Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    "own language answers" don't go out live, they are only used for edited recaps.

I don't understand why people think this penalty will change stage end interviews forever, like no one would say anything anymore. Just try to limit your f-words. I don't think even using the f-word just once in an interview would have resulted in a penalty.
    If they can destroy your championship because of wat you say, it's safer to say nothing at all. After all, they don't even want to hear want you would like to say. They just want some lame bullshit that has no meaning, so they definately don't offend anyone.

You better just write a generic sentence, print it on a piece of paper and show it at every stop.

2. Likes: steve.mandzij (7th June 2021)
    Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    Ostberg's co-driver's reactions was very funny, It looked like he is just trying to support Ostbergs anger :]] Also strange that they didn't ask him to repeat that whole bit about tires in Norwegian : D

4. Likes: cali (7th June 2021)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    If they can destroy your championship because of wat you say, it's safer to say nothing at all. After all, they don't even want to hear want you would like to say. They just want some lame bullshit that has no meaning, so they definately don't offend anyone.

You better just write a generic sentence, print it on a piece of paper and show it at every stop.
    Right.... a bit more drama please.

As AnttiL wrote and you quoted, you hear one swear word at least 2-3 times every rally from different drivers and nobody ever got penalized for that and I don't think they will. It was also correctly pointed out that you can express emotions and meaning extremely well without swearing.

Going full retard is something else, never go full retard.

Østberg was not on Panizzi's level yet though: https://youtu.be/N1dawGiMEzM?t=61 (do watch to whole vid, for some Safari reality back in the days)

Note that Panizzi didn't swear once, just went to punch the other driver in the face... and got kicked from the rally. Those nasty FIA officials didn't want him to express his emotions.
    Last edited by mknight; 7th June 2021 at 08:10.

6. Likes: AnttiL (7th June 2021)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I actually think his fine was because of a combination of 'fruity' language - and also the absolute damning criticism of the awful Pirelli tyres. You can't criticise an official FiA supplier/sponsor.....it doesn't go down well.

However, later in the day, Pirelli suffered a much higher profile embarrassment due to their poor tyres.......

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

8. Likes: AnttiL (7th June 2021),Fast Eddie WRC (7th June 2021)
    Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    I actually think his fine was because of a combination of 'fruity' language - and also the absolute damning criticism of the awful Pirelli tyres. You can't criticise an official FiA supplier/sponsor.....it doesn't go down well.

However, later in the day, Pirelli suffered a much higher profile embarrassment due to their poor tyres.......
    Pirelli has an embarrassment of a weekend with F1 and WRC. But I'm with you, more than the "lively" language, I think the Pirelli criticism is what got him the fine. Maybe they should fine Max for kicking the tyre as well.

10. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (7th June 2021)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    I think Ostberg went a bit over the top, it was not "just swearing" it was quite aggressive swearing and demeanor so he got the penalty, the points deduction is suspended so more like a warning. If he just said "fuck these tyres" i'm sure it would have been overlooked. I can understand he was very tired and had layers and layers of frustration building but once you open the door a switch should go off in your head to control yourself. I think the suspended penalty will remind him and others to keep it below a certain level. I love a real character and an f-bomb here and there but there is a line somewhere.

Otherwise i enjoyed the rally, although it was not very intense it was an attrition rally and was waiting for the next issue for someone. Interesting that Adamo "predicted" Sordo's mistake by saying he sometimes cracks under pressure in an interview, if I heard it correctly.

12. Likes: AnttiL (7th June 2021),cali (7th June 2021),dimviii (7th June 2021)
    Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Right.... a bit more drama please.

As AnttiL wrote and you quoted, you hear one swear word at least 2-3 times every rally from different drivers and nobody ever got penalized for that and I don't think they will. It was also correctly pointed out that you can express emotions and meaning extremely well without swearing.

Exactly, nobody got punished. Because it was never considered illegal.

So why did they feel like they suddenly had to change that? Would we dare to say it's because it was aimed at the tyres of a big sponsor of the championship?

Østberg was not on Panizzi's level yet though: https://youtu.be/N1dawGiMEzM?t=61 (do watch to whole vid, for some Safari reality back in the days)

Note that Panizzi didn't swear once, just went to punch the other driver in the face... and got kicked from the rally. Those nasty FIA officials didn't want him to express his emotions.
    Please take note that punching people is illegal in most countries, while swearing is not. Especially not when it is not aimed at a person but at objects.

14. Likes: Kaps (7th June 2021),pantealex (7th June 2021)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Some of the challenge here is non native speakers trying to swear in english, but chooses to do it in american.

When working in a international organisation, I often overheard brits that was asked the question; What is the difference btw english and american languages.
    many different answers of course, the best one was giver by a senior UK officer:
    You take the english language, and stip it of 50% of the words.
    Then when you speak, you replace 50% of the words with fuck, shit and bitch - then you are close.
    An Amecican general present smiled and said, I am sorry to say you are right. This is American pop culture's gift to the world!

The penalty Mads got is imo way to hard. If you are to start tightening in on language use then all drivers need to be told before you start making examples.
    Last edited by Sulland; 7th June 2021 at 10:03.

16. Likes: Franky (7th June 2021)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    #M-SPORTER

18. Likes: dimviii (7th June 2021),dupanton (7th June 2021),Eli (7th June 2021),er88 (7th June 2021),Jewy46 (8th June 2021),pantealex (7th June 2021),Sulland (7th June 2021)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    The difference between Ogier...

And Evans.
    #M-SPORTER

20. Likes: br21 (7th June 2021),cali (7th June 2021),dimviii (7th June 2021),pantealex (7th June 2021),steve.mandzij (7th June 2021)