Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Liked 194 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    We could make it like the golden stage in cyprus. End the rally, stop the timing, award the points, give everyone new tyres and service, and let them drive as fast as they can without other worries.
    This, with the reduction of points to 3-2-1, seems the most fair proposition.

2. Likes: cali (1st August 2021),Fast Eddie WRC (3rd August 2021)
    Liked 8,064 Times in 3,573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    So a golden stage would be the best of both worlds. Drivers have a reason to push on a stage, but the fight is more equal for everybody. And they can driver faster all of sunday, since they don't need to save their tyres.
    I repeat: if drivers are in "no-mands-land" with minutes back and front or super rally, they have no reason to push anyway. Of course they won't drive road mode, but not pushing for stage wins either. This is a part of rallying.

The golden stage would split the excitement of rally win and power stage win into two different stages. And both would have to be televised.

For me one part of power stage excitement is that the extra point risk is included in the whole rally result. It's really extraordinary when someone wins the rally and the power stage, they are willing to risk the rally win for the extra points.

4. Likes: pantealex (1st August 2021)
    Liked 781 Times in 431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I repeat: if drivers are in "no-mands-land" with minutes back and front or super rally, they have no reason to push anyway. Of course they won't drive road mode, but not pushing for stage wins either. This is a part of rallying.

The golden stage would split the excitement of rally win and power stage win into two different stages. And both would have to be televised.

For me one part of power stage excitement is that the extra point risk is included in the whole rally result. It's really extraordinary when someone wins the rally and the power stage, they are willing to risk the rally win for the extra points.
    as i said, nothing can make drivers push on all stages except giving points for every stage. that's nothing new.

but you're missing the point here. the problem is that drivers cruise through at the speed of their grandmother to save their tyres for the powerstage, where they would otherwise just drive fast but safe as they did before. the fact that they can get more points by driving very slow has actually ruined a big part of sunday.

the powerstage splits the excitement anyway.

Liked 8,064 Times in 3,573 Posts
    Yeah, I know there is no easy solution.

I tried to find earlier examples of this tyre saving thing. Ogier has seemed to attempt it in Portugal 2018 (having crashed on Friday). He finished 10th, 16th and 9th on the "normal" Sunday stages, won the Fafe first run but finished only 8th on the power stage. His tyre saving tactics wasn't enough because of the compromised starting position?

Liked 62 Times in 35 Posts
    Keep 5-4-3-2-1 for the power stage but pay higher points in the rally (35-28-25-22-20-18-16-14-12-10?)

Liked 3,268 Times in 971 Posts
    Why should tenth be awarded with nearly 1/3 of the points of the winner?

9. Likes: AnttiL (3rd August 2021),focus206 (3rd August 2021),pantealex (4th August 2021)
    Liked 370 Times in 182 Posts
    I don't see why we would need this "let's assign one billion points to everybody for whatever accomplishment they get in a rally". So we end up like NASCAR and their classifications with 5278 points per driver.
    Already assigning points to the top 10 is generous, considering usually we have less than 10 WRC cars. To me, being faster than Rally2 cars is not good enough to score points, but I understand we cannot change the point scoring system every time, according to the number of WRC cars.