Page 113 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1159
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Suninen confirmed on twitch that Ford has the longest gear ratio of the current WRC cars.
    weakest engine with longer gear ratio? strange!
    usually weak engines goes with shorter gear ratios

2. Likes: cali (2nd March 2021),Mirek (2nd March 2021),Rallyper (3rd March 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    weakest engine with longer gear ratio? strange!
    usually weak engines goes with shorter gear ratios
    Suninen confirmed on twitch that Ford has the longest gear ratio of the current WRC cars.

He also says the chassis needs to work on fast speeds
    Exactly. It makes no sense whatsoever to combine weak engine with the longest gears hence why I do believe the real issue was not the engine because I don't think they are stupid in M-Sport. It seems like they just didn't get everything together as good as other teams and that long gearing is probably one of the miscalcullations.

@ Eddie: Nice that you post bullshit comments about me on places where I'm not (twitter). Someone just told me...
    Last edited by Mirek; 2nd March 2021 at 20:01.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AnttiL (2nd March 2021),cali (3rd March 2021),dimviii (3rd March 2021),er88 (3rd March 2021),EstWRC (3rd March 2021),Jeppe (3rd March 2021),pantealex (3rd March 2021),steve.mandzij (2nd March 2021),WRC1 (2nd March 2021)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    It's not a weak engine, it's the same engine as before. It's just weaker than the other because they have improved.

And i wouldn't be suprised if m-sport uses old gearboxes, just like they use old engines. They have nothing to win this year, they are just participating.

6. Likes: Rallyper (3rd March 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Maybe they are lacking in torque on long corners because of the combination of the engine and the long gear ratio? As we know, the engine peak powers rarely increase, but they can increase torque where it's needed for the drivers.

8. Likes: WRC1 (3rd March 2021)
    Liked 9,311 Times in 4,938 Posts
    M-Sport's engine isnt the most powerful, hence the coming upgrade.

Isnt a long gear ratio good for when there are long maximum speed sections like the Arctic ?

Liked 9,311 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    @ Eddie: Nice that you post bullshit comments about me on places where I'm not (twitter). Someone just told me...
    Not BS, my opinion that your opinion was wrong.

If you have facts tell them, otherwise dont state opinion as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Isnt a long gear ratio good for when there are long maximum speed sections like the Arctic ?
    The event was won by the car with the shortest gear ratios of all.

Look at Rally2. There is most likely negligible difference between Polo and Fabia engines. Polo was faster. Why? I don't know but clearly not because of the engine. Which one had longer gearbox? Fabia. Is it a coincidence? Maybe. For sure such long gearing as M-Sport used, was a mistake.

12. Likes: WRC1 (3rd March 2021)
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The event was won by the car with the shortest gear ratios of all.

Look at Rally2. There is most likely negligible difference between Polo and Fabia engines. Polo was faster. Why? I don't know but clearly not because of the engine. Which one had longer gearbox? Fabia. Is it a coincidence? Maybe. For sure such long gearing as M-Sport used, was a mistake.
    Doesnīt anyone count drivers anymore?
    E-P and Printsport are a winning combination.
    Once it popīs, you canīt stop...

14. Likes: Mirek (3rd March 2021),pantealex (4th March 2021),Rallyper (3rd March 2021),steve.mandzij (3rd March 2021),WRC1 (3rd March 2021)
    Maybe they are lacking in torque on long corners because of the combination of the engine and the long gear ratio? As we know, the engine peak powers rarely increase, but they can increase torque where it's needed for the drivers.
    Sure lack of torque and too long gearing is wrong combination but it's so obviously wrong that one must ask why would someone select that?

I have only few ideas why that would be possible and still be somewhat logical. Either they tested on a wrong track which didn't have a character of Arctic stages and didn't get the right feedback or they changed something last minute which had trown a pitchfork into their previous effort and ruined all what they did before - could be for example last minute change in aero setup. Or they used wrong setup just to use parts they already had available to save money.

I don't know, IMHO it must have been a combination of more things. Everybody likes to speak about engine or gearing but aero, differentials, suspension, everything playes an important role. As I said before - I don't believe that people working in M-Sport are stupid, hence why I hesitate to accept that easiest but rather stupid explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe View Post
    Doesnīt anyone count drivers anymore?
    E-P and Printsport are a winning combination.
    That's for sure right. I just wanted to use that example that long gearing didn't always make the car faster on fast events and in this case both cars had basically same performing engine

Otherwise I mentioned before that I guess that Printsport know-how has played probably larger role than general difference betwen Polo and Fabia

16. Likes: cali (3rd March 2021),pantealex (4th March 2021)
    Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
    Suninen estimated that at the moment they have 5-10 hp less power than the competition. Once they have the new engine he believes that all the cars are within 1-2 hp of each other. He did not comment about the shape of the power curves.

From what I gathered he felt the high speed performance issues were more about suspension development and coming up with setup that would work both with and without the aero loads. At present he said that they are struggling when speeds start to rise above 120 km/h. He seemed quite frustrated by lack of testing and availability new parts to test when they do have tests. He said he had once even brought his own Reiger dampers to a test because he wanted to try something new, but in the end they did not choose those.

Do any of you know how many gear ratios are homologated for WRC cars? Or can they be chosen freely?

18. Likes: cali (3rd March 2021),Mirek (3rd March 2021)