Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    What if they return the qualifying stage to determine the starting order of day 1, and mark the tyres used there and make those the ones to be used for the powerstage. One solution for two problems, except if the weather conditions on PS are very different from QS, then new tyres only for PS could be an (expensive) option.

Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    Power stage poses certain unfair situations and tyres is not the only one. If someone is first or second with big gap from the next one, it is not wise to risk in the last stage so he has a disadvantage. We have seen this many times because it is simply common sense. This is actually a punishment to the most successful driver of the rally. What is fair about punishing the most successful or making him take risks that are stupid to take?
    Also, tyre issue cannot be solved without fresh tyres for everyone, which means an annual 15000 cost for each car. I don't know if this is a problem for teams with multi-million budgets, but I don't see any other solution.
    Reducing the whole duration of actual rallying just for the Sunday TV is something that I would not like to see. Rallies are already too small, to the point that they have lost every element of adventure for the spectators. Spectating used to be an adventure and this was an element that spectators loved about rallying. Now it is like going to a hillclimb or even a football match.

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    We could make it like the golden stage in cyprus. End the rally, stop the timing, award the points, give everyone new tyres and service, and let them drive as fast as they can without other worries.

4. Likes: scn (1st August 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    We could make it like the golden stage in cyprus. End the rally, stop the timing, award the points, give everyone new tyres and service, and let them drive as fast as they can without other worries.
    To me this seems odd, like having an external rallycross contest on the side of the actual rally

Think from the perspective of someone who is restarting on Sunday just to score on this Golden Stage, why would they push at all on the Sunday stages? It doesn't solve the actual issue.

Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Well they're not going to get rid of it; it's become a 'selling point' of the sport/ event. To be honest, I've never had a problem with drivers cruising on the final day, that to is a skill; but maybe that's because I watch plenty of GT racing and is quite common.

I don't like the fact people on SupeRally/ Rally 2 have an advantage for the Power Stage; that doesn't make sense; that needs changing.

However, not that I think could work in the WRC, but I like what they do in the Enduro MTB series; on two rounds, they've run a Friday night 'super stage' which counts towards the event, but award extra points - before the 4 stages the following day, including a re-run of the super stage.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

7. Likes: pantealex (31st July 2021),scn (1st August 2021)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I don't find this a problem myself, but apparently many people do.
    Toyota driver Elfyn Evans says enough’s enough. The time has come for change.

“If you’ve had a tough weekend and you’re running, say, sixth or something like that, then you have somebody who has retired on Thursday, saved their tires and comes back to win the powerstage and take the five points. You’ve driven the whole route for eight points and they’ve done a stage and taken five or something like that. It feels disproportionate.”

You think this is fair Antti ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Toyota driver Elfyn Evans says enough’s enough. The time has come for change.

“If you’ve had a tough weekend and you’re running, say, sixth or something like that, then you have somebody who has retired on Thursday, saved their tires and comes back to win the powerstage and take the five points. You’ve driven the whole route for eight points and they’ve done a stage and taken five or something like that. It feels disproportionate.”

You think this is fair Antti ?
    Yes. First of all, it's not so easy to get 5 power stage points. Even with your preserved tyres, you had to drive the stage without mistakes. And remember that super rally restarters are first WRC cars on the road.

Meanwhile, if you're sixth, why not take a gamble at saving your tyres throughout Sunday? You might drop a place, but you could get five more points from the power stage?

At the same time, this is a whole different topic. Elfyn is questioning whether power stage should have this much value or not.

10. Likes: pantealex (1st August 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    However, not that I think could work in the WRC, but I like what they do in the Enduro MTB series; on two rounds, they've run a Friday night 'super stage' which counts towards the event, but award extra points - before the 4 stages the following day, including a re-run of the super stage.
    So essentially it's just a power stage, but they have it already at the end of first day? Does the super stage award extra points on Saturday as well?

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    To me this seems odd, like having an external rallycross contest on the side of the actual rally

Think from the perspective of someone who is restarting on Sunday just to score on this Golden Stage, why would they push at all on the Sunday stages? It doesn't solve the actual issue.
    The whole idea of a powerstage is strange. It doesn't belong to the concept of rally. The fastest drivers should get the points in my eyes, and nothing more.

But i understand it was implemented so drivers would push on at least one stage on sunday, which they could then show on tv.

So a golden stage would be the best of both worlds. Drivers have a reason to push on a stage, but the fight is more equal for everybody. And they can driver faster all of sunday, since they don't need to save their tyres.

Nothing can make drivers push on all stages except giving points for every stage.

Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts
    I remember when they used to say that Power stage was also a way for super-rally drivers to have something to fight for and not end the weekend with 0 points. It's normal they'll have an advantage compared to the drivers who are in point scoring positions.
    But I think 3-2-1 point system is more proportionate than 5-4-3-2-1.