Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post

But as for being 'so slow from year to another' - he hasnt been that slow at times
    examples, please

Greensmith's pace in 2020

Monte: Once 5th on a stage, being faster than Rovanperä, Suninen and Loeb; faster than Suninen on another stage, otherwise slowest WRC.
    Mexico: Slowest WRC on all desert stages except once faster than Rovanperä (don't remember if Rovanperä had an issue here)
    Estonia: Mostly slowest WRC or among the slowest ones, often slower than total newbie Loubet! Only once faster than Lappi (the second time Lappi spun)
    Turkey: Mostly slowest WRC or among the slowest ones, only once faster than Lappi who was on the wrong settings.
    Sardegna: Mostly slowest WRC or among the slowest ones, managed to be faster than Evans and Ogier on day1 when they were cleaning the road.

I think his biggest achievement was managing through the Cetibeli stage in Turkey where almost everyone had a puncture. Meanwhile, a very embarrassing crash in Monte and some spins in Estonia as well as an off on the shakedown in Turkey.

Lappi, Suninen and Rovanperä took only 1-2 events in the WRC car to win their first stage and show rally winning pace. Greensmith has been "learning" for already 1,5 years. He wasn't that impressive in WRC2 either, only won two events (Monte and Turkey 2019). I don't expect him to ever get faster than this.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 23rd November 2020 at 14:48.

3. Likes: pantealex (23rd November 2020),T16 (23rd November 2020)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Remember when KIMI was driving ?

Nearly everyone here said that he doesn´t belong to WRC...

Now people are understanding that this sport needs all possible drivers

Those "rich" ones aren´t taking any places off from young talents.

btw. I think Fergus is slow, MSport should have real 3rd driver. Same system for Fergus/Katsuta/Loubet = 4/5th car.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Kimi, Kubica and Rossi etc have the potential to cross over fans from other motorsports, thus they are important and welcome

6. Likes: Jarek Z (25th November 2020),pantealex (23rd November 2020),Portimao (29th November 2020)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Greensmith clearly has talent and isnt just driving around. He also has big mitigation in that he hasnt done full seasons to learn all the events, he has a car that isnt the fastest (unlike the other rookies) and the team hasnt been able to gve him any testing this year either.

And look at the years it took Tanak and Evans to be fully-competitive even with several full seasons in WRC.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Greensmith clearly has talent and isnt just driving around. He also has big mitigation in that he hasnt done full seasons to learn all the events, he has a car that isnt the fastest (unlike the other rookies) and the team hasnt been able to gve him any testing this year either.

And look at the years it took Tanak and Evans to be fully-competitive even with several full seasons in WRC.
    Hell’s bells!!! Are you seriously comparing Tanak and Evans to Greensmith?

If you think Greensmith will get anywhere near the same ball park as those two, you’re well off the mark.

You don’t have to back everyone in a Ford Eddie.

9. Likes: AnttiL (24th November 2020),cali (24th November 2020),dimviii (24th November 2020),EstWRC (24th November 2020),pantealex (24th November 2020),Tauri_J (25th November 2020)

Let's look!

Tänak's first WRC car event was Wales 2011. On SS12 he was 3rd fastest, beating the likes of Ogier, Østberg, Sordo, Meeke and Novikov. In his third WRC start, Sweden 2012, he won a stage.

Elfyn also was 2nd and 4th on stages in Monte 2014, his second WRC start.

These are already better than Greensmith has done in his eight starts.

It's true that it takes years to become a regular podium finisher or winner, and not all get there ever. But any driver to become should be able to show even occasional bursts of speed earlier on. Even Lefebvre won a few stages!

To be fair, I have the same feeling about Katsuta, I doubt he will progress much from the current level, even with this much practice.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 24th November 2020 at 13:08.

11. Likes: T16 (24th November 2020)
    Liked 12,153 Times in 5,211 Posts
    and Tänaks debut was on Dmacks

Gus will get maybe some podiums with luck or when circumstances go on his way but on pure speed i dont see him gettin one, at least not at the moment.

Doesnt seem very talented guy, same with Loubet for me.

The next big things and fast guys are Solberg and Rovanpera, Gryazin maybe too, he has been bit disappointing this year
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    and Tänaks debut was on Dmacks

Gus will get maybe some podiums with luck or when circumstances go on his way but on pure speed i dont see him gettin one, at least not at the moment.

Doesnt seem very talented guy, same with Loubet for me.

The next big things and fast guys are Solberg and Rovanpera, Gryazin maybe too, he has been bit disappointing this year
    I don’t think Gryazin even will make that level, this season has been hugely disappointing.

14. Likes: cali (24th November 2020)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think he already said he's looking more at a WRC2 campaign for 2021.
    Mikkelsen should use some of his budget to get in at Msport.

Hyundai is blocked for him, and Toyota have overlooked him even when his stock was at his highest which was years ago....
    They'll need a 3rd driver to replace Ogier in 2022, but Evans and Kalle will be their two main drivers and the Japanese could bring JML back in for a split season with someone like Oliver Solberg.

Mikkelsen should bring money for a drive in a rally 1 car, even if it's just for 6 events. Prove he can beat Lappi and Suninen, and he will then not only get a look in at Msport for 2022, but he could get a chance to test and develop the new 2022 car. And in 22, Msport might be the place to be. They seem to always start well with a new car, before being caught and surpassed in the development a few years down the line.

16. Likes: T16 (24th November 2020)