Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    What ferrari wants doesn't matter. As long as they don't build a car that is superior to the mercedes lewis will not come their way.

Hamilton will just stay at mercedes or retire. Everything else would be a unnecessary step backward.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    What ferrari wants doesn't matter. As long as they don't build a car that is superior to the mercedes lewis will not come their way.

Hamilton will just stay at mercedes or retire. Everything else would be a unnecessary step backward.
    The F1 Management are also trying to impose a cap of 30 million for two pilots per team. Hamilton alone earns more than that per year. This move would affect Vettel, Ricciado, Verstapenn also directly. Leclerc and Sainz are close to maximum they can ever earn.

These F1 management guys are control freaks. WTF

Drivers salary is not the problem of the smaller teams struggling to stay in the sport. Why do they feel the need to meddle in areas that do not concern them. Teams are not stupid to require this sort of interference. They pay what they think is a fair wage.

That said, it would be interesting to see what driver loyalty would be like in the future. If a team is paying the same wage as anyone else, then driver do not have to put up with an under performing team if they are able to go elsewhere with better performance and paying the same max wage.

It would be interesting to see how the drivers react to this. I expect there would be a flux out of F1 to other Formula's offering higher wages than F1 is offering. It presents other formulas an opportunity to establish themselves as the pinacle of motor racing, as that position would be vacant from 2022.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th February 2021 at 20:28.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

3. Likes: Fortitude (16th February 2021),truefan72 (18th February 2021)
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Tom Rubythons’ book Fatal Weekend is a phenomenal book. I have both a paperback edition and a hardback edition. I also bought a paperback edition and gave it away as a gift to a friend.

I recommend it to anybody who has an interest in Formula 1 and I have provided three pages as attachments to whet your appetite and encourage you to buy a copy.

Having said that, those three pages show how contracts are conducted privately and discreetly. It is an eye opener, into the ‘F1 circus’.

I ‘sense’, I have a hunch, maybe Lewis Hamilton MAY go to Ferrari for 2022, he didn’t get his four year contract, so would be questioning Mercedes commitment to him and there is George Russell… …maybe waiting in the wings…

If the Mercedes car is dominant, then the Mercedes management may be wondering why they are paying so much for Lewis Hamilton…

There are a lot of variables to consider for 2022.

Attachment 2044

Attachment 2047

Attachment 2048
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fortitude; 16th February 2021 at 21:10.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post

Drivers salary is not the problem of the smaller teams struggling to stay in the sport. Why do they feel the need to meddle in areas that do not concern them.
    You're absolutely right. But remember, we're talking about the same geniuses who thought that they needed to impose limits on how often drivers could change their helmet liveries. If there's a "problem" that doesn't need solving, and fifteen that do, the FIA will jump all over the one that doesn't need solving. In the words of Kevin Hart: "It's what I do."

Personally, I'm OK with Lewis retiring once he secures #10. Then Merc can recruit my boy Danny Ric for Lewis' seat and George Russell for Valtteri's seat. With that, I'm happy. Well wait, since I'm dreaming, I want the grid girls back too! But let's take one fantasy at a time.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

6. Likes: Fortitude (18th February 2021)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The F1 Management are also trying to impose a cap of 30 million for two pilots per team. Hamilton alone earns more than that per year. This move would affect Vettel, Ricciado, Verstapenn also directly. Leclerc and Sainz are close to maximum they can ever earn.

Drivers salary is not the problem of the smaller teams struggling to stay in the sport. Why do they feel the need to meddle in areas that do not concern them. Teams are not stupid to require this sort of interference. They pay what they think is a fair wage.

That said, it would be interesting to see what driver loyalty would be like in the future. If a team is paying the same wage as anyone else, then driver do not have to put up with an under performing team if they are able to go elsewhere with better performance and paying the same max wage.

It would be interesting to see how the drivers react to this. I expect there would be a flux out of F1 to other Formula's offering higher wages than F1 is offering. It presents other formulas an opportunity to establish themselves as the pinacle of motor racing, as that position would be vacant from 2022.
    Actually I think all the drivers should revolt against this decision and refuse to drive should a salary cost cap come into effect. F1 management are overreaching here big time and it’s up to the drivers to draw the line and tell them fuck off or we won’t drive.

8. Likes: Fortitude (18th February 2021)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    And what magic Formula would that be that could offer a driver a salary in the region of 15 million $ a year? Indycar runs an entire team on that budget, as does Formula E (Jaguar spent around 12m $ on the 2019 FE season according to Forbes).
    The only racing series that comes close is NASCAR, where the top three drivers earn around 15 to 18 million $ a year. Not enough of a difference IMO to see top F1 drivers suddenly want to race tin-tops.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

10. Likes: Fortitude (18th February 2021)
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Actually I think all the drivers should revolt against this decision and refuse to drive should a salary cost cap come into effect. F1 management are overreaching here big time and it’s up to the drivers to draw the line and tell them fuck off or we won’t drive.
    There is nothing like calling it, for how it is...

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    And what magic Formula would that be that could offer a driver a salary in the region of 15 million $ a year? Indycar runs an entire team on that budget, as does Formula E (Jaguar spent around 12m $ on the 2019 FE season according to Forbes).
    The only racing series that comes close is NASCAR, where the top three drivers earn around 15 to 18 million $ a year. Not enough of a difference IMO to see top F1 drivers suddenly want to race tin-tops.
    Well that is the picture at this moment in time. What it would be in the future is another matter.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Well that is the picture at this moment in time. What it would be in the future is another matter.
    The not too distant future, though, with F1 salary caps poised to arrive in 2023. What series in your opinion will within two years be able to grow - amid the current economic climate - to a state where its teams can offer driver salaries in the region of 15 million $ a year?
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.