Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    To be frank, I think Mercedes should give Hamilton the middle finger and swoop for George Russell from Williams. Buying out his contract would be cheaper than Hamilton’s demands and they’d still win both championships. Hamilton is good but he’s not that good and his demands, if these claims are accurate, are absolutely ludicrous.

Also, I think he recognises how good Russell is and that’s why he wants a teammate veto. He knows he can beat Bottas but he probably doesn’t want to chance Russell in 2022.

2. Likes: Fortitude (13th February 2021),Mia 01 (22nd January 2021)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    To be frank, I think Mercedes should give Hamilton the middle finger and swoop for George Russell from Williams. Buying out his contract would be cheaper than Hamilton’s demands and they’d still win both championships. Hamilton is good but he’s not that good and his demands, if these claims are accurate, are absolutely ludicrous.

Also, I think he recognises how good Russell is and that’s why he wants a teammate veto. He knows he can beat Bottas but he probably doesn’t want to chance Russell in 2022.

I've read that Merc only want to give him a one year deal while he wants four... and one of the other rumours is that he also wants a say on who his team mate would be... if I was Merc that would be way off base for me too. Russell would be signed straight away, I certainly wouldn't be wasting any time to see who blinks first.

If it doesnt happen then maybe there is a lot of truth in it... but until then I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt.

4. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022),Mia 01 (22nd January 2021)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

The middle finger would be a great way to treat a champion that has brought Mercedes seven cnonstructors titles and six driver titles. I suppose it is great none of us are part of the negotiation team for Mercedes.

Besides, all we have to go on, are rumours and speculations. The bottom line is there is a value in Euros for a Seven times world champion still in his prime and capable of winning more championships. It would be fair for Mercedes to pay that value. Anything less would be disrespectful to the service provided by Hamilton. And would indicate to future drivers what Mercedes really think of them.

I think 40 Million is low but respectable. Negotiations are just what it means, he says, they say and combined they meet in the middle.

That said, l would love to see Russell in the Mercedes as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 18th January 2021 at 13:31.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022),truefan72 (18th January 2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The middle finger would be a great way to treat a champion that has brought Mercedes seven cnonstructors titles and six driver titles. I suppose it is great none of us are part of the negotiation team for Mercedes.

Besides, all we have to go on, are rumours and speculations. The bottom line is there is a value in Euros of a Seven times world champion still in his prime and capable of winning more championships. It would be fair for Mercedes to pay that value. Anything less would be disrespectful to the service provided by Hamilton. And would indicate to future drivers what Mercedes really think of them.

I think 40 Million is low but respectable. Negotiations are just what it means, he says, they say and combined they meet in the middle.

That said, l would love to see Russell in the Mercedes as soon as possible.

Merc provided Lewis with a dominant car. If they hadn't provided it or if he had been driving for any other team, he wouldn't have all his 7 WDC's or Merc inflated stock value. Thats just an undeniable fact that you seem to be overlooking.

We are entering probably the biggest global recession since WW2, people are business's, jobs and even starving all over the world.. but what the heck lets ask for a wage increase. Moral bankruptcy and greed at its finest.

8. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Merc provided Lewis with a dominant car. If they hadn't provided it or if he had been driving for any other team, he wouldn't have all his 7 WDC's or Merc inflated stock value. Thats just an undeniable fact that you seem to be overlooking.

We are entering probably the biggest global recession since WW2, people are business's, jobs and even starving all over the world.. but what the heck lets ask for a wage increase. Moral bankruptcy and greed at its finest.
    It is only a reccession because of the lockdowns. When Vaccines have been rolled out to all, things may return to normal. So it should not be looked at from a temporary situation stand point.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts
    It is only a reccession because of the lockdowns. When Vaccines have been rolled out to all, things may return to normal. So it should not be looked at from a temporary situation stand point.
    The problem you have is countries have been printing/borrowing money to try an minimize the effects of the deepening recession and to try and keep them from being a "depression". The recession the world is in is still growing. But even after Covid-19 is put behind us (hopefully), there is consequences to all the borrowing - it will mean governments will have to take austerity measures and/or raise taxes - this will hamper economic growth, reinvestment and recovery.

The question for 2021 is how long and deep the recession be? And when economic growth starts how strong will it be? Most analyst seem to be only predicting most 2-3% growth. There will be pressure on companies to cut spending in areas that are not essential.

The UKs debt is currently at 105% of its GDP, it was at 85% in June iirc, also.. the Bank of England have printed off over £280 billion in cash (quantative easing) which doesnt hit us as debt, it devalues our currency/increases inflation instead.
    This isn't going to suddenly end and everything goes back to normal. The financial impact of this is going to be felt for many, many years once this is over..

You should check out the world debt clocks, not pretty.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    So there is rumors/discussion that the delay in Hamilton contract is what he is demanding:

1. 4 Yr Contract, 40 million per year
    2. AMG-one Hyper car (3 million)
    3. 10% share of Mercedes team bonuses
    4. Hamilton want a place at the table in the Mercedes "green" programs

Supposedly Mercedes is balking and would rather replace him with Russell. Ineos want's Hamilton. Wolf is on the fence. But one report I saw that Ineos might be willing to pay his salary directly which may break the deadlock.
    I believe Planet F1 is the originator of this rumor which cast everything in doubt.

I think Hamilton was be asking for a 2-year contract not a 4 year, but with an option for the next 2 years after that.
    that $40m per year is not unreasonable given his contributions to the team and the currency value.
    Let's not forget that in 1996 MSC signed a 2 year Ferrari contract for $60m which is about $100.4million inflation adjusted today.
    MSC salary peaked at $38M per year back then.

I'm also sure they would accommodate him on the other 3 components if he requested them.
    He helped develop the hypercar and is very involved with green initiatives as well. so having him as an ambassador of sorts will only elevate those programs.
    I believe they are much closer than the media wants to sensationalize it and there really is plenty of time to sort it out.

Time will tell and we shall see what emerges.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    besides, Mercedes is not getting paid from fans showing up at the races. They are getting paid through the FIA/FOM deals and their sponsorships, who in turn get paid primarily through their sponsorship and media (TV, etc.) contracts. If anything 2020 was an even more profitable year for them and all involved, except for the maligned race organizers. Certainly from the captive tv audience alone. So the recession has nothing to do with their bottom line. The Mercedes team itself is exceptionally profitable and well funded. And a branding behemoth. So much so that ineos, so it fit to invest heavily in the team.
    Hamilton is a global icon and legendary driver, as well as a very big part of the reason this team is where it is.
    TBH I'm surprised he isn't asking for more. Yet some folks on here (predictably) downplay his efforts and were probably the same folks cheering on MSC to get all he can back in the day. This is further bolstered by the fact that these same folks had nothing to say when Vettel got his immense Ferrari contract and Verstappen his RBR contract.

oh well
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I believe Planet F1 is the originator of this rumor which cast everything in doubt.
    There are plenty of sites discussing the "rumors". Some are now characterizing the discussions as "sources" are saying.

I think Hamilton was be asking for a 2-year contract not a 4 year, but with an option for the next 2 years after that.
    that $40m per year is not unreasonable given his contributions to the team and the currency value.
    Let's not forget that in 1996 MSC signed a 2 year Ferrari contract for $60m which is about $100.4million inflation adjusted today.
    MSC salary peaked at $38M per year back then.
    When Mercedes is being projected to have reduce their headcounts by 10,000 and facing angry investors, it is not going to go over well if they are paying a record salary to a driver. Regardless who it is.

Ola Kallenius, Chairman of Daimler's Board of Directors, is not served by that attitude. He has had to cut many jobs as a result of the crisis caused by the coronavirus and would not understand why the Formula 1 driver should still have the same budget as in 2020.
    https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/76191...-in-money.html

I think Hamilton over values his worth. I think Russell help show that his value is not as high as he thinks - that is why Hamilton came back so quick after covid even though he wasn't fully recovered - he wanted to minimize the loss to his value.

It will be interesting to see who blinks.

15. Likes: Fortitude (13th February 2021)