Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    It is a pity that Lewis Hamilton is not driving at this track. I somehow think that he would have provided a masterclass here.

I hope he gets over the bug quickly.

2. Likes: truefan72 (5th December 2020)
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    It would be very interesting to se Russel as Hamiltons team mate indeed. But I think toto is protecting Hamilton a bit, he dont want to upset team harmony.

4. Likes: Nitrodaze (5th December 2020)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    It would be very interesting to se Russel as Hamiltons team mate indeed. But I think toto is protecting Hamilton a bit, he dont want to upset team harmony.
    I like the idea of Russell as Hamilton's teammate. But l don't think he is not at the moment to protect Hamilton. I think it is to protect Russell. Especially if you look at what happened to Vandoorne pairing with Alonso, it destroyed Vandoorne's F1 career. We were deprived of seeing what this very talented F2 champion can do in F1 because of it. The same could easily happen to Russell as he would be flying too close to the sun. And the tiger in the Seven times world champion may burn him out.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th December 2020 at 15:28.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: truefan72 (5th December 2020)
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Russel isnīt a newbie as Vandoorne was, itīs his third year in F1 I think. If Russel can hop in the car and be faster than Bottas right away I have no worries for him.

Over the years they raced together Button scored moore ponits than Lewis did. It would be interesting to pair Russel and Hamilton
    Last edited by Mia 01; 5th December 2020 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    Russel isnīt a newbie as Vandoorne was, itīs his third year in F1 I think. If Russel can hop in the car and be faster than Bottas right away I have no worries for him.

Over the years they raced together Button scored moore ponits than Lewis did. It would be interesting to pair Russel and Hamilton
    Well after this weekend, if he can beat Bottas, l think he would be ready for the challenge. But the situation must be managed carefully to protect him. Because he would be going into a sword fight with a pen knife. His two years driving with rookies or against a F1 driver past his prime would not prepare him for a full season with the seasoned tiger that is Hamilton. Flashes of speed at free practise would not cut it either.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    well, well, well. Bottas beats Russell to pole by 0.026.
    to me it says Russell is top flight legit being able to almost take pole.
    It's a long race tomorrow, so we shall see what happens.
    I guarantee you, if Hamilton was paired with either Russell or Bottas he would have pulled off a 2-3tenths advantage to take pole.
    The fact that Russell and Bottas are this close is a very softy indictment on Bottas. He's a very good driver in a very good car. But it is clear he hasn't got that champions edge in performance or tenacity.
    If Russell gets past him at the star then I fully expect him to fade and remain p2 or p3.
    During the post quali interviews, i was hoping Russell would mention something to DiResta about his comments about him being in the car. but he kept it civil and only expressed how much of a learning curve he had to go through in such a short time.
    On to the race!

Finally, for those that say the car is that good and proves that anyone can drive it to the top, i would push back against that.
    For one, Hamilton extracts way more out of that car than anyone could and even in races where it seems the car is a bit weaker than the others, Hamilton still finds a way to succeed with it.
    Russell is an immense talent and it is clear he has the capability to be lightning quick with a good car. Put him in the RBR or Racing point and you would still see him towards the sharp end of the grid.
    The mercedes has a very small operating window to get properly hooked up and he has managed to find it in 3 days. if you put any other 2 drivers in that car outside of verstappen, perez, gasly and leclerc, and I am sure they won't be on the front row.
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    well, well, well. Bottas beats Russell to pole by 0.026.
    to me it says Russell is top flight legit being able to almost take pole.
    It's a long race tomorrow, so we shall see what happens.
    I guarantee you, if Hamilton was paired with either Russell or Bottas he would have pulled off a 2-3tenths advantage to take pole.
    The fact that Russell and Bottas are this close is a very softy indictment on Bottas. He's a very good driver in a very good car. But it is clear he hasn't got that champions edge in performance or tenacity.
    If Russell gets past him at the star then I fully expect him to fade and remain p2 or p3.
    During the post quali interviews, i was hoping Russell would mention something to DiResta about his comments about him being in the car. but he kept it civil and only expressed how much of a learning curve he had to go through in such a short time.
    On to the race!

Finally, for those that say the car is that good and proves that anyone can drive it to the top, i would push back against that.
    For one, Hamilton extracts way more out of that car than anyone could and even in races where it seems the car is a bit weaker than the others, Hamilton still finds a way to succeed with it.
    Russell is an immense talent and it is clear he has the capability to be lightning quick with a good car. Put him in the RBR or Racing point and you would still see him towards the sharp end of the grid.
    The mercedes has a very small operating window to get properly hooked up and he has managed to find it in 3 days. if you put any other 2 drivers in that car outside of verstappen, perez, gasly and leclerc, and I am sure they won't be on the front row.
    By this result, l surmise that Russell is quicker than Bottas. If he can be this close in a car built for another driver while driving it in the wrong shoes, imagine how quick he would be if the car was built to his specification and he fits in it comfortably.

If Russell is in the car for Abu Dhabi, Bottas would find Russell harder to beat. I would put money on Russell to take pole at Abu Dhabi.

Mia, l think you have your answer now.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th December 2020 at 18:10.
    William Shakespeare

11. Likes: Mia 01 (5th December 2020)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    With George that close , in a car that is way too small for him , and completely new to him , I would say that Russell's driving style is very similar to Lewis's .
    He's less than a blink of an eye , literally , behind , scrunched into a car in which he doesn't fit .

A lot of drivers in the paddock really look up to George , because he's 6 foot 2 .

13. Likes: Mia 01 (6th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    With George that close , in a car that is way too small for him , and completely new to him , I would say that Russell's driving style is very similar to Lewis's .
    He's less than a blink of an eye , literally , behind , scrunched into a car in which he doesn't fit .

A lot of drivers in the paddock really look up to George , because he's 6 foot 2 .
    The thing is, Hamilton is about a one to two tenths faster than the Bottas pole. I expected pole to be very low 53. Even high 52, 00:52:9 maybe. I am glad for Russell, but l would have liked to see what the Hamilton time would have looked like.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 5th December 2020 at 20:18.
    William Shakespeare

15. Likes: truefan72 (6th December 2020)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The thing is, Hamilton is about a one to two tenths faster than the Bottas pole. I expected pole to be very low 53. Even high 52, 00:52:9 maybe. I am glad for Russell, but l would have liked to see what the Hamilton time would have looked like.
    me too!
    you can't argue with results.