Threaded View

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That's misconception. High speed stages are where engine counts the least. Engine playes the highest role in slow twisty events instead.

It's not like the main difference in the engines would be in peak power. The real difference is in power band (or torque curve if you like). It means that where you really get to see the difference is when you have plenty of slow/medium corners where the engine needs to accelerate over wide RPM ranges. In very fast stages it is much easier to keep the engine in the peak power RPM range (naturally it's the easiest on a straight and it's getting harder and harder with how twistier the stage gets).
    I know I shouldn't argue with you about this, but I thought on low speed sections the grip is so low that you can't put all the high power down, so engine doesn't matter so much. And on the contrary, when you are accelerating from 100 km/h upwards you rarely have problems with the grip and the you gain seconds by hitting your top speed earlier than other cars. I don't know, but Suninen was up to pace last year in Sardegna, while all the M-Sport drivers were horribly lost in Estonia...

We see this also when we compare the pace of R5 cars, on fast stages the WRC cars are much faster but on a technical stage the R5 can even get in the top 10 (or even win the stage like Huttunen in Sweden 2018)

I would also say Greensmith has improved his driving, hence him getting closer to Suninen. The stages are also somewhat simpler, not so many corners where you can make a difference.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 27th February 2021 at 10:38.

2. Likes: the sniper (27th February 2021)