Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    So how many people watch a car for five seconds in Finland that buy one?
    If you’re in a forest watching one, the chances are you know the car you’re watching doesn’t resemble the one you buy, unless you’re Eddie.
    Also, the question remains, how are they getting the exposure these days?
    It must surely be quantifiable, because otherwise, what’s the point?
    Maybe it is social media / YouTube etc that’s become the biggest platform?
    Remember Subaru before, during and after rallying?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cali; 22nd October 2020 at 07:13.

2. Likes: tommeke_B (22nd October 2020)
    Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    theres a TV AD with Järveoja for Hyundai Tucson.

when Tänak was in Toyota there were Toyota banners with him on the streets i remember.

also the Estonian Hyundai and Toyota social media sites have/had stuff with them.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: T16 (22nd October 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I'm not a car person at all, and I don't even own a car. But when I see a Fiesta, Yaris, i20, C3 or Fabia on the street, they look more appealing to me than other cars. And I think this is the marketing purpose of rallying.

6. Likes: Hartusvuori (23rd October 2020),Jarek Z (22nd October 2020),Rallyper (22nd October 2020)
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    I drive a Ford because I like that they are in rally and have been for decades. Presence in rally works for fans and the general profile of the brand.

And I know its not a road car on the stages T16, you gobshite.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Remember Subaru before, during and after rallying?

The difference between then and now is that Subaru used rallying as the marketing tool to sell pretty much one car and that car was very comparable with the one on the stages.
    Now, the manufacturers use the series to market the brand, not a particular model. I'm just interested to understand how.

The difference between then and now is that Subaru used rallying as the marketing tool to sell pretty much one car and that car was very comparable with the one on the stages.
    Now, the manufacturers use the series to market the brand, not a particular model. I'm just interested to understand how.
    Outback/Legacy sales went through the roof also. My brother had 2 Outback's and even my mom has one.
    You did noy get my point. Look what Subaru was before, during and even after rallying. They went from irrelevant to the very good during their rallying era. And it's not only because of Impreza. Their reputation grew immensely.

10. Likes: Jarek Z (22nd October 2020)
    Liked 228 Times in 119 Posts
    I remember there were TV ad with Loeb some time ago, but I can't remember if it was for Citroën or Peugeot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Of course there are mechanism to quantify the effects but you would need to ask someone from a carmaker marketing department and he would not tell you anyway.

Unfortunately you didn't get the main point which is the brand awareness. It's not that much about a particular model of the car but about a brand as a whole. Simply put in ideal situation the brand reaches a state that the first car brand which comes to your mind whenever you think about cars is the one. And that works. You never buy a thing you never heard about. So the first thing to do is to get into the memory of as many people as possible. People remember much more something what is connected with some excitement or other memorable event. And that is not an advert which just cut your favourite movie or an album on youtube.

Adverts are boring as fuck, many people outright hate them, mostly skip them, install various ad-blockers etc. But when you go to the stage you go there willingly because you want to see that. Same when you watch a video from the rally. People even buy adverts in such events (yes, the team merchandize is nothing but an advert which people pay for). So the rally itself is an advert but much better working than what people generally consider to be an advert.
    Yes, I am aware of brand awareness etc. Look at Peugeot - a huge slice towards improving their brand identity is now spent sponsoring Djokovic - nothing at all to do with motorsport.
    I guess I am thinking as to what the more specific answer would be in terms of how a manufacturer converts their rallying programme into vehicle sales. Do they use adverts on TV / Indents on websites / Youtube / Social media?
    I do my best to try and turn ads off where possible and I don't read any printed publications any longer, so am I simply out of the marketing firing line or in the wrong territory (UK) to see the ads?
    So yes Mirek, I understand the importance of brand identity and agree that a lot probably skip ads, but that still leaves the question - how are the manufacturers converting the exposure the programmes bring into sales?

Yes, I am aware of brand awareness etc. Look at Peugeot - a huge slice towards improving their brand identity is now spent sponsoring Djokovic - nothing at all to do with motorsport.
    I guess I am thinking as to what the more specific answer would be in terms of how a manufacturer converts their rallying programme into vehicle sales. Do they use adverts on TV / Indents on websites / Youtube / Social media?
    I do my best to try and turn ads off where possible and I don't read any printed publications any longer, so am I simply out of the marketing firing line or in the wrong territory (UK) to see the ads?
    So yes Mirek, I understand the importance of brand identity and agree that a lot probably skip ads, but that still leaves the question - how are the manufacturers converting the exposure the programmes bring into sales?
    Simple answer - advancement in their technology. Any manu who is into motorsport is willing to spend on tech and engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Simple answer - advancement in their technology. Any manu who is into motorsport is willing to spend on tech and engineering.

Are you saying the only reason Hyundai and Toyota are in it is to advance their technology (ie with a view of it filtering down into road cars)?