Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,129 Times in 924 Posts
    I would say that in this case it could be more Adamo/Hyundai giving him the seat and less ,,buying'' it..

As he did the rally with i20 r5 some weeks ago and should have useful data and settings for WRC rally with same conditions..

2. Likes: cali (5th February 2021),Rallyper (5th February 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    I would say that in this case it could be more Adamo/Hyundai giving him the seat and less ,,buying'' it..

As he did the rally with i20 r5 some weeks ago and should have useful data and settings for WRC rally with same conditions..
    The only way he can help Hyundai is by taking off points from Toyotas. Maybe the price for Oliver is different than for any random person, but I doubt it's for free. Or maybe it was like with Veiby, having one WRC drive combined in the WRC2 season deal on a bargain price, and they decided it's best to try out in a snow rally.

4. Likes: pantealex (5th February 2021)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Solberg was given the info on this just after Monte.
    Adamo just saw an opportunity and acted directly!

6. Likes: cali (5th February 2021)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Or Solberg has just put in enough money

Don't get me wrong, I think he's ready for trying out on the top level, but it's not just the team giving him an opportunity.

Also interesting that he decided to learn these cars which will be obsolete next year
    Insane that's what I thought off when I read this news.

On so many levels, in random order:

- learning old (pre 2022) car why? (imo, lack of active center diff will be biggest change)
    - last season car at best, likely not even that (hopefully not the aero-hybrid Loubet had that has never been tested in that config on snow)

- throwing WRC2 title chance (Arctic was his best chance of scoring good points, together with Estonia)
    - "throwing" testing experience from running the Arctic rally in January

For what exactly? Showing himself in WRC? So what he would drive it at some point anyway.
    He has a contract for 2 years, so why now.

I can't help to think there is something more to this. First three things that come to mind:

- It's Adamo's decision, "to do something", cause he feels he needs to do something after very bad Monte for Hyundai
    (both PR-wise but also sports-wise with possibly putting a pressure on one of the Toyota guys). He did this kind of snap decisions before seemingly without thinking of consequences (ex. Loeb going to Portugal in 2019 with different diff he didn't test and with no knowledge of stages)

- It's Adamo's way to put extra PR-pressure on Hyundai, to make them commit to 2022 ("Look we have this coming new great driver and he has a deal with us for next year")

- Solbergs (-team) are not so enthusiastic about the current I20 R5 and want to wait for new one for real WRC2 fight

-------------
    Most likely it's a combination of the first 2, last one is just a total speculation.
    EDIT: Seems like Sulland's post confirms the first idea

-------------

Again I am astounded by the hype, now it seems to overdo even Rovanpera-hype levels, especially reading this from D. Evans: https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-...-rally1-debut/

So far Solberg has won Rally2 in Really Estonia last year and Rally Liepāja that's it. There is a long list of rallies where he has certainly shown signs of speed, but only over a stage or two.

Monte great example. He won two stage out of which only one with a decent time difference. Else he was usually 3-5.
    On that one stage that is boasted by Evans the late R5s had better conditions and out of these only 2-3 were pushing and Gryazin (who usually did same times) had a puncture.

No this doesn't mean I think he is bad and certainly doesn't mean that he won't have a great future. But he should really take some time to learn to show stable performances. Btw. running WRC for whole season would also work for that, but not jumping between R5 and "old" WRC

Btw. we have seen this before with Petter. He went to Subaru probably a bit too early and it resulted in at least a year with unnecessary crashes. Problem is this kind of "long term" learning worked in 2002 and also worked for Ogier in 2009-2010, but it needs a "stable" team/team leadership that sticks with the driver during the time it takes to develop. Adamo+Hyundai does not seem to be that kind of team. (see Huttunen).

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    I think the time is just about very right. Circumstances in all was in Olivers favour. Adamo also had to work fast:

- did what he should in RMC
    - was fast(est) (?) RC2 in Arctic.
    - young gun with possible option too choose any wheel in WRC'
    - already used to those monsters (RX)
    - coming Arctic rally best rally for him to start WRC drive...
    - Huyndai have to handle their assett.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

9. Likes: doubled1978 (5th February 2021),Sulland (5th February 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Insane

Monte great example. He won two stage out of which only one with a decent time difference. Else he was usually 3-5.
    On that one stage that is boasted by Evans the late R5s had better conditions and out of these only 2-3 were pushing and Gryazin (who usually did same times) had a puncture.
    Agree with Adamo thing. He´s an fast acting man.

But Monte talk? He was there for first time, man!

Read once again what you wrote and then think it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    I think the time is just about very right. Circumstances in all was in Olivers favour. Adamo also had to work fast:

1.- did what he should in RMC
    2.- was fast(est) (?) RC2 in Arctic.
    3.- young gun with possible option too choose any wheel in WRC'
    4.- already used to those monsters (RX)
    5.- coming Arctic rally best rally for him to start WRC drive...
    6.- Huyndai have to handle their assett.
    1. Monte was OK at best
    2. Yes, so is there a better way to use that experience than to get good results for WRC2 against more competition?
    3. 2 year deal at Hyundai, why would he need to show somehting to anyone right now? (mid-late season better idea)
    4. Not much relevance, circuits with slow-mid speed corners and little aero vs high speed corners with lots of aero

5. No argument, did you just write this to have more numbers?
    6. Same as above...

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post

But Monte talk? He was there for first time, man!

Read once again what you wrote and then think it over.
    He drove Monte last year with Polo.

13. Likes: pantealex (5th February 2021),WRC1 (5th February 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    He drove Monte last year with Polo.
    You are right about that. My bad.

But - still not same stages (only a couple) and he did it first time as hired by a factory team. He said, he was there to learn in a new car, and you think he should have won every stage, not happy with thos 3-5 places?

Give him a break and be happy for him is the least I´d would propose.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    I dont think we should read more into this than i said.

The Teamboss wants to check out his level on snow in a WRCar, to figure out his current standpoint, and in what areas they need to give more focus and training.

As said by Mknight: - Solbergs (-team) are not so enthusiastic about the current I20 R5 and want to wait for new one for real WRC2 fight.

This was true, they have now gotten to know the car more, and Oliver likes the R5 much more now than in the beginning. Many hours of tests have been done in Sweden.
    Lets see if they will be involved in the latter part of testing of the Rally2 car. I would have sent a car with tech support to Solberg HQ for comprehensive testing on loose, and invited them to Germany as soon as weather permits asphalt testing.

Adamo is smart, and know Petters abilities to build easy to drive fast cars. When you have the solbergs inhouse, use the 110% they give you!

16. Likes: Rallyper (5th February 2021)