Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    https://i0.wp.com/formulaoneinsights...pg?w=470&ssl=1

Its not the chassis that has split. Its the powertrain that has detached from the chassis. The chassis ends behind the air inlet, and the engine and all the rest is bolted to that.

As i said, the car splitting is not really an issue. The barrier puncturing the fuel tank is.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    https://i0.wp.com/formulaoneinsights...pg?w=470&ssl=1

Its not the chassis that has split. Its the powertrain that has detached from the chassis. The chassis ends behind the air inlet, and the engine and all the rest is bolted to that.

As i said, the car splitting is not really an issue. The barrier puncturing the fuel tank is.
    What you are refering to is the survival capsule. The chassis is a combination of the survival capsule and the powertrain. The chassis is what the suspensions and tyres are coupled to. In F1 cars the powertrain is part of the chassis as it bears part of the load that a framed chassis [of road cars for instance] would bear. As a result, ideally one would want it to withstand an impact and not separate from the survival capsule. If it had done that, the survival capsule may not have lodge itself into the Amco barrier as it did. It may also have reduced the chances of the fuel sacks from rupturing and causing the fireball that happened.

The powertrain is a combination of the engine, gearbox and electric motors that boost horsepower output.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th November 2020 at 16:20.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Glad Romain is OK .
    Astonished , actually .

In the telecast , Ross stated that the fuel tank didn't likely rupture , as 1OOkg of would have been a waaaaaaay bigger fireball .

The survival cell is designed to have , in the case of a big one such as this
    , everything separate from it , to dissipate energy .
    It worked .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Glad Romain is OK .
    Astonished , actually .

In the telecast , Ross stated that the fuel tank didn't likely rupture , as 1OOkg of would have been a waaaaaaay bigger fireball .

The survival cell is designed to have , in the case of a big one such as this
    , everything separate from it , to dissipate energy .
    It worked .
    I think he was saying the fuel did not escape through the filling nozzle which is suppose to be inside the fuel sack. They are trying to establish if the seams of the carbon fibre wrapper around the fuel failed and released fuel that ignited. Of course the powertrain is suppose to break away to dissipate energy for highly violent crashes. On this occasion, the separation may have caused the survival capsule to become a projectile that pierced through the gaps of the Amco barrier it seems. Probably, the process of the survival capsule piercing through the Amco barrier caused the powertrain to separate from the Survival capsule. We wait to hear the result of the investigation.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th November 2020 at 18:08.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Romain is OK .
    Astonished , actually .

Dawgz!!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post

Dawgz!!

It's photos like this one that remind us how horrific the crashes of past days were, when a number of drivers burned to death. From the sounds of things, they estimated only a couple liters of fuel was exposed in the crash. I'm glad Romain is ok.

Though overall in the trend of fire, I have to admit I quite enjoyed when Checo was still hard on the gas pedal while flames were engulfing the entire back of the car. I hope he manages another podium to remember him by before his departure. But if not, that fire out the back reminds me of how he wasn't one to usually give up easily. I'll miss him being in the sport.

Lewis seemed to be well in control all race, but that concern over a safety car at the end could have come back to haunt Mercedes had the pink car lit up a couple laps earlier.
    Last edited by airshifter; 2nd December 2020 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    It's photos like this one that remind us how horrific the crashes of past days were, when a number of drivers burned to death. From the sounds of things, they estimated only a couple liters of fuel was exposed in the crash. I'm glad Romain is ok.

Though overall in the trend of fire, I have to admit I quite enjoyed when Checo was still hard on the gas pedal while flames were engulfing the entire back of the car. I hope he manages another podium to remember him by before his departure. But if not, that fire out the back reminds me of how he wasn't one to usually give up easily. I'll miss him being in the sport.

Lewis seemed to be well in control all race, but that concern over a safety car at the end could have come back to haunt Mercedes had the pink car lit up a couple laps earlier.
    Checo drove the car till the very last ounce of power from the engine was used up. That is a true and through racer
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd December 2020 at 14:32.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post

Fire can be friendly, as well as dangerous!
    May the forza be with you

9. Likes: airshifter (4th December 2020)
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Checo drove the car till the very last ounce of power from the engine was used up. That is a true and through racer
    That he did. And he put a stamp on the fact that he was headed towards the podium. With the dice rolling the way they have, I can't really blame him.

Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    Nice! Finally for both Perez and Ocon. Well done!
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."