Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Failures

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Failures

As we gear up towards the start of the 2013 series, I thought it would be interesting to look back at some of the failed entries of the past few years (add more if I've missed anyone!).

First up:

TH Motorsport Skoda Octavia vRS

What was the plan?

Matt Hamilton announced during the 2011 Summer break that he would return to the series in 2012 in a TH Motorsport Skoda Octavia vRS.

What happened?

Apparently sponsors backed out and the car has been on hiatus ever since. There is significant doubt as to whether anything was ever built in the first place.

Chance of revival?

Very little

IF Motorsport Fiat Punto Arbarth

What was the plan?

IF Motorsport intended to build a pair of the cars for the 2011 series, run by ex-BTCC Class B runner Bryce Wilson.

What happened?

Not a lot. Quickly shot down by Alan Gow who stated that the team had not been in contact with TOCA and the car was not eligible. Seems to have been entirely "pie-in-the-sky".

Chance of revival?

None

Team 48 Motorsport Alfa Romeo 156

What was the plan?

Headed by the footballer Luthar Blissett, the team was to enter a pair of Alfa Romeo's in the BTCC in 2008 for Darrelle Wilson and Matthew Gore.

What happened?

The team never owned any of the ex-Pinkney Alfas, nor did Matthew Gore even possess a valid racing licence for the UK. The showed a painted-up shell at media day, with no running gear - and later announced they would be forced to miss the first round as they were still "fine-tuning" the organisation. Time passed and they were never heard of again.

Chance of revival?

As much as Jamaica winning Gold in the bobsleigh.

Xero Competition Lexus IS200

What was the plan?

Announced plans to bring a pair of Dutch Lexus S2000 cars into the BTCC for the 2006 season, and tested with a number of drivers.

What happened?

Put together a deal to run Adam Jones from the 3rd meeting onwards, with Air Cool sponsorship. Car ran competently if unspectacularly throughout the season, with a second car under the Team Forward Racing banner being entered for the final two rounds for Mark Jones (no relation). The team were supposed to return mid-way through the next season with an "exciting, new driver" according to posts from one of their employees, tbd, on this very forum. Never returned to the grid and Xero continued running in sportscars.

Chance of revival?

Team is still active - but will never return with the Lexus.

Clyde Valley Racing Chevrolet Lacetti

What was the plan?

Announced to much fan-fare in Autosport in the Summer of 2006, Clyde Valley Racing were to enter a pair of Chevrolet Lacetti's powered by biofuel for Dan Eaves and team boss Colin Neill in 2007.

What happened?

This has to be one of the ultimate dreamer attempts, with the shock twist that something did actually materialise eventually. The team had no money, no sponsor, no Chevrolet's were even built and there were doubts as to whether they'd even be available. The team failed to turn up in either 2007 or 2008. In 2009, the team acquired a SEAT Leon, and Dan Eaves signed up to drive it alongside Adam Jones who brought his own car to the team. Half a season later and Eaves was gone, no explanation given, replaced by Gordon Shedden, until a couple of meetings later the entire time folded. Phiroze Bilimoria who was originally due to be racing one of the cars was, as of 2010 at least, in the process of suing Colin Neill. I do not know the outcome.

Chance of revival?

From what I've heard, the further Colin Neill is kept from running a business again, the better. [So that's a NO]

TTR Motorsport

What was the plan?

To run a BTCC car of some description, maybe a Peugeot 307

What happened?

This is maybe my favourite of all the dreamers. Toby Weeks, founder and sole-employee of TTR Motorsport posted on Ten Tenths forums in the Summer of 2004 enquiring as to whether people thought the Peugeot 307 would be a good investment as a BTCC car. He claimed not to have followed the 2003 season closely, and wanted forum members opinions as to whether it would be a good choice. He had been given numbers to all the top teams of the time, apart from RMLs number was wrong and he couldn't get through to the others. A couple of questions later on the forum and suddenly he was going to be running MGs instead, "my drivers prefer it" but he was "not a liberty" to tell us who they were. They later opened up a scholarship scheme at a grand an entry.

Chance of revival?

If a probability of less than 0 is ever discovered, it's probably because it's trying to be applied to this.

JSM Alfa Romeo 147

What was the plan?

Initially? To run as many as SIX BTC-Touring specification and FOUR BTC-Production specification Alfa Romeo 147s in the 2001 BTCC. This was later scaled back to just four touring-class cars, which eventually became two. Darren Malkin and David Pinkney were signed up to be the drivers.

What happened?

The team did turn up. At the first round at Brands they just about finished the first of their 147s, but it was in no fit state to be entered. David Pinkney completed a few slow laps in one of the races. Darren Malkin's deal had already fallen through due to "sponsorship issues" at this point. The team plowed on through the season, with a summer switch to a new engine supplier at least helping reliability somewhat. Tim Harvey scored a remarkable podium in the car at Oulton Park, albeit in a race only 4 cars finished. The team made it to the end of the season, with intentions of returning in 2002. The team entered administration in November 2001, with almost the entire season having been run on credit [allegedly]

Chance of revival?

NONE! Which was a shame, as it was a nice looking car.

More if and when I remember them, I'm sure there's loads. Would be great to see other contributions.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
    JSM Alfa Romeo 147

What was the plan?

Initially? To run as many as SIX BTC-Touring specification and FOUR BTC-Production specification Alfa Romeo 147s in the 2001 BTCC. This was later scaled back to just four touring-class cars, which eventually became two. Darren Malkin and David Pinkney were signed up to be the drivers.

What happened?

The team did turn up. At the first round at Brands they just about finished the first of their 147s, but it was in no fit state to be entered. David Pinkney completed a few slow laps in one of the races. Darren Malkin's deal had already fallen through due to "sponsorship issues" at this point. The team plowed on through the season, with a summer switch to a new engine supplier at least helping reliability somewhat. Tim Harvey scored a remarkable podium in the car at Oulton Park, albeit in a race only 4 cars finished. The team made it to the end of the season, with intentions of returning in 2002. The team entered administration in November 2001, with almost the entire season having been run on credit [allegedly]

Chance of revival?

NONE! Which was a shame, as it was a nice looking car.
    Don't forget that, later in the year, Tom Ferrier led at Donington in one of the 147s as a result of a clever tyre choice in a dry/wet race, only to retire straight after a safety car period. If the safety car hadn't come out, he probably wouldn't have had the pace to stay in front despite a big lead, but it was still a good effort. I thought JSM did pretty well, all told. Then, Gordon Shedden was going to drive one of the 147s for GR Motorsport in 2002. Certainly, that failed to materialise altogether, despite his being on the entry list.

Talking of 2002, it was of course also planned for Total Motor Sport Racing to return with their two Lexus IS200s for 'Autocar' journalist Steve Sutcliffe, who had driven one rather effectively in the Brands finale in 2001, and Richard Dean. I seem to recall this turned into a bit of a farce, with their appearance constantly promised at the first few rounds, but never actually happening.

Then in 2004 there was the Carly Motors/Schnitzer Sportscars BMW effort for James Hanson and Tom Ferrier. More here — BTCC Pages - British Touring Car Championship — and here — Bmw. Ferrier had also been due to drive a third Triple Eight-run Astra Coupe in 2001 before the Egg deal was done with Thompson and Bennett; eventually, as mentioned above, he did a few rounds in a JSM Alfa.

Some earlier examples spring to mind, too. There was to have been a works Mercedes entry at some point in 1993 with the C-Class — my recollection is that AMG were going to build the car for Prodrive to run. Why that didn't happen I can't recall.

For 1995, Tim Harvey was touted as a possible driver alongside Peter Hardman in an independent BMW team — Metal Composite Technologies (MCT)? In fact, I'm sure Harvey said pre-season that he was either going to drive for that team or Volvo.

Efforts were made by TOM's in the wake of Toyota canning their works effort to run a pair of Carinas independently in 1996 — drivers touted as Tim Sugden and Flavio Figueiredo?

The works Alfa team entered Giovanardi and Nicola Larini for the 1998 championship in order for them to run their then new 156s at the August Thruxton meeting, but they didn't show there or at any other meeting. Wasn't that meant to have been a prelude to a possible full campaign in 1999?

Andy Rouse actually built and tested a Super Touring-spec Toyota Corolla for 1998, with Patrick Watts due to take the wheel — info here: 1998 Andy Rouse Corolla 2.0 BTCC Supertourer - 10-Tenths Motorsport Forum

Then I remember talk in the 1999-2000 close season of Arena running a pair of current-spec Accords for Peter Kox and Will Hoy in 2000 — for some reason possible Pioneer sponsorship comes to mind, though I could be totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Then, Gordon Shedden was going to drive one of the 147s for GR Motorsport in 2002. Certainly, that failed to materialise altogether, despite his being on the entry list.
    I had completely forgotten about that! I remember the mock-ups now, it was going to be all plain red wasn't it. It never got as far as the entry list, the team were talking about starting the season at Thruxton, but it never happened.

Talking of 2002, it was of course also planned for Total Motor Sport Racing to return with their two Lexus IS200s for 'Autocar' journalist Steve Sutcliffe, who had driven one rather effectively in the Brands finale in 2001, and Richard Dean. I seem to recall this turned into a bit of a farce, with their appearance constantly promised at the first few rounds, but never actually happening.
    Ah yes, that's right. They even got as far as announcing a deal to partner up with VLR in 2002, running what was supposed to be four Lexus, two for TMSR and two for VLR. Then sometime in January/February the whole thing fell apart and VLR picked up Halfords sponsorship for their old 406s.

I had completely forgotten about that! I remember the mock-ups now, it was going to be all plain red wasn't it. It never got as far as the entry list, the team were talking about starting the season at Thruxton, but it never happened.
    Yes, it was red. Somewhere online there's a picture, but I can't now find it. Could have sworn it appeared on the entry list, but obviously not.

Ah yes, that's right. They even got as far as announcing a deal to partner up with VLR in 2002, running what was supposed to be four Lexus, two for TMSR and two for VLR. Then sometime in January/February the whole thing fell apart and VLR picked up Halfords sponsorship for their old 406s.
    I'd forgotten all about the proposed VLR tie-up. Certainly, TMSR were still saying their two cars would be out at the first meeting, then the second...

I'd forgotten all about the proposed VLR tie-up. Certainly, TMSR were still saying their two cars would be out at the first meeting, then the second...
    I wonder what ever happened to the cars. I don't believe the 2nd one was ever finished - but there certainly was one complete, and at the time, relatively competitive car, that completely vanished.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Then in 2004 there was the Carly Motors/Schnitzer Sportscars BMW effort for James Hanson and Tom Ferrier. More here — BTCC Pages - British Touring Car Championship — and here — Bmw. Ferrier had also been due to drive a third Triple Eight-run Astra Coupe in 2001 before the Egg deal was done with Thompson and Bennett; eventually, as mentioned above, he did a few rounds in a JSM Alfa.
    If I remember right, Schnitzer weren't happy with their name being used, or something along those lines. Carly Motors is an interesting one. Carly sold up and had a gender change apparantly!

For 1995, Tim Harvey was touted as a possible driver alongside Peter Hardman in an independent BMW team — Metal Composite Technologies (MCT)? In fact, I'm sure Harvey said pre-season that he was either going to drive for that team or Volvo.
    I think MCT were a related company to GB Motorsport who ran the Renaults in 1993-4. I'd have to dig out an old copy of 'Top Race & Rally' to confirm that.

Gareth Howell (not the Welsh one from the 2000s) and the Atford team. Had an ambitious self-build Mondeo project that was rumoured a few times from around 94 to 99. Think it may have been completed and tested once. The shell was for sale last year.

There was a team aiming to run Alex Kapadia in the 2002 Production class in a Focus. Brooklands RT. I think the aim was to have students from the college involved in the mechanical side of things. Alex sets fast pace for new team - Other Sport - Leighton Buzzard Observer

I'm sure I'll remember more by later on today.

Regarding Colin Neill, I always had my doubts when I walked into my local shopping centre one day and saw him selling Candis magazines, with his CVR hat on. Surely a team principal can't be that hard up for cash?
    You lot still here?!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    I think MCT were a related company to GB Motorsport who ran the Renaults in 1993-4. I'd have to dig out an old copy of 'Top Race & Rally' to confirm that.
    I'm pretty certain of that too. A vague recollection suggests that Keith Greene, who had been the Renault team boss, was involved, though I couldn't be sure of that. Did they perhaps run the Motorola-backed BMWs Harvey and Justin Bell drove in the Asia-Pacific series, or was that another team?

I wonder what ever happened to the cars. I don't believe the 2nd one was ever finished - but there certainly was one complete, and at the time, relatively competitive car, that completely vanished.
    Don't know. Weren't all sorts of outfits involved with TMSR, after ABG Motorsport pulled out of the Lexus programme, by the end of 2001 — Janspeed and GA Motorsport, for example? It really was a shame the whole affair became such a shambles, because the car seemed to have real potential.