Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So Lewis is not 100% for Abu Dhabi....my irritation deepens...

At Sahkir, George Russel proved that it's mostly the car, taking nothing away from Lewis or Mercedes. The team is a juggernaut and will be a beast for the foreseeable future. But gentlemen they are not! Mercedes ruined Russel's race at Sakhir and should have been gracious enough to give him another chance at Abu Dhabi. Under other circumstances Lewis could have been admired for jumping back in the car, gutting his way throught like a warrior. But in this case I see nothing but selfishness, greed and a lack of humility. Mercedes owes George a public apology!!! Lewis should have stayed home and polished his 2020 trophy! I'm sure that Mercedes would be happy to paint it black for him.

2. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Lewis is contracted to drive for Merc, once he passed his covid test Merc had no say in the matter.... and why would Lewis step aside to potentially have his stock value reduced if Russell excelled again?
    Call that selfish if you like but this isnt normal every day life. No one in their right mind would do that

4. Likes: N. Jones (14th December 2020)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Sorry buddy, there was no selfishness going on here. it is purely contractual obligations that had to be fullfilled once Hamilton had negative results to the requisite COVID tests. Besides the dynamics in the teams may have been affected by a second Russell drive with Bottas's 2nd place in the driver's championship on the balance.

Though, l initially thought another Mercedes drive for Russell would be great for Abu Dhabi. It also raise the question of whether the teams was still supporting Bottas for 2nd in the driver's championship. A second Russel drive would have suggested that the teams was through with Bottas. Which l think would have been very unhealthy to team harmony at this race.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: Mia 01 (22nd December 2020),N. Jones (14th December 2020),pantealex (14th December 2020),truefan72 (15th December 2020)
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Thanks Zico and Nitro...I appreciate your replies. I'm well aware of the complexity of F1 contracts but I think that plays no role here. I continue to think that motives, not contracts, are at the root of this. But I am curious as to why Lewis' stock would drop if he had given up his seat for just one more race. With 7 world championships and 95 race wins, just why would he be that insecure?

Lewis arrived in Abu Dhabi unfit to drive the car. Even though he tested negative he certainly exhibited symptoms. Before the race he said he was "not 100%". I would be happy to defend his actions had he been fighting for points to win the championship. However, his title was secured weeks ago and Mercedes had nailed down the constructors title, so it seems reasonable to think that something less-than-admirable might be at work. I cannot actually be certain, nor can anyone else, of exactly what the motives may have been, but for now both Lewis and Mecedes have lost some of my respect!

Today it was announced that the pit straight at Silverstone would be named after Lewis, and I'm sure that one day he will knighted by the queen. I send Lewis my best wishes. He's a great champion. But he is flawed, just like the rest of us.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee Rex; 14th December 2020 at 03:13.

8. Likes: Bagwan (15th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rex View Post
    Thanks Zico and Nitro...I appreciate your replies. I'm well aware of the complexity of F1 contracts but I think that plays no role here. I continue to think that motives, not contracts, are at the root of this. But I am curious as to why Lewis' stock would drop if he had given up his seat for just one more race. With 7 world championships and 95 race wins, just why would he be that insecure?

Lewis arrived in Abu Dhabi unfit to drive the car. Even though he tested negative he certainly exhibited symptoms. Before the race he said he was "not 100%". I would be happy to defend his actions had he been fighting for points to win the championship. However, his title was secured weeks ago and Mercedes had nailed down the constructors title, so it seems reasonable to think that something less-than-admirable might be at work. I cannot actually be certain, nor can anyone else, of exactly what the motives may have been, but for now both Lewis and Mecedes have lost some of my respect!

Today it was announced that the pit straight at Silverstone would be named after Lewis, and I'm sure that one day he will knighted by the queen. I send Lewis my best wishes. He's a great champion. But he is flawed, just like the rest of us.

Lee
    I see your point of view. I was also hoping that Russell would get another opportunity. But l find your reasoning to be unfounded. If the team asked Hamilton to give up his seat for Russell at Abu Dhabi and he refused. I would probably take your view. If they didn't, then the contractual consequences of missing two consecutive race weekends may play a part in why things transpired as it did. Especially, after Hamilton clearly stated in pre-race interviews that he was not 100% fit to race. He probably may have been happier curling up in bed rather than doing that race. As it turned out, Abu Dhabi would not have been a good race for Russell in the Mercedes which was low on pace anyway.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th December 2020 at 07:56.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Lee

There is the possibility that one of the reasons Merc may have chosen to put Russell in the car expecting him to do well (which he obviously did) it would put them more in a position of strength for negotiating his (still unsigned) contract for the 21 season. Maybe.. maybe not.. but as a CEO/businessman that is something I'd be looking to do, no matter how deep the companys pockets were.
    If Lewis were to accept a wage reduction from Merc would that not lower his stock value?
    Also.. a lot of F1 fans have been saying that the car should be attributed to the vast majority of Lewis's success.. You only have to look at the BBC HYS forums, which is full of he detractors, all saying that Russell performing so well is proof that quite a few current F1 drivers (better/faster than Valteri) would be enjoying the same WDC success if they had the seat instead of Lewis. He wont like that.. and if I'm 100% honest, knowing that is at least partially true, I wouldnt like that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    There is the possibility that one of the reasons Merc may have chosen to put Russell in the car expecting him to do well (which he obviously did) it would put them more in a position of strength for negotiating his (still unsigned) contract for the 21 season. Maybe.. maybe not.. but as a CEO/businessman that is something I'd be looking to do, no matter how deep the companys pockets were.
    If Lewis were to accept a wage reduction from Merc would that not lower his stock value?
    Also.. a lot of F1 fans have been saying that the car should be attributed to the vast majority of Lewis's success.. You only have to look at the BBC HYS forums, which is full of he detractors, all saying that Russell performing so well is proof that quite a few current F1 drivers (better/faster than Valteri) would be enjoying the same WDC success if they had the seat instead of Lewis. He wont like that.. and if I'm 100% honest, knowing that is at least partially true, I wouldnt like that either.
    Mind you lots of people said exactly the same thing of Schumacher while he was winning. Not everyone can appreciate.

On the contract negotiation side, l don't see much leverage there. There would probably be a Leclerc type case if Russell had performed as he did against Hamilton. But l see there might be some elements to use to unbalance Hamilton into a manageable pay package. There is the drivers pay cap to consider as well. As that would drastically cut Hamliton's wages. One reason why l don't expect Hamilton to be on the grid for 2022 onwards. I think Mercedes senses that and they are preparing Russell to jump into one of the seats in 2022 when his Williams contract expires. With Ocon doing so well at Renault, there is a good chance that, he may partner Russell in 2022 or 2023.

I also don't expect Toto Woolf in the paddock from 2022 onwards. Chances are that it would be new faces at Mercedes for the new era of GP1 racing.

New driver line up, new management and reduced workforce in line with the budget cut. It would certainly not be the same constitution of talents that saw Mercedes win the last seven constructors and drivers titles. As the budget cut would mean most of them may be repurposed elsewhere in another formular. It may be a different team based on elements of the existing team.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th December 2020 at 19:51.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    My reasoning is based only on what I have seen and heard. I'm pretty sure that I have not claimed any first hand knowledge. All I know is that there are bits and pieces in front of me and I want to assemble them into a larger picture just like a jigsaw puzzle.

Here are a few things dancing around in my mostly empty skull:
    Did Lewis underperform or did the car let him down? We can't know if Russel would have won the race had Mercedes not screwed it up for him.
    Earlier in the season Perez was forced out of 2 races so why the rush to get Lewis back in the car for the very last race even though they had already won everything possible.
    I doubt that Lewis' contract would have any penalties regarding illness. But F1 must certainly have restrictions regarding drivers, or anyone, that bring their symptoms to the track. Why was Lewis exempt?

If this were a movie (and in my head it IS a movie) then I think it might go like this:

A demanding driver has reached the end of his contract and is negotiating to renew it for next year and beyond. Suddenly he is stricken by the latest virus and is forced to sit out a race or two. But the team must move on to the next race and are forced to replace the driver until he is well enough to return and is free of symptoms. Watching from his sickbed, the driver is horrified to see that the replacement is not only winning but putting distance on the rest of the field.
    This is terrible! His insecurity is getting the best of him. He wonders, "What if that guy is better than me?". "And what about my contract? Am I in a worse position now? I wish this replacement guy was having a terrible day so people could see for themselves just how valuable I am? I've got to get back in the car next week".

He makes a phone call. "Hello, Toto! I'm coming back next weekend!". "We think you need to stay home and rest", they say. "After all we have nothing to gain", . "Why is this so hard?", says the driver to himself. "Why it was just last year I was able to force the team to let me air my political views".

The driver shows up with symptoms and does poorly. Now what?

There are 3 stories here:
    Why was Lewis allowed on the grid in the first place. Having a negative test does not mean that you can't pass along your symptoms. How did he get away with that?

I think Lewis demanded to come back and Mercedes caved in. My respect for Mercedes has taken a big hit for their lack of courage in this case and willingness to give Lewis a platform for his political views. No other driver would be permitted to exhibit that sort of behavior.

Both Lewis and Mercedes should be ashamed of their treatment of George Russel. He drove a magnificent race and should have been rewarded after the team ruined it for him. Instead, they threw him under the bus. Just pathetic!

I should also mention that Williams now has an opportunity to do a great thing for George by releasing him from his contract in such a way as to save his seat but be given the chance to shop his skills to a better team. It would be a great gesture.

13. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022)
    Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    First of all, Welcome to the forum Lee. I'm really enjoying reading your well-thought-out posts and insight. While I can believe that some of the things you are suggesting could be happening, I think the main thing was that Lewis was bored sitting at home (or where ever he was) and wanted to get back into the car. Of course he wouldn't be happy with someone else doing well in his car, so that only makes his feelings more urgent. Although George did great, Mercedes still has to keep their #1 star happy. George is shining right now, but it's still too early to know if he will ever be at Lewis's level consistently. Lewis has shown he can handle the pressure and deliver day in and day out, with George those kinds of things are still unknown.
    The one point I'd have to disagree with you on is when you say Mercedes threw George under the bus. They gave him a great opportunity (at the expense of their own reserve driver) but I doubt it came with guarantees of the next weeks drive if he exceeded expectations. I think that opportunity was a good will offering towards the future. Right now, having Lewis behind is pretty much money in the bank. Why would Mercedes take the chance of cracking him mentally, or bruising his ego by telling him to sit out if he's cleared to go and wants to race?

15. Likes: Fortitude (7th January 2022)
    My reasoning is based only on what I have seen and heard. I'm pretty sure that I have not claimed any first hand knowledge. All I know is that there are bits and pieces in front of me and I want to assemble them into a larger picture just like a jigsaw puzzle.

Here are a few things dancing around in my mostly empty skull:
    Did Lewis underperform or did the car let him down? We can't know if Russel would have won the race had Mercedes not screwed it up for him.
    Earlier in the season Perez was forced out of 2 races so why the rush to get Lewis back in the car for the very last race even though they had already won everything possible.
    I doubt that Lewis' contract would have any penalties regarding illness. But F1 must certainly have restrictions regarding drivers, or anyone, that bring their symptoms to the track. Why was Lewis exempt?

If this were a movie (and in my head it IS a movie) then I think it might go like this:

A demanding driver has reached the end of his contract and is negotiating to renew it for next year and beyond. Suddenly he is stricken by the latest virus and is forced to sit out a race or two. But the team must move on to the next race and are forced to replace the driver until he is well enough to return and is free of symptoms. Watching from his sickbed, the driver is horrified to see that the replacement is not only winning but putting distance on the rest of the field.
    This is terrible! His insecurity is getting the best of him. He wonders, "What if that guy is better than me?". "And what about my contract? Am I in a worse position now? I wish this replacement guy was having a terrible day so people could see for themselves just how valuable I am? I've got to get back in the car next week".

He makes a phone call. "Hello, Toto! I'm coming back next weekend!". "We think you need to stay home and rest", they say. "After all we have nothing to gain", . "Why is this so hard?", says the driver to himself. "Why it was just last year I was able to force the team to let me air my political views".

The driver shows up with symptoms and does poorly. Now what?

There are 3 stories here:
    Why was Lewis allowed on the grid in the first place. Having a negative test does not mean that you can't pass along your symptoms. How did he get away with that?

I think Lewis demanded to come back and Mercedes caved in. My respect for Mercedes has taken a big hit for their lack of courage in this case and willingness to give Lewis a platform for his political views. No other driver would be permitted to exhibit that sort of behavior.

Both Lewis and Mercedes should be ashamed of their treatment of George Russel. He drove a magnificent race and should have been rewarded after the team ruined it for him. Instead, they threw him under the bus. Just pathetic!

I should also mention that Williams now has an opportunity to do a great thing for George by releasing him from his contract in such a way as to save his seat but be given the chance to shop his skills to a better team. It would be a great gesture.
    Sorry buddy. Your post read like Hamilton bashing to me. You carry on as if an entitlement has not been met. A negative test means whoever it is, is clear to go racing. No special privileges was given to Hamilton. Once he has the all clear, his contract demands that he provide his services in the car. Though the team have the option to ask him to step aside for someone else to drive the car if they have reservations of his fitness to race.

Using phrases like a demanding driver is also very disrespectfull to Hamilton. I am not sure if that is your intention but it comes across negatively. It is what it is. Russell; is more a bother for Bottas than to Hamilton. To make out that Hamilton is bothered that REussell might be better than him is ridiculous to say the least.

That said, l must admit that l would like to see Russell in the next car so that we can see how he measures to the benchmark of all driver, which is Hamilton.

It is interesting how you inherently suggest that Bottas is crap. That the two Mercedes were not able to take on the Redbull seem good reason for you to question the capability of both the drivers in the Mercedes. Somehow, in yuour mind you already see that Russell might be able to win the Abu Dhabi race in that circumstances. This is how unhealthy expectations are mounted on young up and coming shoulders that burn them out too early. Russell is great and would do great things given the chance, equipment and some luck. But don't disrespect those that has proved themselves above any criteria in the process of your appreciation of the up and coming.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th December 2020 at 15:59.
    William Shakespeare