Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

2021 Saturday Sprint Race

The Long rumoured Sprint race for qualifying is being proposed for a number of events this season. The F1 community is to vote on this in the very near future. The proposed idea is to have normal qualifying on friday to determine the order of the starting grid for the sprint race on Saturday. And the order the Sprint race finish, would determine the starting grid for the full race on Sunday.

I have to say, l am loving this idea.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 10th February 2021 at 09:12.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Yes, they need to do something and I think this idea has real potential in helping improve the spectacle and spicing things up.
    I've always felt F1 should be more of a sprint than a marathon so I'm pretty stoked about this format, I'm gonna be a bit gutted if they dont vote it in.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    I like the idea. It would give more meat to the weekend.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    I can't see it as workable unless they are allowed a spare car .
    And that's expensive .

5. Likes: truefan72 (11th February 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I can't see it as workable unless they are allowed a spare car .
    And that's expensive .
    It is only for three races this season. But it could be problematic if a team have a damaged car during the sprint race. I suppose they would be leaning on the mechanics more those weekends, as they would be required to make all repairs in preparation for the race the following day during the night. These guys can do that. We have seen that done many times in the past. The real trickly bit is availability of parts. If a crucial part is damaged and it is not readily available to the team to fix the car, we may see some cars not take part in the race the next day.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: truefan72 (11th February 2021)
    At last! it is approved.

The venues where Sprint Qualifying would take place is yet to be officially announced. But suggestions in the grapevine is Silverstone, Monza and COTA. Apparently, points would be awarded to the top three finishers of the Saturday qualifying. First place gets three points, 2nd (2 points), and 3rd (1 point).

Bring it on!
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I will admit that I'm intrigued. Which is an upgrade from my previous disdain.
    The only thing that needs tweaking are the points. I think the top 8 should be rewarded, or even the top 10.
    It makes no sense to simply reward mercedes and red bull with potentially 3-5 extra points every race weekend.

give them to the top 10, with a simple 10-9-8... system and it would probably not change the margins too much, but will give the other teams something to really fight about on Saturday. I understand that it's just to set pole. but you are still stressing the engine and competing for a good number of laps. Seems weird to not reward the driver/teams for that effort.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Well with this thing confirmed for Silverstone now, we will see how it all works out.

I still don't personally like the idea. It's a short period of time and too much chance for real carnage in the pack as everyone fights for GP starting positions and possibly a few points. All it takes is a bad move and that bad move, contact or not, has the potential to screw up multiple drivers race weekend. It already happens in the GP's, and the short time frame and GP grid probably means it will be more likely to happen during the sprint. Not the best idea if you ask me.

As for points, agree with the above. Giving points for only three spots will likely just reward the top teams already more, and the lower ranking teams need the money for development more.

Well, what do we think of the sprint race? Qualifying was ok as we are used to that format. But l have a feeling it would be better with the next season cars which are said to be a lot closer. With the current cars, it did not throw up many surprises. That said, the wise old head of Alonso took full advantage of the sprint race and qualified 7th for the race tomorrow. Though, he was weaving a lot at corners most of the time and the stewards seemed to turn a blind eye to it. Where was that consistency we keep talking about?

It was also brilliant for Russell, but a disaster for Perez. Apart from those, it was very much a procession really. The Mclarens were nowhere to be found from their usual top four positions. I would have thought the sprint may have benefitted Mclaren a lot more with the sort of pace they showed at the last race. What happened there l wonder?

However, it was great to experience what a sprint weekend would look like. And l hope they keep it in the program in the future.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th July 2021 at 19:49.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Hamilton seemed to like it.

I thought it made Friday and Saturday more entertaining.