Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    So what happens if Russell beats Bottas this weekend and potentially in Abu Dhabi?

2. Likes: pantealex (2nd December 2020)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I'm just really surprised to see Russell got the nod considering he is contracted to Williams. I'm not expecting to beat Bottas this weekend but I wouldnt be totally shocked if he did either. Just really pleased for him and I hope he can give a good showing.

Hey, maybe Lewis is retiring after this season so they have brought Russell in early. I'm half joking of course but he hasnt signed a new contact has he?

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I'm just really surprised to see Russell got the nod considering he is contracted to Williams.
    I think Giovanazzi is Ferrari´s reserve driver, it was talked before season that it´s him not KIMI which is strange
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    I think Giovanazzi is Ferrari´s reserve driver, it was talked before season that it´s him not KIMI which is strange
    Yeah, I'm aware of that arrangement.. but considering Stoffel is supposed to be Mercs reserve driver I just didn't see this one coming.
    It does make good sense though.. although I can imagine Vandoorne wont be so happy.

6. Likes: pantealex (3rd December 2020)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    So what happens if Russell beats Bottas this weekend and potentially in Abu Dhabi?
    The Vandoorne effect at Mclaren is likely to take place. Russell is a threat to Bottas. And by God, he has to deliver his very best performance at this race. After two bad race weekends and a junior placed in the next vacant seat. That sends as clear a message as possible to Bottas.

There is no excuse now, no Hamilton to contend with. He is effectively the benchmark for the whole grid this weekend. His worry is Verstapenn firstly and then Russell.

If Russell can be within 3 tenths of Bottas at Q1, that would already be very respectable. If he can put the Mercedes in second ahead of Verstapenn, that would send ripples through the paddock.If he puts it on pole, then Bottas has real concern regardless of who wins the race. Similarly if he wins the race, regardless of the circumstances.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd December 2020 at 19:30.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: pantealex (3rd December 2020),truefan72 (4th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The Vandoorne effect at Mclaren is likely to take place. Russell is a threat to Bottas. And by God, he has to deliver his very best performance at this race. After two bad race weekends and a junior placed in the next vacant seat. That sends as clear a message as possible to Bottas.

There is no excuse now, no Hamilton to contend with. He is effectively the benchmark for the whole grid this weekend. His worry is Verstapenn firstly and then Russell.

If Russell can be within 3 tenths of Bottas at Q1, that would already be very respectable. If he can put the Mercedes in second ahead of Verstapenn, that would send ripples through the paddock.If he puts it on pole, then Bottas has real concern regardless of who wins the race. Similarly if he wins the race, regardless of the circumstances.
    So Russell takes p1 in FP1!
    Bottas 4th .322s behind and looking ragged all sessions like he feels the pressure.
    very interesting...
    you can't argue with results.

And what if find particularly annoying was DiResta's comments about how he felt Mercedes should have gone with Vandoorne. He went on and on about it and to me it sounded like he was projecting. Not only did Russell absolutely demolish those arguments, but the reason's DiResta gave for placing Vandoorne in the car were absurd. "he deserves it after his hard work" , "he flew all over the world for the team" , "there was enough time to get him prepared for the seat". moan, moan, moan. last I checked. Russell is pretty much in-line for that seat in 2022 etc. so why wouldn't Mercedes give him the opportunity now?

As I said in my previous post, the only reason for Vandoorne to be in that seat is if they wanted Bottas to not be challenged and didn't care if that second car finished in the lower top 10. Even that wouldn't be a guarantee for a Bottas winning performance as it stands he is still behind the Red bulls regardless. SMH
    In one session, Russell just proved to the entire world, why he is an incredible talent and deserving of a top seat. (not that we didn't know that already). Anthony Davidsson summed it up best; "if you exchanged helmet, it would be understandable if Russell had the session that Bottas did. ragged, locking up, looking uncomfortable in the car, making mistakes. etc. The fact that it was the other way around is a bit concerning".

This layout brings the field very tight to one another and short enough were the differences in the cars are less of a factor. Russell didn't put a foot wrong the entire session and looked every bit the part. As for Bottas...hmm.
    Last edited by truefan72; 4th December 2020 at 15:47.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Wow, Russel beats Bottas with 0.322 on a very short track. My my my Lewis!

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    Wow, Russel beats Bottas with 0.322 on a very short track. My my my Lewis!
    Yeah , Mia , and Bottas usually learns the tracks faster than Lewis , and this is a new track for all of them , in this configuration .

My my my .

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    And what if find particularly annoying was DiResta's comments about how he felt Mercedes should have gone with Vandoorne. He went on and on about it and to me it sounded like he was projecting. Not only did Russell absolutely demolish those arguments, but the reason's DiResta gave for placing Vandoorne in the car were absurd. "he deserves it after his hard work" , "he flew all over the world for the team" , "there was enough time to get him prepared for the seat". moan, moan, moan. last I checked. Russell is pretty much in-line for that seat in 2022 etc. so why wouldn't Mercedes give him the opportunity now?

As I said in my previous post, the only reason for Vandoorne to be in that seat is if they wanted Bottas to not be challenged and didn't care if that second car finished in the lower top 10. Even that wouldn't be a guarantee for a Bottas winning performance as it stands he is still behind the Red bulls regardless. SMH
    In one session, Russell just proved to the entire world, why he is an incredible talent and deserving of a top seat. (not that we didn't know that already). Anthony Davidsson summed it up best; "if you exchanged helmet, it would be understandable if Russell had the session that Bottas did. ragged, locking up, looking uncomfortable in the car, making mistakes. etc. The fact that it was the other way around is a bit concerning".

This layout brings the field very tight to one another and short enough were the differences in the cars are less of a factor. Russell didn't put a foot wrong the entire session and looked every bit the part. As for Bottas...hmm.
    That is how jealousy manifests itself. Here is a young man with potential to achieve more than he has ever done, of course he would say those things. Mercedes did the right thing. Now they would have a clear idea of the talent they have in the wings. They would have telemetry and tons of data to analyse to give them a picture of what the future ought to be. They essentially would not be putting Russell in their car blind. They would have comparative data to work with. That is a chance not to miss. And Mercedes did the smart thing here.

Of course the pressure is on Bottas as this Free practise has given him a glimpse of the true talent of Russell. The fact that the young man can come in from the cold and set the car up as he wants it. And is showing pure worrying pace. Pace enough to put Verstapenn behind. Even Hamilton would be agog to take notice.

The race tomorrow is a very important one. As it gives the paddock and fans alike a glimpse of the real challenger that Leclerc and Verstapenn need to be worried about in the near future.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th December 2020 at 08:40.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare