Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMS View Post
    Absolutely..... Actually couldn't imagine anything better. Fire, bbq and wrc cars in full proper winter conditions
    The BBQ options are somewhat limited with campfire in -30 degrees. Luckily we have, or would have in this case, this thing called rallimakkara which is just as enjoyable cold or warm.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

2. Likes: DocMS (14th January 2021),pantealex (15th January 2021)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linni View Post
    Ok, understood.
    Sad, the last real winter rally with lots of snow was quite a few years ago.
    Sweden 2018
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Sweden 2018
    But even that was quite warm and slushy. It will be different in very cold conditions with hard road base, high snow banks and powder snow.

Details of the route were told in KSML newspaper today

- Friday: 30 km Sarriojärvi
    - Saturday: Jyrhämäjärvi, Kaihuavaara and Siikakämä, all twice
    - Sunday: Aittajärvi twice

That makes only nine stages so maybe a single run for Sunday or Friday in addition. And all the roads which feature in the national event, are run in the opposite direction so local drivers can still enter the WRC event.

5. Likes: DocMS (15th January 2021),EstWRC (15th January 2021),pantealex (15th January 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    But even that was quite warm and slushy. It will be different in very cold conditions with hard road base, high snow banks and powder snow.

Details of the route were told in KSML newspaper today

- Friday: 30 km Sarriojärvi
    - Saturday: Jyrhämäjärvi, Kaihuavaara and Siikakämä, all twice
    - Sunday: Aittajärvi twice

That makes only nine stages so maybe a single run for Sunday or Friday in addition. And all the roads which feature in the national event, are run in the opposite direction so local drivers can still enter the WRC event.
    I don't remember any slush? Much nicer to watch when it stays close to 0 and you can see the cars from behind also. Lower than -10-15c and you get this ice dust hanging in the air forever and LCD screen starts to lag for me. https://youtu.be/qIsoAPZRcZg

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    I don't remember any slush? Much nicer to watch when it stays close to 0 and you can see the cars from behind also. Lower than -10-15c and you get this ice dust hanging in the air forever and LCD screen starts to lag for me. https://youtu.be/qIsoAPZRcZg
    Hehe, you always think about stages and routes only through making videos

I admit I was wrong about the slush in 2018, I mixed it up with 2019. But, in 2018 it was still relatively warm and the heavy snowfall made it difficult for the first cars to pass through. Rememer how Ogier and Tänak cursed at the stage end interviews?

Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts
    Yes, forgot Sweden already. Lots of snow and around -20C. But was it 2018 or 2017?

You can watch a live stream from the national Arctic Rally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaJ-...hannel=RalliSM

Hänninen about to start the first stage

Liked 232 Times in 109 Posts
    first video from national Arctic Rally - unreal winter!!
    https://www.facebook.com/bvteammotor...3751589099351/

11. Likes: dimviii (15th January 2021),Rallyper (15th January 2021)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    There are proper snow-banks and no spectators. If you are getting stuck in snow, you are your own.

And I think there may be reason actually to rescue some crew from this situation due to really low temperatures. I think they don't wear and carry proper winter clothes in their cars.
    Finnish Championship winter events have mandatory winter clothes and shovel for every competitor.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

13. Likes: cali (15th January 2021),dimviii (15th January 2021),EstWRC (15th January 2021),Sulland (18th January 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Hehe, you always think about stages and routes only through making videos

I admit I was wrong about the slush in 2018, I mixed it up with 2019. But, in 2018 it was still relatively warm and the heavy snowfall made it difficult for the first cars to pass through. Rememer how Ogier and Tänak cursed at the stage end interviews?
    Maybe and I'm annoyed i will miss most of the last two years with these cars.
    -30 was one of the reasons Rally Norway lost so much money in 2009 because of less spectators than in 07, you don't bring the kids out when It's that cold normally.

I remember because they only had time to clear parts of Röjden in 18 but it wasn't + degrees then. The first year with the wide tyres in 2011 was horrible in some stages when it was snowing, so It's much cooler to watch when there has been less snow on the road.

Don't know how cold it was last year in Artic but It's not so nice when you can't see more than 50m.
    https://youtu.be/wSJSNCW8nFU
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net