Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Sergio Perez signs for Redbull

After much delibration, Redbull finally decided to demote Albon to Reserve driver and replaced him with Sergio Perez. After the few wobbles that we have seen in Verstapenn, it seems Redbull has gone for experience and consistency which is abundant in Sergio Perez. This has got to be one of the strongest lineup on the grid for 2021. Certainly enough for Mercedes and Ferrari to take note of.

Perez who inspite of missing out on two races due to COVID and a DNF on course to a well deserved 2nd place podium, still managed to finish 4th in the driver's championship in a midfield car that seemed to have an up and down performance.

Racing Point kicked him out for Vettel but he has landed squarely on his feet at Redbull whom are still trying to sort out their engine for the 2022 season. It is interesting to note that Perez landed in a seat that Vettel was ruled out of. What does that say for Vettel?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 18th December 2020 at 20:02.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022),N. Jones (21st December 2020)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I wasn't really expecting this news but I'm delighted for Sergio, he definately deserves it after such a strong showing in the second half of the season.
    Its going to be very interesting to see how he fares in the 2nd RB seat. Will he adapt to a tricky car or will he struggle like those who have had it before him?

4. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Finally! A driver who loses a seat gets an even better seat... purely on merit! After the disappointment of seeing that trash, Nikita Mazepin, slithering onto the 2021 grid, this is wonderful news. I'm not the biggest Perez fan, but I'm happy that he got this drive. Too bad for Albon. I was really pulling for him to improve and keep the Red Bull ride. But he just wasn't up to it. All is not lost for his career - he wasn't ready for the main Red Bull squad.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

6. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022),Mia 01 (20th December 2020),pantealex (19th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Finally! A driver who loses a seat gets an even better seat... purely on merit! After the disappointment of seeing that trash, Nikita Mazepin, slithering onto the 2021 grid, this is wonderful news. I'm not the biggest Perez fan, but I'm happy that he got this drive. Too bad for Albon. I was really pulling for him to improve and keep the Red Bull ride. But he just wasn't up to it. All is not lost for his career - he wasn't ready for the main Red Bull squad.
    He had a baptism of fire really. Shame he could not take it up another notch. Perez really earned that drive.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022)
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    I'm disappointed for Albon. I think he is getting a raw deal and believe he deserves to be on the grid than some that will be in 2021. I think he is much better driver than Gasly and they should have let him drive for Alpha Tauri, instead of rushing the Japanese driver.

I'm happy for Cheko. Racing point were idiots for cutting him. I think with him and Seb they would have made it interesting in 2021. He will finally get a chance to be fighting for podiums every race with Red Bull - so that will be exciting for Cheko fans.

I think 2021 will be like 2020 and Mercedes and Hamilton will dominate regardless. That means it will be Max and Cheko fighting over 3rd. So yeah, they probably will be a stronger 2nd place team if they don't have chemistry problem and take each other out at the start of the races.

Personally, I think Red Bull had two choices.

1. Think long term. Continue to work for 2022 when they will have a chance to put up a car that might compete for the championship. That would mean keeping Albon and continue to working on him to improve on his weaknesses. He could match Max for race pace, his problem was qualifying.

2. Think short term - roll the dice and go with Cheko and put the best driver lineup they can put for 2021 even though it will hurt them long term. Even maybe they had decided that with the engine issues - 2021 is there last year.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 19th December 2020 at 22:55.

10. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022)
    Liked 311 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    working on him to improve on his weaknesses.
    Do Red Bull do that?
    I thought they just dropped juniors in at the deep end on a sink or swim basis.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    Do Red Bull do that?
    I thought they just dropped juniors in at the deep end on a sink or swim basis.

Yeah, the 2nd RB seat is a weird one. I've never been able to quite work out whether their No2 drivers relative performance compared to Max is due to a severe lack of garage/engineer support or a car handling/driver style mismatch... or a bit of both.

13. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    I'm disappointed for Albon. I think he is getting a raw deal and believe he deserves to be on the grid than some that will be in 2021. I think he is much better driver than Gasly and they should have let him drive for Alpha Tauri, instead of rushing the Japanese driver.

I'm happy for Cheko. Racing point were idiots for cutting him. I think with him and Seb they would have made it interesting in 2021. He will finally get a chance to be fighting for podiums every race with Red Bull - so that will be exciting for Cheko fans.

I think 2021 will be like 2020 and Mercedes and Hamilton will dominate regardless. That means it will be Max and Cheko fighting over 3rd. So yeah, they probably will be a stronger 2nd place team if they don't have chemistry problem and take each other out at the start of the races.

Personally, I think Red Bull had two choices.

1. Think long term. Continue to work for 2022 when they will have a chance to put up a car that might compete for the championship. That would mean keeping Albon and continue to working on him to improve on his weaknesses. He could match Max for race pace, his problem was qualifying.

2. Think short term - roll the dice and go with Cheko and put the best driver lineup they can put for 2021 even though it will hurt them long term. Even maybe they had decided that with the engine issues - 2021 is there last year.
    I think if Bottas have another bad year like this 2020 season, Redbull would be better placed to punish Mercedes severely with their new line up. With the consistency of Perez, the points would most likely be much closer. As Mercedes may be punished more effectively whenever they have an off day on sundays.

Perez in the Redbull is very exciting. He is ready to chase a championship down as this is really his last real chance to do so. It would be interesting to see the relative speed between Verstapen and Perez. I am expecting sparks to fly between these two. It would certainly be a very interesting season in 2021.

Albon had his chance, l doubt he would ever get another. But you never know, Kyvat had a second chance.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 20th December 2020 at 15:23.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think if Bottas have another bad year like this 2020 season, Redbull would be better placed to punish Mercedes severely with their new line up. With the consistency of Perez, the points would most likely be much closer. As Mercedes may be punished more effectively whenever they have an off day on sundays.
    Red Bull didn't have the car or reliability this year to challenge Mercedes. Why would it be any different next year?

Perez in the Redbull is very exciting. He is ready to chase a championship down as this is really his last real chance to do so. It would be interesting to see the relative speed between Verstapen and Perez. I am expecting sparks to fly between these two. It would certainly be a very interesting season in 2021.
    If for some miracle that Red Bull is now comparable to Mercedes, I agree totally. It could be very interesting season.

If they don't, it will still be interesting for Red Bull as we see the Max vs. Cheko drama play out. Cheko has a mean streak in him. He is not going play support driver to max (which is what RB was having Albon do).

Albon had his chance, l doubt he would ever get another. But you never know, Kyvat had a second chance.
    Personally, I think Albon did fine this season for it being his second year and being thrown among the sharks. I believe he will be on the grid again. If I was going to throw a red bull driver off the grid it would be Gasly.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    I was glad to see this announced. Sergio has managed some good drives in mid pack cars, and I think he has a lot of potential in a top car. It should also be an interesting pairing, as often the great drives Perez put in were the result of the long game and tire management. Max seems to just push and hope it works out. I can see a lot of differences in pit strategy, which will give Merc fits covering both of them when the RBs suit a track enough to challenge.

17. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022),Mia 01 (21st December 2020)