Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Wow, how l missed that fact. Of course it looks like the Russian flag. I had not seen the front when l wrote my piece about it. But it still has Haas broadly on it. I have wondered why Haas hasn't given an American driver a chance of exposure to F1. A return of Rossi would have been very welcomed. This is formula one, money talks.

It is interesting to see how nationalism is creeping into the F1 paddock. It served its purpose for getting nations to sponsor an F1 events. National flags on car use to be a Ferrari thing . We now see it with Alpine and the use of British flag to unveil the Aston Martin. National pride is a good thing, but nationalism is another thing l think.
    Indeed. it was a bit cringe watching the Aston Martin reveal with the Union Jack as a covering. I guess the brand is a British company. and I suppose they will be playing the British anthem if they do win a race. But I'll give them a half pass at it was only the covering and they were probably going for some retro style thing.

As to the Haas livery, that's another story. Imagine for a second, that they actually win a race. I assume they will still be playing the USA national anthem, and a whole lot of Russians will be confused as to why their A1GP representation is not accompanied by their anthem.

Alpine was more subtle but their intentions were still pretty clear. I wonder if Abiteboul was uncomfortable with the whole nationalism push and part of the reason for his exit.
    nationalistic sentiments in F1 teams is a bad path to go down IMO. It is a truly international sport with all teams having a wide range of nationalities working in all parts of every team. pushing a singular national identity for any team is not a good idea.
    Last edited by truefan72; 4th March 2021 at 18:17.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Indeed. it was a bit cringe watching the Aston Martin reveal with the Union Jack as a covering. I guess the brand is a British company. and I suppose they will be playing the British anthem if they do win a race. But I'll give them a half pass at it was only the covering and they were probably going for some retro style thing.

As to the Haas livery, that's another story. Imagine for a second, that they actually win a race. I assume they will still be playing the USA national anthem, and a whole lot of Russians will be confused as to why their A1GP representation is not accompanied by their anthem.

Alpine was more subtle but their intentions were still pretty clear. I wonder if Abiteboul was uncomfortable with the whole nationalism push and part of the reason for his exit.
    nationalistic sentiments in F1 teams is a bad path to go down IMO. It is a truly international sport with all teams having a wide range of nationalities working in all parts of every team. pushing a singular national identity for any team is not a good idea.
    I am proud of my britishness, but the whole flag covering thing was sick. It put me off the team. I wondered how old Stroll took that one. I thought it was tasteless to say the least. Doing that with a Canadian co-sponsor present was very insensitive.

Alpine, l sort of understand abit. Afterall, the French government bailed out Renault at the start of the COVID pandenmic . They were about to fold it seemed. It is now a national car manufacturing company and the flag is there to make that statement l suppose.

The Russian flag on an American team's car, suggests that Haas does not have the clout of owner anymore. Because that must have been a very bitter pill to swallow. And he has to look at that all season long. Well, he knew the sort of fellow he got into bed with. Not the sort to be respectfull and tasteful in their approach. I doubt Haas would win a grandprix this season, but if the unlike event of them winning one does occur, we would see who is callling the shots on that occasion. If the American antherm is played, l guess it would put Mazepin Snr in his place. If the Russian anthem is played, then l guess it would say Haas is Mazapin's bitch now. I would love to see this one play out actually.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 4th March 2021 at 18:52.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

3. Likes: truefan72 (5th March 2021)
    Final calendar for the 2021 season

William Shakespeare

5. Likes: truefan72 (5th March 2021)
    Williams FW43B 2021 car

William Shakespeare

interesting but not that inspiring.
    Better than the last few years though.
    The lack of sponsorship is still worrisome.

Ferrari SF21 2021 car

William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Ferrari SF21 2021 car

hmm my only change would be to make the entire livery the same red as the rear. that would have been sweet

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    hmm my only change would be to make the entire livery the same red as the rear. that would have been sweet
    Actually, l love this livery. This is easily the first Ferrari livery that has been bold enough to be different from the typical red. It is emblematic of the change that is about to come. And it links its past histories to its present. But it also shows that this is a new generation of management willing to be bold in their approach to racing. I say bravo to them, and hope they are faster this season.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    It appears that Williams and Ferrari have opposing philosophies:
    The Williams has it's old colors on the front - They are chasing their glorious days of the past.
    The Ferrari has it's old colors on the back - They are running away from the past (few seasons).

12. Likes: truefan72 (12th March 2021)
    As there are going to be an array of attachments to the chassis to try to recover the lost downforce at the rear. It is quite clear that all teams are hiding their goodies at launch time. Tomorrow, at testing one, we shall begin to see some of these things being added to the car, and the copy frenzy that follows.

All eyes would be on the Ferrari to see if they have improved at all. And on Mclaren to see what the difference might be to their pace with the Mercedes engine. Of course, we all are curious to see if Honda has managed to find a step forward with their engine. I would guess they would want to leave F1 as engine F1 champions. Well, the BS is over, it is time to show what they have got.
    William Shakespeare

14. Likes: truefan72 (12th March 2021)