Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Brc 2021

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    I noticed the ever optimistic BRC media says "Wilson will kick start his BRC campaign at this weekend’s Nicky Grist Stages", yet there's no mention of him doing any more rounds. I wonder whether he's actually planning to do anymore?
    Going back to this to be fair, he's entered the Grampian, so it looks promising, particularly as I seem to remember he was fond of the Trackrod and has done Rally GB a couple of times in recent years, so may be up for the Cambrian: https://www.rallies.info/webentry/20...ies.php?type=u

Looks like it'll be another strong entry! If the Nicky Grist was anything to go by, another can't miss event... Can't see any mention of accommodating spectators though, one way or the other, literally! https://www.grampianforestrally.com/spectators
    Last edited by the sniper; 13th July 2021 at 01:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    Grampian FB suggests they are following Scottish Government guidelines for now. As the previous SRC round has announced itself to be non spectator can see this one being the same.
    I think they'll find it harder to keep people away than Quinton MC did on the Nicky Grist, not being able to threaten people with being hunted by drone and prosecuted under criminal law by the MoD for trespassing on their land, when 40% of the rally was actually on NRW land, with access only restricted for the purposes of the rally. Scotland has a far more liberal (legal and general) attitude towards land access.

Edit: I thought the SRC Argyll Rally was non spectator too, but checking their site, this was posted the day before the event:
    Argyll Rally Spectator Update 24/06/2021

The organisers of the Dunoon Presents Argyll Rally have been working tirelessly with the local authorities over the past few days, including this afternoon to work towards allowing spectators to attend the event.

We apologise for the delay in this announcement but wanted to do our best for this exciting new event.

Whilst we are not banning spectators from attending, we would like to remind all fans and followers of the current COVID-19 situation and to think carefully before travelling.

Please ensure you abide by ALL COVID-19 guidelines including PPE, sanitising and importantly social distancing.

The behaviour of all involved in this rally will have a direct effect on future events so please ensure you act responsibly for the good of our sport.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    http://argyllrally.co.uk/argyll-rall...access-update/

The rest of the advice given on that page is scarily sensible too, compared to what we've seen elsewhere...
    Last edited by the sniper; 13th July 2021 at 19:31.

The 'spectator zones'/pig pens have become a complete liability in Covid times... It'll be interesting to see how they handle it on the day. It's a case again where you can see what the public message has to be for various reasons, but there's a common sense approach that can and probably will be used on the day. It's a difficult one to handle.
    Last edited by the sniper; 13th July 2021 at 19:48.

Liked 84 Times in 30 Posts
    Just hypothesising, but perhaps the Argyll organisers realised they had to make the Dunoon town centre stage accessible to spectators if it were to run at all, and also realised that they wouldn't be swamped because the rest of the rally is in a fairly remote area. They have a supportive relationship with the local tourist board/council too. The Scottish and Grampian are much closer to large population centres and maybe more at risk of negative reaction from local councils and nervous residents if they attracted a load of speccies?

Whatever the case, I hope things are clearer before Mull because there is no way they can try and run that with a No Spectator policy.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I'm sure a limited number of spectators were allowed at Knockhill, and of course more at Hampden for Euro 2020. There is no reason why spectators shouldn't be allowed at Scottish events, unless organisers don't want them.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

I believe Knockhill were allowed 1000 spectators for the BSB, which is only 25% of what circuits in England have been allowed to have. The argument is that ticketed events can prove how they manage fans in a Covid compliant way, where an event in open countryside can't. Would be interested to know if any road cycling events have been taking place and what restrictions they've had to put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Whinlatter View Post
    Would be interested to know if any road cycling events have been taking place and what restrictions they've had to put in place.
    So long as everyone in the area closes their eyes as the Peloton passes it's safe.

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whinlatter View Post
    because the rest of the rally is in a fairly remote area
    The entire rally was within 20 miles of Dunoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    The entire rally was within 20 miles of Dunoon.
    Yes, I know that but there are no towns or even large villages on the rest of the route. The point I was trying (badly) to make is that the whole route is relatively remote and thus spectator numbers would be modest, but the town centre stage will be different insomuch as Dunoon residents will hopefully have been curious or interested enough to want to come out and watch.