Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    What a finish for Perez and Vettel. That is a redemption podium
    And quite telling Ferrari's best performance came on the one week-end that Binotto wasn't at the track.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I just want to say that I think today proved once again that Verstappen is not the driver he has been made out to be from
    The start of his career. Personally I rate LeClerc as a superior than Max and a number of others on the grid. He has the talent but I’m unsure he has the intelligence to become an all time great. LeClerc clearly has it all and I believe will be one of the GOATs. Max has a longer way to go to get there imo.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    And quite telling Ferrari's best performance came on the one week-end that Binotto wasn't at the track.
    Yup! They still tried to mess him up with a 5.3sec slow pit stop.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    And Perez is 41 points ahead of stroll in p4 in the WDC. It was a dumb decision to release him from the Racing point seat. One that looks more ridiculous every day. Perez and Hamilton are the only 2 drivers to score in every race they participated in this season.
    There were others out there that tried to turn on the inters , and couldn't at that point on the drying and cold track , so Stroll should get a bit of a break there .
    And , Checo should thank Lance for being the guinea pig , showing him the inters were not the way to go .
    Checo made them last , so deserves praise for that , but he stated after the race that it looked like the tires would not have lasted another lap .

So , there was luck involved in his second place .

Mind you , Lance wanted slicks , so who knows how that would have worked out .
    The car was working it's tires hard , which is the reason for the graining starting as the dry lines appeared , but also likely the reason Lance could drive away from them in the first stint , so maybe slicks would have worked .

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    There were others out there that tried to turn on the inters , and couldn't at that point on the drying and cold track , so Stroll should get a bit of a break there .
    And , Checo should thank Lance for being the guinea pig , showing him the inters were not the way to go .
    Checo made them last , so deserves praise for that , but he stated after the race that it looked like the tires would not have lasted another lap .

So , there was luck involved in his second place .

Mind you , Lance wanted slicks , so who knows how that would have worked out .
    The car was working it's tires hard , which is the reason for the graining starting as the dry lines appeared , but also likely the reason Lance could drive away from them in the first stint , so maybe slicks would have worked .
    It was simply inexperience that punished Stroll. He caned it from the get go and grained the tyres. He did not gradually build temperature into the tyres like everyone else was doing. Once it grained, it was a slippery slope to losing more temperature and consequentially grip, from the tyres. Simply poor tyre management that made him fade from 1st to 9th. No excuse. He cannot blame the car for his misfortune, it was all him.

There were still lots of wet patches on the racing line at a number of places to not warrant the use of slicks. With the fear of more rain coming, l can see why they did not consider it.

I think Perez may have made the inters work if he were changed to it. He probably may have also won the race on inters.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st November 2020 at 18:34.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Actually it wasn't tire management. The team is saying he had wing damage which caused lack of front downforce (remember him complaining of severe understeer) which resulted in the tire wear.
    https://www.pitpass.com/68606/Stroll...by-wing-damage

Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    Actually it wasn't tire management. The team is saying he had wing damage which caused lack of front downforce (remember him complaining of severe understeer) which resulted in the tire wear.
    He didn't have wing damage when he was leading the race by 10 seconds. So it must have happened after he went unto the inters. Hence it could have happened at some point when he was on inters. I don't buy the talk about the wing being the reason why he faded backwards. It is m,iore like the wing got damaged due the the tyres lossing grip
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: N. Jones (18th November 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    He didn't have wing damage when he was leading the race by 10 seconds. So it must have happened after he went unto the inters. Hence it could have happened at some point when he was on inters. I don't buy the talk about the wing being the reason why he faded backwards. It is more like the wing got damaged due the the tyres losing grip
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    It started pretty early , somewhere around 17 laps in , as that was when he started complaining about grip .
    And , nobody could see any issue from the appearance of the top of the wing , so all and sundry were baffled about why Lance was all of a sudden going backwards .

Then folks started laughing about him being baffled about it , saying he just simply cooked the tires .
    Then , they said the wing got damaged somehow by the tires being cooked .

The guy can't win , at least not with a busted front wing .

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Here you go again Richbashing. That he got pole, is evidence that he deserves a place on the grid. Money cannot buy that, that is pure skill.
    I did the best I could not to like Lance Stroll, and haven't wanted to believe that he should be in F1. And yep, it was because I saw him as just another rich kid who got a seat based on daddy's money. And OK, while that part is true, he's shown me that he has some speed and skill in his pocket. He'll never win the WDC, but he's not the slouch that I tried to make him out to be. And even though things fell apart during the race, the kid doesn't have anything to be ashamed of. I have to take my hat off to him.

Amazing by Hamilton. What an astounding performance to claim his 7th WDC championships. An incredible drive by an incredible champ.
    Over the years I've been blessed enough to watch some of the true greats of our beloved sport: Lauda, Prost, Senna and Schumacher. I've watched Hamilton build on the brilliance that I first saw when he was in F3. I've seen him grow and mature from a kid who was hard on his tires to a racing genius, who is now probably easier on his tires than anyone out there, knowing how to force others to eat theirs up, and then he turns up the wick and pounces. I don't care whether his critics want to nitpick his lifestyle, politics or anything else. This guy is nothing short of amazing!!! I personally never liked Prost (Senna fanatic here), but I certainly respected his driving and racing skills. But on his best day, he wasn't close to the league that Hamilton is in right now. How he did what he did on Sunday, I'm still trying to figure out.

Mercedes-AMG F1: PAY THAT MAN! If he asks for the Merc factory in Alabama to be named after him, order a new sign today.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

12. Likes: Bagwan (18th November 2020)