Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park

We return to Istanbul Park after a nine year absence from the F1 calendar. The last race at this track was in 2011, right in the thick of the Redbull golden years. Sebastien Vettel won the last race on this track with Webber 2nd and Alonso in the Ferrari, 3rd. Vettel set poll on this occasion at 1:25:049. A time that is most likely to be smashed this weekend.

Filipe Massa is the most successful driver to race this track with three consecutive wins [2006 to 2008] in the scarlet Ferrari. Ferrari is the most success constructor to race on this circuit also. On the current grid, only Raikonen, Hamilton and Vettel have each won this race in the past.

This is typically an anticlockwise race track of 5.3km of some torturous 14 corners. It is a mix of various types of corners and one kinked straight. This track would suit the Redbull to a tee. We should expect Mercedes to get a proper challenge from Verstapenn's Redbull. It is also an unforgiving track that usually spit drivers out into the gravel traps.

Istanbull Park is also very punishing to tyres. Hence, it would be interesting to see how the Pirellis hold up to 58 laps of the famous turn 8.

Lewis Hamilton has the unique opportunity to close out the drivers title early, if he wins this race. That said, Hamilton can afford to finish second for the rest of the season and still comfortably win the title. Bottas can only win the title if Hamilton recieves zero point at this race and the rest of the season or Hamilton finish 2nd at this race and thereafter have zero points for the rest of the season. If Hamilton wins this race, he can also afford not to race for the rest of the season. Bottas still need to keep an eye out for Verstapenn, who is likely to gain some grounds on him at this race.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th November 2020 at 13:30.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Why was Albon brought in after only 6 laps on the softs. Yet another baffling move by RBR. Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Why was Albon brought in after only 6 laps on the softs. Yet another baffling move by RBR. Ridiculous
    He is the guinea pig for setting up Verstapenn's car, that's why.
    William Shakespeare

Slippery tarmac with rain, what a dodgy qualifying session we have here.

Watching a helicopter pan around the full track, l am reminded what a great track Istanbul Park is. We are in for an unusual race this weekend. It would be good if someone else other than the mercedes drivers and Verstapenn win this race tomorrow. Maybe Ocon, Albon or Perez would be great l think.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th November 2020 at 12:39.
    William Shakespeare

Masi and the stewards are a complete joke. Half the field violates the double yellows and he lets those drivers go. While those who backed off effectively get penalized for following the rules. Wtf is this nonsense of investigating after the session? It is beyond ridiculous
    Last edited by truefan72; 14th November 2020 at 14:07.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Boy oh boy did RBR mess up there. It was Max’s pole to lose. I can’t believe that useless mess Stroll managed to get pole.🙈I’d be congratulatory if he deserved a place on the grid, which he doesn’t.

Was hoping Perez would get it, he deserves a pole position.

Shocking from Mercedes. That car just didn’t work in the cold wet weather.

Congrats to stroll and Perez. Every one of Hamilton’s laps was impeded by a yellow forcing him to back off every time. Oh well, that’s what Mercedes gets for trying to always be last out of the pits. Perhaps next time they will drop their arrogance and try and be out earlier and quicker especially when they knew their cars struggled to warm their tires.
    Verstappen race strategy potentially cost them the pole by sending verstappen out right behind Kimi.
    Now for the post session fiasco of assessing Q1 double yellow incidents. Ugh

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Boy oh boy did RBR mess up there. It was Max’s pole to lose. I can’t believe that useless mess Stroll managed to get pole.��I’d be congratulatory if he deserved a place on the grid, which he doesn’t.

See , all young Lance needed was a big ol' hug and he's immediately on the pole .
    Maybe you need a hug now , too ?

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Boy oh boy did RBR mess up there. It was Max’s pole to lose. I can’t believe that useless mess Stroll managed to get pole.🙈I’d be congratulatory if he deserved a place on the grid, which he doesn’t.

I missed Qualy but was actually impressed that Stroll was on pole when I saw the results.
    With the new super slick surface and the conditions being so poor, I was thinking anyone who masters that deserves it..

Was it pure luck of being on the right tyres at the right time? Did he not deserve pole?

Boy oh boy did RBR mess up there. It was Max’s pole to lose. I can’t believe that useless mess Stroll managed to get pole.��I’d be congratulatory if he deserved a place on the grid, which he doesn’t.

Here you go again Richbashing. That he got pole, is evidence that he deserves a place on the grid. Money cannot buy that, that is pure skill.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 18th November 2020 at 09:07.
    William Shakespeare