Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2021 Races at Risk - Australia/China/

It is reported the lead time for organizers to start setting up for the Australian GP requires a decision to race or not within the next 2 weeks. Australia has made some tough rule changes for covid that would make it difficult for F1 to open up the season there.

As of right now Australia is not reporting any vaccinations yet. They had a set back in their own vaccine development and had to cancel it during mid-trial. They would be at risk for their 3rd wave due to moving from summer to fall.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 9th January 2021 at 22:57.

Australia is not willing to let F1 to run a biosphere and tell F1 that quarantine for 2 weeks prior to race week is a prerequisite. This would mean that formula 1 would need to deploy 3 weeks prior to race (2 weeks quarantine, 1 week racing). Formula 1 according to the story would find that unacceptable.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/gran...05-p56rss.html

From other rumblings, it seems that if F1 can't get some type of agreement with Australia they will look elsewhere for replacement venue.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 6th January 2021 at 17:31.

There is rumbles that China GP may also be at risk.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    As is Vietnam. Instead, F1 is looking at returning to Portimao and Imola (although personally I would prefer Mugello) in the spring. The Australian GP might be pushed back to November with the season opening in Bahrain.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    As is Vietnam. Instead, F1 is looking at returning to Portimao and Imola (although personally I would prefer Mugello) in the spring. The Australian GP might be pushed back to November with the season opening in Bahrain.
    Vietnam is less about covid than about political corruption in Vietnam. The politician who was pushing f1 I believe has been jailed for political corruption so F1 is dead for right now.

F1 has shown they can be responsible partner and if Australia not willing to work with them - I would tell Australia to take a hike. Australia never that good race.

Junior Member racing-driver-directory's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah it's not the greatest track, and I don't know why they start with Australia as the first race. It's pretty much the furthest point from the team factories on earth :-D

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    There is rumbles that China GP may also be at risk.
    Looks like it is now official. This is postponement is more about the anti-democracy action China is taking right now in Hong Kong. I don't think they want as little international attention as possible right now - especially until they get their feet under them with the Biden administration and see how that going to progress.

I would tell China thanks for letting us know. We will keep you in consideration in 2022 if we need places to go race.

“We have been in contact [with F1] via conference call almost every week,” Yibin Yang, the general manager of race promoter Juss Event, told local media including Motorsport.com on Saturday. “Despite the calendar being in place as usual, I think it’s hugely uncertain the F1 race would take place in the first half of the year, in April.

“We aim to swap it to the second half of the year, and we have formally submitted the request that we hope to move it to the second half of the year.”

The postponement of the race would open up a second free slot in April, along with the 25 April date originally intended for the now-abandoned Vietnam race. It is understood that both Imola and Portimao – host circuits on the revised 2020 schedule – are set to fill these gaps, having both been in contention to replace Vietnam and begin the European season.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/c...ement/4949725/

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Australian GP postponement now confirmed, season to start in Bahrain on March 28th.
    The first European race will now be held at Imola on April 18.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Need to wait for the epidemic to end and wait for the next F1 race. I've always liked the races in Spain
    Last edited by Davisjonh; 3rd October 2021 at 03:47.