Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I just watched Kimi’s first lap. I think it’s the best first lap I’ve ever seen in F1. 16th to 6th - incredible stuff. Needs to be applauded - mighty impressive.

IMO it’s better than Ayrton in Donnington. If he had drove like that all throughout his career he would be up there with the greats.

Bottas though, whew, he got his ass handed to him today. Hamilton really has the measure of him and I think this year even more so than others.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    They really hammered Stroll with penalties. The collision with Norris was a racing incident at best. It certainly was in line with Masi's gloves off racing mantra. Breaching track limits was his own fault though.
    Agreed

I bet Bottas would be feeling hard done by Mewrcedex not putting the soft tyres on his car at his pitstop after he clearly stating that was his preference. It was a very unhappy Bottas we saw at the post race interviews, which is understandable. Even with softs, he would have been comfortably ahead of Verstapenn and possibly taken the fight to Hamilton. So what was that about Mercedes?
    Tbf to mercedes the softs were not going to make it 20 laps as perez showed. But they could have pit him on the mediums. I know he didn't have a fresh set but as perez and ocon showed, even a slightly used set would have comfortably taken him to the end. A driver should be allowed to pick his own tire though and if bottas wanted to go on a different compound they should have obliged. None of that nonsense about a strategy locked in because hamilton pitted. Mercedes try too hard to over manage the races and it really isn't necessary

I don't understand why the stewards did not do anythiong about that one. It clearly was a dangerous weaving on the straight in front of a car with DRS open. It could have been a nasty incident. But where were the stewards on this occasion?
    Seemed like a clear cut penalty to me. Once again the stewards were inconsistent and poor in general. They probably spent more time looking at screens about track limits and missed everything else...except for protecting verstappen and screwing over racing point at every opportunity.

Albon clearly did not get good service from RBR at this race. He was put on the wrong tyres and stopped into bad traffic. He was made to look very ordinary, especially with Gasly ahead in what should be a slower car which incidentally is getting better service from his team.
    Those were some really dubious calls and I'm now convinced that rbr have zero interest in the welfare of their #2 driver. If i were albon i would have my reps on the phone with haas for that open seat. Anything is better than the complete disaster of rbr second seat.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Tbf to mercedes the softs were not going to make it 20 laps as perez showed. But they could have pit him on the mediums. I know he didn't have a fresh set but as perez and ocon showed, even a slightly used set would have comfortably taken him to the end. A driver should be allowed to pick his own tire though and if bottas wanted to go on a different compound they should have obliged. None of that nonsense about a strategy locked in because hamilton pitted. Mercedes try too hard to over manage the races and it really isn't necessary
    Yep, Bottas got the number two driver treatment today. That said, Mercedes had their eyes on Hamilton making the New World Record of 92 race wins. It meant more to Mercedes than for Bottas winning an insignificant race win. Besides the softs would have not been any good towards the end it seemed.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 25th October 2020 at 19:31.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I just watched Kimi’s first lap. I think it’s the best first lap I’ve ever seen in F1. 16th to 6th - incredible stuff. Needs to be applauded - mighty impressive.

IMO it’s better than Ayrton in Donnington. If he had drove like that all throughout his career he would be up there with the greats.

Bottas though, whew, he got his ass handed to him today. Hamilton really has the measure of him and I think this year even more so than others.
    I agree, it surprised me, l thought there was some kind of mistake going on with the transmission. Kimi drove a magnificent race but the car let him down. His duel with Sainz on lap 44 had me jumping out of my seat.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: truefan72 (26th October 2020)
    I notice logging into the site has improved greatly. So thank you Site Administrator
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    But he was ahead, l think Norris wanted to race him through to the next corner without taking precautions that Stroll might want to take the racing line. It was 50:50 at worst really. They both squeezed each other. The Steward replacement for Petrov was a safety car driver, so l can see how that might elude him.
    Yes , he was ahead , but Lando was inside , and Lance knew it .
    And , he was far enough inside that it broke Lance's front wing when they made contact .
    If you're going to try an outside move like that , you've got to get it done earlier , or expect the inside guy to try to hold his position on the inside .

I do get what you're saying , but Lando and Lance both arrived at the apex at the same time , and Lando could not have been farther to the right and Lance had lots of space to his left .
    I believe both deserved space . Many others showed good examples of how that's done at that corner this race .

11. Likes: truefan72 (26th October 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Yes , he was ahead , but Lando was inside , and Lance knew it .
    And , he was far enough inside that it broke Lance's front wing when they made contact .
    If you're going to try an outside move like that , you've got to get it done earlier , or expect the inside guy to try to hold his position on the inside .

I do get what you're saying , but Lando and Lance both arrived at the apex at the same time , and Lando could not have been farther to the right and Lance had lots of space to his left .
    I believe both deserved space . Many others showed good examples of how that's done at that corner this race .
    I am glad you described it well, because what you describe is pure racing. Not sunday crocket at the club. Stroll was nose ahead, that should count for something. With Masi's gloves off racing, Stroll did everything by the book. He had no obligation to make it easy for Norris who was hedging his bet to somehow claw his way back in front.

Well, it doesn't matter now, the punishment has been served and Racing Point's weekend was ruined when they had the potential to acheive more.
    William Shakespeare

13. Likes: truefan72 (26th October 2020)