Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    As if those 4 tyres mean anything when it comes to cost saving.
    Don't tell that to me.

I only stated how it is.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Regarding flying service, in 1990 I accidentally passed from the yard Toyota had its service cars one day before Acropolis. I counted 27 small and big trucks.
    And in 1985 I have seen with my own eyes Blomqvist's Audi (finished 2nd that year) and Wittman's Golf (1st in GrA) about 500 m. out of the official liaison section, in the city of Athens, spending more than one hour in the building of the official VW-Audi dealer in Greece, while they traveled in the night to the park-ferme before the last day. Both of the cars arrived there in racing speeds, got into the building and all doors closed as soon as they got in. They were also driven in racing speeds when they left for the Time Control, which was about 50 kms away.
    Flying service must not return in any form, for any reason. Although I loved it when we had it in Greek championship, it is extremely expensive and can lead to situations of dishonesty.

3. Likes: AnttiL (27th January 2021),cali (27th January 2021),Mirek (27th January 2021),Rally Hokkaido (28th January 2021)
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    EDIT: Joking aside, this kind of rule would obviously be very hard to put into practice.
    It's hardly rocket science.

I think something should be done, esp with the PS now scoring Manu points.

There could be all kinds of tactics, not just tyre-saving, at the end of the season when the title is decided. Some cars could be cruising all rally to stay in good condition in case they're 'needed' to go all-out for the PS Manu points.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    It's hardly rocket science.

I think something should be done, esp with the PS now scoring Manu points.

There could be all kinds of tactics, not just tyre-saving, at the end of the season when the title is decided. Some cars could be cruising all rally to stay in good condition in case they're 'needed' to go all-out for the PS Manu points.
    I don’t see this happening. You can only nominate three cars to score points. Being positioned high gives more points than power stage, so it makes no sense to cruise during the beginning of the event just for those few power stage points.

Having ”maximum times” would disqualify drivers who get a puncture or a spin or some other issue...and you guys would complain again!

Meanwhile, I don’t like the new power stage point additions.

6. Likes: pantealex (28th January 2021)
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    If all 3 nominated cars finish and the 2 highest placed get the overall Manu points, cant their 3rd highest car be used to go flat-out to try to bag maximum Manu points on the PS ?

This might not happen early in the season but near the end, if the standings are tight, it could.

Possibly another recipe for tactics and confusion.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    If all 3 nominated cars finish and the 2 highest placed get the overall Manu points, cant their 3rd highest car be used to go flat-out to try to bag maximum Manu points on the PS ?

This might not happen early in the season but near the end, if the standings are tight, it could.

Possibly another recipe for tactics and confusion.
    I see that as right way to do it.

Power Stage flat out !

Biggest problem is if that 3rd car gets DNF it could give more personal points to opponents.
    If 3rd car is doing Rally2(superrally) then it´s different story...
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 443 Times in 105 Posts
    Since we have this thread I would like to bring up something I found unnecessarily unfair ever since I started following all stages of a rally - Starting order on Friday. Most of the time championship leader is put into a tough position but is able suffer through the day and start fighting back over the rest of the weekend. Under certain circumstances however the starting position can eliminate him completely from the competition with no chance of fighting back. (See Sweden 2018 discussion in the arctic rally thread)
    What could be changed? How about making the thursday evening's mickey mouse stage decide the order? First finisher could choose the starting position first, second finisher can choose after that etc. This way starting order positive or negative effects would be more consistent throughout the year (gravel vs tarmac rallys) It would also bring more excitement to thursdays stage. Assuming we can get back to the pre COVID rally setups in the future.

You might argue that thursdays stage is most of the time not charachteristic of the rest of the rally and therefor not suitable but in my opinion it would still be better than current system.

What are your thoughts on the starting order and would you change it in any way?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    That is a neverending discussion. I don't know how long you follow rallying but basically everything was already tried (including qualification stage which is still in use in ERC).

By the way it's not true that the friday starting order is always disadvantage for the first runners. Sometimes it is even big advantage, typically in Germany, often on other asphalts, sometimes in Monte carlo, sometimes even on gravel - for example in night dusty stages or in strong rain, even on snow it can be sometimes an advantage. For sure on most of the gravel events it's big disadvantage but in the end the consensus is that it doesn't limit the best drivers that much - Ogier and especially Loeb opened the road countless times and it didn't stop them from crushing their opponents. Also from the audience perspective it adds some spice to the show.

By the way to start first will be likely a decisive advantage in Ypres, if that event takes place.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: AnttiL (29th January 2021),cali (30th January 2021),dimviii (29th January 2021),Eli (31st July 2021),pantealex (29th January 2021),Rallyper (31st January 2021),steve.mandzij (29th January 2021),TWRC (31st January 2021)

13. Likes: cali (31st July 2021)
    I don't find this a problem myself, but apparently many people do.

Like Matton says, adding fresh tyres is an easy solution, but against cost/environmental idealism. At the same time, it wouldn't mean super rally restarters would push for stage wins in the morning stages, they would still just have to get through without breaking the car.

One solution would be to remove all Sunday stages except power stage (and it's first run). Less rallying in total, but also less cruising, if that's really a problem.