Thread: 2021 aprc

Liked 379 Times in 176 Posts

2021 aprc

Understandably, everything is pretty quiet at the moment. Has anyone seen a draft calendar, yet? Only round I know that is confirmed is New Zealand, though I heard rumours about an Indonesian round re-joining APRC.
    As far as entries go, I just read where former PWRC Champion and multiple APRC winner, Karamjit Singh is trying to put a deal together to run a Proton Iriz R5 (Rally2) car. Hayden Paddon was set to run his Hyundai AP4 car in most rounds this year, so hopefully will continue with that delayed programme. Cusco will likely have a Yaris AP4 for Mike Young (or a GR Yaris R5, if homologated in time) to run. These three entries, if confirmed, would make a strong drawcard for some other entries from amongst the dozen or more R5 and AP4 owners in the region.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

2. Likes: the sniper (11th December 2020)
    Senior Member Arnold Triyudho Wardono's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Regarding GR Yaris, Bates Motorsport is currently developing the AP4 version..

Sent from my Redmi 6 using Tapatalk

4. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (11th December 2020)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts

Liked 310 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Hokkaido View Post
    I just read where former PWRC Champion and multiple APRC winner, Karamjit Singh is trying to put a deal together to run a Proton Iriz R5 (Rally2) car.
    Is that a Mellors Elliot car from the UK, or is there another source of Iriz R5's in the region?

Liked 1,520 Times in 653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Hokkaido View Post
    Karamjit Singh is trying to put a deal together to run a Proton Iriz R5 (Rally2) car.
    I think this may be a bit optimistic? It seems these reports have come about because Karamjit fell on hard times, had to sell his cars and apartment, was going to become an e-hailing driver, but seemingly this got reported by the press and the Malaysian Sports Minister got involved. Looks like they're helping him, but not financially. Well, not in terms of funding a program.

https://www.nst.com.my/sports/motor-...rn-flying-sikh

"I spoke to the Sports Minister (Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican) today, and he has verbally agreed to help me secure RM3 million to race in the APR next year.

"The ministry will provide me with supporting letters to approach potential sponsors," said Karamjit in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

However, there will be no direct allocation from the ministry for rallying purposes.

National Athletes Welfare Foundation (Yakeb) chairman Datuk Noorul Ariffin Majeed accompanied Karamjit when he met Reezal in Parliament yesterday.

"Karamjit and I met the Sports Minister today. He has also been promised work at the Sepang International Circuit as a safety car driver and will also conduct their CSR programmes on road safety," said Noorul.

The former rally ace almost became an e-hailing driver, before he was 'rescued' by Yakeb and the Sports Ministry.

He said: "I sold my apartment, three cars and used my EPF money to the tune of RM1 million since 2012 to support my driving.

"I hope to drive for the country again, so I can make Malaysia proud."

In 2005, Karamjit was promised a monthly pension of RM5,000 by the Sports Ministry for winning the world title but it did not materialise.

If he gets the cash from sponsors, he will race for the Proton team. If I can raise RM3 million, I will race with a Proton Iris R5, which is actually ready in England right now.

"The sum will be used for spare parts and the APR," Karamjit added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    Is that a Mellors Elliot car from the UK, or is there another source of Iriz R5's in the region?
    That's what he's hoping.

Liked 310 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    That's what he's hoping.
    Thanks for that. It would be good to see the Mellors Elliot car outside of the British Isles. A bit of success in the AP region might stimulate more interest from Proton in the sport.

9. Likes: the sniper (13th December 2020)
    Liked 379 Times in 176 Posts
    Here is a link to this year's APRC Calendar: https://fiaaprc.com/2021-aprc-calendar/
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

12. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (22nd September 2021)