Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    I agree that he looked poor against Russell I just don't know if Merc would be so bold as to replace Bottas.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

2. Likes: truefan72 (6th December 2020)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Mclaren also did not do a good job. They squandered a chance to win this race as somehow they took Sainz out of a strong podium position. They have allowed Racing point to regain the initiative for 3rd in the constructors championship.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 6th December 2020 at 18:35.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Gutted for Russel, but he showed his hand and will hopefully reap the rewards of that display.

As for Merc, easy to kick them for the race, but it's a very rare thing with them, and at least it happened after the season is pretty much wrapped up. Since Max was out it really didn't hurt Bottas, and we all know some heads will roll over the mess.

As for the race winner, so glad to finally see Checo on the top step of the podium. He's put on some great drives over the years, often based on tire management. And after being denied the last race, fortune shined on him this time. I would have been glad to see him get the podium he was robbed of, but this ended up even better for him. Well done Sergio, you will be missed by many and I hope you find a seat and return.

5. Likes: Mia 01 (7th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I agree that he looked poor against Russell I just don't know if Merc would be so bold as to replace Bottas.
    I think it would be pressure from senior management that might cause the change. Mercedes want the best drivers in their car. Bottas is a paid driver, so he has to justify his being in the car with respectable performances. He has had a run of bad luck that has made him look bad of late. It certainly did not help that the Mercedes junior has turned up and nearly kicked his arse.

He is 2nd in the drivers championship, but only just. And with a huge margin from Hamilton. Not a strong 2nd in the Rosberg sense. So he is very vulnerable at the moment.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 7th December 2020 at 04:14.
    William Shakespeare

7. Likes: N. Jones (7th December 2020)
    Liked 1,129 Times in 604 Posts
    Mercedes doesn't want the best drivers, because 2 alpha males together will give tension and in the end might compromise the standings.

They want one of the best drivers, and someone who is not fast enough to not really compete with that first driver, but fast enough to keep the rest of the field behind.

But bottas often can't keep verstappen off, even with a car that is massively faster. Since they have a huge car advantage, for now that hasn't been a real problem. But if some other team would make a big step forwards, the lack of speed from bottas could become a serious problem.

9. Likes: Firstgear (7th December 2020)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Gutted for Russel, but he showed his hand and will hopefully reap the rewards of that display.

As for Merc, easy to kick them for the race, but it's a very rare thing with them, and at least it happened after the season is pretty much wrapped up. Since Max was out it really didn't hurt Bottas, and we all know some heads will roll over the mess.

As for the race winner, so glad to finally see Checo on the top step of the podium. He's put on some great drives over the years, often based on tire management. And after being denied the last race, fortune shined on him this time. I would have been glad to see him get the podium he was robbed of, but this ended up even better for him. Well done Sergio, you will be missed by many and I hope you find a seat and return.
    I very much doubt that heads will roll over this. It was an unforeseen radio failure that caused it, no one was truly to blame. Plus, it's not the way Mercedes operate and as soon as you begin firing people for these sort of errors, everyone will start finger pointing and the blame culture is introduced. You'll eventually end up like Williams over the last 17 years. Mercedes philosophy is to grow as a team and learn from their mistakes. This is by and large why they have been so incredibly successful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I very much doubt that heads will roll over this. It was an unforeseen radio failure that caused it, no one was truly to blame. Plus, it's not the way Mercedes operate and as soon as you begin firing people for these sort of errors, everyone will start finger pointing and the blame culture is introduced. You'll eventually end up like Williams over the last 17 years. Mercedes philosophy is to grow as a team and learn from their mistakes. This is by and large why they have been so incredibly successful.
    I would agree with you on this. This is a blip in an otherwise unblemished record of exceptional operational performances. And it happened after the constructors championship has been comfortably won. Besides it show that the Mercedes team are humans. Nonetheless it was very embarassing as it occured under the spotlight of the world on Russell and consequentially on Mercedes. Everyone assumed Mercedes would produce their usual highly efficient operation. The question on everyone's mind was could Russell excell and win the race using that level of team support.

He showed twice that he could win the race and drove a Hamiltonesque type of race. But the Mercedes pitcrew, unfortunately performed to a standard less than what their junior driver was producing. Yes, they would find out what caused the breakdown of communition and why the crew failed to use a manual process to ensure they recovered from the technical setback in a respectable way. And they would fix it for future races to come. It is a learning opportunity and that is what Mercedes does best.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 7th December 2020 at 10:32.
    William Shakespeare

12. Likes: truefan72 (7th December 2020)
    It is interesting that Ocon, another Mercedes junior was second on the podium out of all the Mercedes melt down. And he managed to finish where everyone suggested would be a respectable position for Russell to finish given Bottas' experience. Great advertisement Ocon, super.

So Mercedes suddenly find themselves with two exceptional junior drivers capable of winning races given the Wxx-Series Mercedes F1 racing car. It was embarrassing for Mercedes but there was a silver lining as well.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 8th December 2020 at 09:56.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    But why could not Russel continue on the tires he was given even if they were Bottas's, and give Bottas a new set?

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    But why could not Russel continue on the tires he was given even if they were Bottas's, and give Bottas a new set?
    Because it´s against rules to use others tyres, Russell should have been DQ from race.

It was last new set for Bottas, there were no others left for him, that´s why they did put old ones back.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

16. Likes: N. Jones (9th December 2020),Sulland (10th December 2020)