Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 9,347 Times in 4,964 Posts
    Best car = best time
    #M-SPORTER

2. Likes: Whyzars (5th December 2020)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Yeah , Mia , and Bottas usually learns the tracks faster than Lewis , and this is a new track for all of them , in this configuration .

My my my .
    Doubters :-)

Do not write off Bottas yet.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Doubters :-)

Do not write off Bottas yet.
    Not counting him out. But Russel takes p1 again in FP2. The mercedes car is solid for this track and to be honest Bottas was pretty fast but only by going off track. He just looks like the pressure is right on him and he is not handling it well. Bottas chose the absolute worst time to have his worst Friday sessions. He is looking like the guy new to the car and team. Smh
    Last edited by truefan72; 5th December 2020 at 05:25.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Hey its only free practice but to be able to be instantly on the pace, never mind topping the time sheets with such a big margin for such a short track, speaks volumes for Russell.

However.. he has so many new things to learn with the Merc and familiarize himself with that I'm still expecting Bottas to get the better of him on Sunday.
    Even if Russell did get a shock pole he still has a far bigger task ahead of him than Bottas. A bad start or wrong setting could turn his performance on its head instantly.

I love a fairytale and I'll be rooting for him but knowing just how mamoth a task it would be, I'm keeping my expectations in reality check.

Here is a question.. If Russell was leading Bottas and both clear of the field.. do you think Merc would move Bottas ahead by pit/race strategy?
    He is looking flaky already and I reckon Bottas's confidence could implode and they couldend up with a confidence shattered driver for 2021 if they didn't pull such a stunt in that situation.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    And is Lewis really that ggod. Questions questions. Or is Russle then only or next "Got" or will it all even up. My my my.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    And is Lewis really that ggod. Questions questions. Or is Russle then only or next "Got" or will it all even up. My my my.
    We haven't even had qualy yet Mia.. and even if he did get a shock pole, you know what the Lewis fan answers to that would be.

'Lewis led development on this car to be what it is, Russell wouldnt have been able to do that as a relative rookie. Excelling in car development is part of becoming the GOAT'

...and to be fair there is probably a degree of truth in that but yeah.. it would probably diminish Lewis's achievements a tad in the eyes of some.

Lets wait for qualy and the race before having this discussion though eh? Its a bit early.

8. Likes: Mia 01 (5th December 2020),pantealex (5th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    I don't think we can raise these sort of questions at this stage. Firstly, because you are being dismissive of Bottas. You are saying Bottas is crap, which is not true. Secondly, one race does not automaticallky equate to being able to become world champion, not to mention multiple world champion. We had this feeling before for Vandoorne when he got his golden opportunity and performed above expectation. He went on to replace a world champion but did not produce on his promise next to Alonso in the Mclaren.

I think Russell is capable of becoming at least a world champion. Time would tell if he can be a multiple world champion. To be world champion, he must first get a seat in the Mercedes car. And must hope that Ferrari or Redbull do not somehow produce a better car in his racing future. If those things happen {Ferrari or Redbull producing a better car}, then we may be singing the praises of Leclerc or Verstapenn instead in the future.

Russell's journey is just beginning. And it promises of great things to come. But let us not forget all the great things that made Schumacher and Hamilton great in the first place. Russell would need to reproduce those things to join this illustrious exclusive club of great F1 Multiple World champions. Which currently have Fangio, Prost, Schumacher and Hamilton in it.

Trust me when l say, that being top of the standing during free practise or winning one race by no means guarantees that this would be the case. Just ask Alonso or Vettel. But if Mercedes continue to have the dominant car during his career, all he has to do is to subdue Bottas or whoever is in the other car; parhaps Vandoorne, and he would essentially become a multiple world champion. That is easily said than done.

That said, l personally believe he has it in him to become a multiple world champion. But so does Leclerc, Verstapenn and Gasly. Probably Norris and Sainz also. So he would need to dig deep, have all the necessary luck and a dominant car to achieve this feat. As he would be doing it in the company of equally very strong competition from Leclerc, Verstapenn etc.

I would give my left kidney to see him have the opportunity to try.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th December 2020 at 07:45.
    William Shakespeare

10. Likes: Whyzars (5th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Not counting him out. But Russel takes p1 again in FP2. The mercedes car is solid for this track and to be honest Bottas was pretty fast but only by going off track. He just looks like the pressure is right on him and he is not handling it well. Bottas chose the absolute worst time to have his worst Friday sessions. He is looking like the guy new to the car and team. Smh
    Yeah, it is very worrying for Bottas. If the youngster can be this fast on his first outing for Mercedes, with a little bit more time in the car, he may turn out to be consistently faster than Bottas. Especially him not being properly comfortable in the car as the car was built around Hamilton.

Russell is looking very strong at the moment. A good sunday race would underline his suitability for a Mercedes seat.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th December 2020 at 08:44.
    William Shakespeare

There is a good chance that Hamilton might sit out the rest of the season. If that happens, we wouild have a even better meassure of the comparison between Bottas and Russell with one race experience at Abu Dhabi.
    William Shakespeare

13. Likes: Mia 01 (5th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I don't think we can raise these sort of questions at this stage. Firstly, because you are being dismissive of Bottas. You are saying Bottas is crap, which is not true. Secondly, one race does not automaticallky equate to being able to become world champion, not to mention multiple world champion. We had this feeling before for Vandoorne when he got his golden opportunity and performed above expectation. He went on to replace a world champion but did not produce on his promise next to Alonso in the Mclaren.

I think Russell is capable of becoming at least a world champion. Time would tell if he can be a multiple world champion. To be world champion, he must first get a seat in the Mercedes car. And must hope that Ferrari or Redbull do not somehow produce a better car in his racing future. If those things happen {Ferrari or Redbull producing a better car}, then we may be singing the praises of Leclerc or Verstapenn instead in the future.

Russell's journey is just beginning. And it promises of great things to come. But let us not forget all the great things that made Schumacher and Hamilton great in the first place. Russell would need to reproduce those things to join this illustrious exclusive club of great F1 Multiple World champions. Which currently have Fangio, Prost, Schumacher and Hamilton in it.

Trust me when l say, that being top of the standing during free practise or winning one race by no means guarantees that this would be the case. Just ask Alonso or Vettel. But if Mercedes continue to have the dominant car during his career, all he has to do is to subdue Bottas or whoever is in the other car; parhaps Vandoorne, and he would essentially become a multiple world champion. That is easily said than done.

That said, l personally believe he has it in him to become a multiple world champion. But so does Leclerc, Verstapenn and Gasly. Probably Norris and Sainz also. So he would need to dig deep, have all the necessary luck and a dominant car to achieve this feat. As he would be doing it in the company of equally very strong competition from Leclerc, Verstapenn etc.

I would give my left kidney to see him have the opportunity to try.

I totally agree.

The 2020 reg changes and budget cap are going to be an equaliser/reset to some degree though. I doubt we will see the same length and level of dominance that Merc have enjoyed so far, for the foreseeable future. Its really not in the FIA's and sports best interests and as you say... even if he did prove to be of the same caliber of Charles, Max etc.. Russell could end up at Merc for 2022 and win nothing by just not being with the right team at the right time.