Page 76 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
    Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
    How stuck have Bertelli's car been in snow bank really? Looks like it is almost on road. Could they had just shovelled it out or tried to put e.g. their jackets or something under tires to get more grip if needed.

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    On a long strait to me power is worth a lot driving on 6th gear. It says itself more hp will give you a higher speed faster..
    Power yes but I was not argueing about power because I believe there is minimal difference between the cars in the maximum power.

IMO in rally car when people talk about weak engine it means in reality that the engine is low on torque, I really don't believe there are big differences in peak power. Even the really terribly outdated 20V Fabia WRC engine was quite ok on peak power but it was very bad on torque. Lack of torque doesn't really matter on straights or flat out corners but it does matter a lot on events which are full of long medium-fast or even slow corners (depends what we consider slow and what level of grip is available). The lack of torque IMHO also adds to traction issues.

In general the message was - if M-Sport suffers here from the engine it will suffer much more in other more twisty events.
    Last edited by Mirek; 27th February 2021 at 12:07.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: AnttiL (27th February 2021),TWRC (27th February 2021)
    Liked 16,091 Times in 6,982 Posts
    Rallirinki / Teemu
    @HartusvuoriWRC

This is how Siikakämä stage looks like after the first run. The road is holding it much better now, cuts through at braking points though. #WRC #ArcticRallyFinland

5. Likes: AnttiL (27th February 2021),Mirek (27th February 2021),TWRC (27th February 2021)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Power yes but I was not argueing about power because I believe there is minimal difference between the cars in the maximum power.

IMO in rally car when people talk about weak engine it means in reality that the engine is low on torque, I really don't believe there are big differences in peak power. Even the really terribly outdated 20V Fabia WRC engine was quite ok on peak power but it was very bad on torque. Lack of torque doesn't really matter on straights or flat out corners but it does matter a lot on events which are full of long medium-fast or even slow corners (depends what we consider slow and what level of grip is available). The lack of torque IMHO also adds to traction issues.

In general the message was - if M-Sport suffers here from the engine it will suffer much more in other more twisty events.
    Have you ever reved an engine coming up on revs where power is at highest you realise power means something even on high revs? Torque is on low revs. So going on high revs on 6th gear coming in to the high power area will make some differnce.
    Have a felling this was a discussion a couple of years ago. Hard to explain when words are missing (language...)
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Asunmaa got notional time of 9:47,4 on SS4.
    Egon Kaur got 9:48,9
    From COC.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 407 Times in 272 Posts
    Stage 6 is live with a little moment for Loubet

Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    Loubet all over the place
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Have you ever reved an engine coming up on revs where power is at highest you realise power means something even on high revs? Torque is on low revs. So going on high revs on 6th gear coming in to the high power area will make some differnce.
    Per, power is a value. It is a value made of torque multiplied by engine speed which means power is always a thing of high rews (high relatively to the used restrictor).

If I say I don't believe that there are big differences in power between the cars I mean they have roughly same value of peak power, which means they can all reach about the same top speed if they had the same drag coefficient and were not limited by gearing. That's simple physics.

However what is important the most is the work the engine can deliver over a certain used RPM range (energy delivered). If you know how power curve looks, this work (or delivered energy) is the area of the graph between the RPM-axis (X-axis) and the power curve in the given RPM range (it's really that simple).

Why is torque important? Because power is torque x engine speed, i.e. when RPM is +/- given by the regulations what you can work on is the torque to achieve as flat power curve as possible (because the largest achievable area is square - when power curve is parallel to the RPM-axis). The most difficult part on that is IMHO to keep the engine efficiency over wide range of RPM, hence why the difference isn't usually in the peak power but in the curve shape.

In simple words. If you put the cars on a drag track and shift ideally you will probably have nearly same finish time for all. But now do the same but shift from 3rd directly to 6th gear and you will see the diffrence between the cars.

On fast events the engine use is closer to the ideal drag track while with more and longer turns (especialy with uneven radius) it gets closer to the second scenario because you need to use much wider RPM range than the ideal one.

I hope it's understandable now.
    Last edited by Mirek; 27th February 2021 at 13:17.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: AnttiL (27th February 2021),cali (27th February 2021),steve.mandzij (27th February 2021),TWRC (27th February 2021)
    Liked 9,347 Times in 4,964 Posts
    Shame for Loubet with no power.

Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Don't they use the push to pass feature on the Rally safe system in WRC? Heard they use it ARA.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net