Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts

Hamilton 2021 Contract

So there is rumors/discussion that the delay in Hamilton contract is what he is demanding:

1. 4 Yr Contract, 40 million per year
    2. AMG-one Hyper car (3 million)
    3. 10% share of Mercedes team bonuses
    4. Hamilton want a place at the table in the Mercedes "green" programs

Supposedly Mercedes is balking and would rather replace him with Russell. Ineos want's Hamilton. Wolf is on the fence. But one report I saw that Ineos might be willing to pay his salary directly which may break the deadlock.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Yes, if its true his contract demands are not very realistic in this current economic climate. Totally understandable reaction from Merc and a masterstroke putting Russell in the car to strengthen their negotiating position.

I'd love to see Russell in the Merc for 21 but I reckon either Ineos will pay it... or Hamilton will back down.. He needs Mercedes more than Mercedes feel that they need him.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    So there is rumors/discussion that the delay in Hamilton contract is what he is demanding:

1. 4 Yr Contract, 40 million per year
    2. AMG-one Hyper car (3 million)
    3. 10% share of Mercedes team bonuses
    4. Hamilton want a place at the table in the Mercedes "green" programs

Supposedly Mercedes is balking and would rather replace him with Russell. Ineos want's Hamilton. Wolf is on the fence. But one report I saw that Ineos might be willing to pay his salary directly which may break the deadlock.
    I think Mercedes may be slowly withdrawing from F1. They have started by selling most of their shares to Ineos. Hence l doubt Hamilton would want a four year contract. But if so, he is worth every single cent of the 40 million.

But l can see the move to Russell to save cost with reduced involvement by Mercedes. It poses a real problem for Ineos because they have bought into the Mercedes-Hamilton golden goose but with Hamilton leaving would essentially leave them with a goose that may probably lay a golden egg or some thing resembling an egg.

The smart move is to jettison Bottas and promote Russell into the second seat. Hamilton has nothing to lose if he walks today. He would be walking away at the top of his game, unbeaten and with seven times world titles under his belt. He has nothing else to prove. He has done it all.

Mercedes need Hamilton more than he needs them. Well, at least to win that last most coveted F1 title in its current form before it becomes a rat race. I am sure Hamilton would want that as would Woolf l guess. To make it a silver wash from 2014 to the very end of this era of F1 racing in 2021. The Mercedes of the 2022 era may be very much a shadow of its current guise. There may be half the commitment of Mercedes to the team thereon.

What he is asking is not unreasonable at all, in the scheme of things. Considering the amount of money involved from constructors championship revenue and revenue generated from the incredible advertising that the F1 success brings. Plus having Hamilton in their car, who also happens to be the most marketable sports personality of the last five years.

It would be foolhardy to base a decision on the flash in one race offered by Russell. That is not to say Russell may not be successfull. But he has to be given time to grow into that world champion that he promises to be, rather than place unfair pressure on his shoulders and burn him out in the process. It did not work for Albon or even Gasly at Redbull, l wonder why it would work for Russell at Mercedes.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th January 2021 at 18:12.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: truefan72 (18th January 2021)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It would be foolhardy to base a decision on the flash in one race offered by Russell. That is not to say Russell may not be successfull. But he has to be given time to grow into that world champion that he promises to be, rather than place unfair pressure on his shoulders and burn him out in the process.
    I very much agree with you that Russell is a promising talent, and could/should win a WDC in the future (in the right car) - certainly he could hold his own at the sharp end of the grid. But as I've said about Max and Leclerc, winning a race here and there is MUCH different than being under the grind of competing for a championship, week in and week out. Heck, just ask our pal Nico Rosberg. The pressure of competing for his maiden WDC almost drove him to the funny farm. He looks so much more at peace with the world now though. As you're saying here, ease George into the seat.

And yeah, while Lewis may not get everything that he's asking for (which is how one negotiates), I feel certain that he'll get what he really wants, and Mercedes/Ineos will be able to save face too.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

6. Likes: truefan72 (18th January 2021)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    AMG-1 Hypercar was promised to Bottas year ago...
    so it´s 100% sure that Lewis had option for it also.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 184 Times in 148 Posts
    Speculation is:

1. Mercedes only want to give Hamilton a 1 yr, 35 Million contract

I can understand why they would want to only do short term contracts. Nothing is normal, and nobody knows when normal will be back.

2. Hamilton wants a say who will be racing along side of him after next season.

I kind of figured this was already the case and one of the reason why they keep Bottas. He is good enough to support Hamilton, but not is a real threat. Plus they seem to get along.

3. If Hamilton would leave after 2021 season - Mercedes thinks it could have a lineup of Verstappen/Russell for 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Speculation is:

1. Mercedes only want to give Hamilton a 1 yr, 35 Million contract

I can understand why they would want to only do short term contracts. Nothing is normal, and nobody knows when normal will be back.

2. Hamilton wants a say who will be racing along side of him after next season.

I kind of figured this was already the case and one of the reason why they keep Bottas. He is good enough to support Hamilton, but not is a real threat. Plus they seem to get along.

3. If Hamilton would leave after 2021 season - Mercedes thinks it could have a lineup of Verstappen/Russell for 2022.
    Interesting speculation. I doubt Hamilton would want a longer contract than one year anyway. He had alot of soul searching openly about when to stop racing and he spoke alot about coming to the end of his racing career. I suspect, Ineos and Mercedes probably want him to commit to a longer contract.

Verstapenn's contract at Redbull expires in 2023 but there are rumours that he has an exit clause that allows him to leave in 2022 if the team does not meet its promise to deliver a championship winning car. I can see Mercedes wanting to take on Verstapenn in 2022. A verstapenn- Russell pairing makes sense.

I very much doubt Hamilton cares much about who is in the other car. That is more a headache for Woolf and Mercedes management. A less acrimonious pairing than Rosberg has clearly been their desire. That said, l fully expect the Verstapenn-Russell pairing to be full of fireworks like the Vertapenn-Sainz pairing at Torro Rosso. And l look forward to it.

I have a feeling that Hamilton would hang his helmet at the end of the 2021 season and Woolf would quietly withdraw soon after. Bottas would be sent on his merry way with Woolf's departure. And a new management would sweep in with a new driver lineeup.

Personally, l think they would have a more agreeable pairing with Russell and Gasly. I think both of these guys would be awesome in the Mercedes.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th January 2021 at 10:27.
    William Shakespeare

10. Likes: truefan72 (18th January 2021)
    Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    I suspect they will work it out, but really for the most part that is probably going to be up to Lewis. In the end the people paying the salaries most likely already have a number to work with, and they will do their best to retain Lewis while staying below that number. As with anyone in his position, Lewis will do what he can to make them exceed that number if it's less than he thinks he is worth.

Not a knock on Lewis or any other driver, but I personally think that drivers and many other athletes are grossly overpaid, and have been for quite some time. Being in the forefront of any major sport brings them a lot of value in endorsements and "other than contract" pay, and most of them got to the top because they love competing. There is always the risk of injury, and in some sports that is almost a given if they are physical enough. But insurance can cover them beyond even the contract usually regardless. IIRC Schumacher was getting something like $100K a day to sit out an injury.

Once again, not unique to Lewis, but in the specific field of racing a good/great car is a huge part of the equation. The better the car is, the more options the team obviously has, and Mercedes has had the best car for years now. Granted Lewis is a top rate driver, and deserving of a high buck contract. But there are plenty of other drivers who could win races in that car, and a lot of them could probably be had for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I suspect they will work it out, but really for the most part that is probably going to be up to Lewis. In the end the people paying the salaries most likely already have a number to work with, and they will do their best to retain Lewis while staying below that number. As with anyone in his position, Lewis will do what he can to make them exceed that number if it's less than he thinks he is worth.

Not a knock on Lewis or any other driver, but I personally think that drivers and many other athletes are grossly overpaid, and have been for quite some time. Being in the forefront of any major sport brings them a lot of value in endorsements and "other than contract" pay, and most of them got to the top because they love competing. There is always the risk of injury, and in some sports that is almost a given if they are physical enough. But insurance can cover them beyond even the contract usually regardless. IIRC Schumacher was getting something like $100K a day to sit out an injury.

Once again, not unique to Lewis, but in the specific field of racing a good/great car is a huge part of the equation. The better the car is, the more options the team obviously has, and Mercedes has had the best car for years now. Granted Lewis is a top rate driver, and deserving of a high buck contract. But there are plenty of other drivers who could win races in that car, and a lot of them could probably be had for less money.
    I thought the same of earnings of sport personalities a while back until l took a closer look at the money involved in sport. And l found that it is quite staggeringly high. What we ordinary people see is the relatively small amount that is paid to sportsmen compared to the amount of revenue that sporting events generate through the year. Schumacher was paid 70 million at this point of his career by Ferrari l was told recently. Hence in comparison, what Hamilton is asking (assuming the figure in point is what it is), is not unreasonable. I was expecting between 60 to 80 million actually. 40 million is a very reasonable figure. If l was Hamilton, l would ask for nothing less than 60 million.

I accept the car is a big part of the equation. And l hear your point that there are many drivers on the grid that can win races with this car. There are a very few that can win world championship titles year in year out consistently like Lewis. I would think Mercedes and Ineos would consider a proven candidate as their foremost option. But that said, they took a chance with Hamilton in 2013, they could do the same with Verstapenn or Gasly or Russell. The main difference is that Hamilton had already proved he can do it with one title already under his belt when he joined Mercedes.

This time round, they would have to take a leap of faith with most of the elegible candidates. And without the wise head of Niki Lauda to steer them.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th January 2021 at 15:57.
    William Shakespeare

13. Likes: truefan72 (18th January 2021)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Forbes states that Schumachers salary peaked at an estimated $38 million in 1999, during his fourth season with Ferrari.

15. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)