Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

2020 Portuguese GP - Portimao

We come to the circuit of Portimao Portugal, with Rebull clearly on the up and Mercedes seemly stagnating as they typically do at this stage of each previous seasons. With six races to go, Hamilton can feel Verstapenn begin to apply pressure as Redbull typically do at the close of each previous seasons.

This is the first wildcard opportunity for Mercedes to close the constructors championship. And for Hamilton to set a new record for the most wins in F1. The battle for second place in the drivers championship also gets more interesting, as Verstapenn threatens to close up and pass Bottas to seize the runners up position from a lacklustre Bottas [mainly due to poor luck]. Bottas would need to be on his best form for the rest of the season or face the embarrassment of falling to 3rd in the championship. A situation that would definitely invite criticism from all quarters.

The battle for fourth in the drivers championship is equally close, with Ricciado surging clear with a good 10 points lead. With six races to go, there is all to fight for, for Perez in 5th at 68 points through to Leclerc in 8th position with 63 points. In the constructors, the fight for 3rd is even closer, with Racing Point leading the way with 120 points from very closely bunched 4th and 5th placed Mclaren 116 points and Renault 114 points.

The Portimao circuit have all the hallmarks to produce an eventful race weekend. It is undulating on the straights with crazy slopes into corners like the Nordschleife, fast flowing corners like Spa, a couple of tight chichanes like Monaco and likely to be smooth and less grippy like Sochi. Like Mugello, Portimao is a very wide track, hence overtaking shall be just as easy as was seen in Mugello.

This track was constructed in 2008, hence this is the first and probably the last time that F1 shall stage a race on this track for the foreseeable future. Which makes this race equally as historic as Mugello. The winner of this race may well go down in history as the first and only driver to win a race in Portimao in a F1 car.

This track is likely to be a true test for drivers and Pirelli tyres, especially if it rains. It is quite possible that existing tyre compounds may not hold up to the demands of this short 2.6km circuit. That said, Pirelli coped admirably with the little known Nurburgring track, it should do very well here too.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd October 2020 at 16:39.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Tazio (20th October 2020)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Wow skyF1 falling over themselves (especially DiResta with some ridiculous logic) to try and defend verstappen in shunting lance. Finally Davidson comes back and says 100% verstappen’s fault.
    DiResta is beyond hope. With his commentary. Sometimes I think he tries to be a contrarian just to stir things up
    : had to edit the name errors. I’m getting really tired with my iPhone these days autocorrecting my texts
    Last edited by truefan72; 24th October 2020 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Wow skyF1 falling over themselves (especially forests with some ridiculous logic) to try and defend verstappen in shunting lance. Finally Davidson comes back and says 100% verstappen’s fault.
    DoResta is beyond hope. With his commentary. Sometimes I think he tries to be a contrarian just to stir things up
    I try not to critisize media pundits if l can. It does not go without notice that they did not do a thorough analysis of the pitlane practise fiasco, a few races back. They seem to avoid controversy as much as possible. To the point that they have become quite irrelevant in their journalistic role. We now turn to independent views to get a thorough introspection into controversial events that occur during the race wekends.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 24th October 2020 at 11:31.
    William Shakespeare

Controversy starts the weekend as the homophobic Russian, Vitaly Petro is appointed steward for this race weekend. There is no love lost between Petrov and Hamilton. Hence, the decisions from the stewards office shall be very interesting at this race weekend.

This one strikes me like another very dodgy decision made by the FIA. But we shall be properly entertained every which way, l am sure.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    It looked to me like Max got off easy there , as it should have been obvious that Lance was going for another lap , being that his DRS was open and Max was never able to get fully along side of him .
    And , it sounds as though Lance let him off for it by saying he had no idea he was there .

I don't quite understand .

Hmm the decision by racing point to drop Perez is looking more and more ridiculous with every race and session. He completely outclasses stroll in Q1 & Q2.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Hmm the decision by racing point to drop Perez is looking more and more ridiculous with every race and session. He completely outclasses stroll in Q1 & Q2.
    I think Stroll coming back from Self Isolation lack the time in the cockpit to dialup his performance back to where he was before. He would ramp up in the next race, l am sure. That said, Perez is making a strong point about being dropped when his replacement is not looking good in a Ferrari that is able to make 4th in Q3.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 177 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think Stroll coming back from Self Isolation lack the time in the cockpit to dialup his performance back to where he was before. He would ramp up in the next race, l am sure. That said, Perez is making a strong point about being dropped when his replacement is not looking good in a Ferrari that is able to make 4th in Q3.
    The hiring of Vettel (which has certainly cost a boatload of money) is a total mystery to me. Aside from ensuring that Stroll jr. can look good against a former world champion (which he definitely is not against Perez), or for the PR exercise for the Aston Martin brand, this makes no sense. Vettel seems washed up, time to retire. Same as Alonso if you ask me, I believe that was a stupid move from Abiteboul.

Is Albon out of new softs?

That is a fantastic lap by Leclerc