Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Who said after every stage? Not me.

Punctures comes randomly. We all know that. Having one spare would make it easier to retire during a leg. Two spares - still you can be out within the leg.

Having done all day to finish of last stage with only having liasion is what I´m talking about. With such rule we would have seen Ott on Sunday as well. Not for the podium but a chance to get PS points. And for the joy for spectators. Not more not less.

Read again my dear fellows.
    Okay, punctures come randomly. So how organizer should choose where to put tire/wheel flea market?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I still fail to see why this needs any sort of "solution". I mean it has worked for years and decades. Why do we need to suddenly start inventing weird and crazy stuff just because Tänak once retired?

This is all bullshit. Retirement because of punctures is retirement just like from any other reason - broken suspension, damaged radiator, whatever. The obsession about keeping the cars in the game at any cost is ridiculous, like if super rally itself was not alien enough to the concept of rallying.
    Yes, I'm not the one saying it needs a solution, but just trying to suggest something more realistic than having tyre vans at the last TC before service.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    This a sport. Every sport wants to attract their fans. Having fever and fever drivers on top level I think we should care about them as much as possible. What happened was obviously something that could have been fixed in order to give fans what they want.
    Oh yeah, we totally missed the experience of watching Tänak saving his tyres throughout Sunday morning!

4. Likes: b3637853 (1st February 2021),cali (25th January 2021),Mirek (25th January 2021),pantealex (25th January 2021)
    Liked 2,117 Times in 916 Posts
    Weren't there service vans at the end of stages back in the days? Or tyre changes in the middle of stages?

Was it also ruining the true rallying back then?

6. Likes: Rallyper (25th January 2021)
    Liked 1,121 Times in 600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I still fail to see why this needs any sort of "solution". I mean it has worked for years and decades. Why do we need to suddenly start inventing weird and crazy stuff just because Tänak once retired?
    But this hasn't worked for decades.

We used to have flying service, then came tyre mousse, and then rally2. Untill 2006 they were allowed to drive on 3 wheels as long as they weren't stopped by the police.

You talk of superrally being alien to the sport, but you seem to forget that before that they just had service after every stage. A broken suspension or damaged radiator would not have caused a retirement in the old days.

We should bring back mobile service. Allow every team a small van and 2 mechanics.

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Okay, punctures come randomly. So how organizer should choose where to put tire/wheel flea market?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    Read again. Only after last stage before service, or even maybe only after last stage per day.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Oh yeah, we totally missed the experience of watching Tänak saving his tyres throughout Sunday morning!
    Skip the Tanak talk. It´s not about him. Spare us a lot of fuzztalk.

I just want to bring up an issue not good for the sport.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    This whole topic is insane (appart from the WRC2/3 rules which already fit in their own topic).

Poor Tanak retires and suddenly we should talk for ages about "stupid" rules. Driving on 3 turning wheels in any way shape or form is not good for the sport in terms of any public image as well as competition fairness (drivers stopped in UK and not in Mexico etc.), that's why there are rules about that. Nothing stupid about it.

11. Likes: AnttiL (31st July 2021),cali (25th January 2021),pantealex (25th January 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    You talk of superrally being alien to the sport, but you seem to forget that before that they just had service after every stage. A broken suspension or damaged radiator would not have caused a retirement in the old days.
    From 1995 to 2006 there was no fly-in service nor superrally. Well, from 1995 to 2001 there was still multiple service parks, but 2001-2006 was mostly single service park with no superrally.

Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    We should bring back mobile service. Allow every team a small van and 2 mechanics.
    Think about this: how can the service van get to the end of the stage faster than the rally car? Yes, they can't. That's why in the past they had two service groups (or god knows if Lancia had more) who skipped every second stage in order to make it work. So you can already double the vans. Then what if all the team has 1-2-3 in the rally and all the three cars come to the service at the same time? Yes, they need to have 2 mechanics for every driver. So it's suddenly two vans and 12 mechanics. Not so simple anymore.

I think it's only positive that we don't have flying service anymore. In that way the sport has now more endurance aspect than before. You could even service during the stage in the crazy old days.

I could speak for having a remote service area which could be set somewhere during the leg, on a designated area, with a limited amount of mechanics and parts, but I know that teams are already complaining of remote tyre zones (where the drivers change the tyres by themselves and the team only has to bring the tyres to the zone).

14. Likes: pantealex (25th January 2021)