Page 17 of 167 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    The Monza area stages will offer lots of surface changes (gravel on tarmac tyres!) and some interesting places, but in the end they are just extended super specials...and four stages (plus super special and shakedown) on the same roads, in different directions and configurations. At best they are like RAC park stages, at worst they are just boring straights-to-chicanes.

Liked 3,290 Times in 1,732 Posts
    At least it's something new!
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

3. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (22nd November 2020),pantealex (22nd November 2020)
    Liked 3,290 Times in 1,732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Stages 7-12 look great!
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

5. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (22nd November 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    I saw different Monza show and by having actually walked on it, all the bits out of the f1 track could be surprising. the f1 track will be boring. I always watched the show around the high speed ring, and that's was kinda ok... Circuit track could be more like extended rallycross than extended superspecials.

Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    . Circuit track could be more like extended rallycross than extended superspecials.
    Not sure what you mean but none of the Monza sections have a rallycross character (wide track, long bends). However, many elements familiar from super specials such as narrow roads, tight junction turns, surface changes and chicanes.

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Since Monte-Carlo, you've had little opportunity to ride the tarmac with the Toyota. How is your feeling with the car on this surface?

We haven't driven on the asphalt at all since January. Last week I was in Finland for days with the press. Usually, I'm not a big fan of it, but there it allowed the team to do some pictures and videos, while for my part, I picked up some sensations with the Yaris on the tar.

Is your feeling with the car already good or do you still have work to do?

These few kilometers, it was only driving and in no case tests. If Monza goes ahead, we will have some practice at the end of the month to prepare it and for sure this little day will be very important as our experience is limited. Honestly, there are still quite a few things we need to try to validate. During the Monte-Carlo, we had performed well during the first two stages. On the last day we had obviously made some small mistakes in the setups as Elfyn and I weren't in the game, which shows that we still have a lot to learn in order to get the most out of it.

What does the cutting proposed by Monza inspire you?

Other than a few pictures from previous editions, we have no idea what it will look like on the track. It’s going to be atypical for sure, but in the times we are going through, it’s better than nothing. I'm not sure what to expect for the 2nd stage. Casually, I think it's important that there be this day with real stages, because if we only play on the circuit, it will be light and it will not be worthy of a world championship.

You are 14 points behind Elfyn Evans. That's a lot and a little at the same time with 30 more units to go. What will your approach be?

We will do our best. There aren't too many questions to ask. It is imperative to win and see if that's enough. So far we have done a good job. There was no real pilot error and our pace has been rapid. We pay dearly for our mechanical worries in Turkey. By giving everything in Italy in December, I will not have any regrets about our season.

Rest assured, you are not the type to resign yourself? Do you still believe it?

Completely! With these 14 points, Elfyn certainly has the advantage, but concluding is not the easiest. This is especially true he has never been in this position. I don't intend to get into psychological warfare, but it's human to feel that pressure especially when it comes to the first title.

What would be the least painful way of not winning this 7th title? Steering wheel in hand at Monza and without regret after giving everything, or a few days before if the rally is finally canceled?

Like everyone else, I think if it stopped now… Even for Elfyn, I'm not sure he could celebrate it. If it falls like that, he'll have to deal with some remarks about whether it's a real title or not. I hope the rally will take place so that the champion can be celebrated.

https://www.autohebdo.fr/wrc/actuali...er-214410.html

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Not sure what you mean but none of the Monza sections have a rallycross character (wide track, long bends). However, many elements familiar from super specials such as narrow roads, tight junction turns, surface changes and chicanes.
    yeah, maybe a long shot what I said, time will tell.
    It was more about the feeling than technicality of road. You have fast and wide tarmac road, then short grass uphill, then gravel, then wood, then banked concrete superfast section. Lots of mud and dirt in sections (also on tarmac after junction). I can be totally wrong, but I figure we will see also big slides around, mixed with narrow roads, tight junction turns, and chicanes. That variety of surface changes imho will be way different than tarmac-tarmac-concrete sss.

Liked 1,830 Times in 708 Posts
    The Monza stages are not typical WRC stages that's for sure, usually it works well as an end of year party event not part of WRC but given how weird 2020 was, I say bring it on! I've been to Monza a couple times, once walked around in the infield forest roads and around the track and looking at the maps I think they've done all they could to use every last bit of circuit, paddock, car park, service road and forest trail to make the stages varied. As others have said while looking a bit point and shoot then chicane and so one I think it will be much better than typical super specials. The track is asphalt, the car park is muddy, the paddock and service roads are concrete and the forest trails are muddy gravel. On some stages it will alternate between those every 500m or so. And why not throw in a lap of the circuit I think it will be challenging and fun and as I've said: a weird event to end a weird year.

And we must remember the cars are on tarmac tyres and suspension. It's not always so easy to get the car sliding enough (remember 2018 Germany SSS) and the gravel/grass/mud sections will be interesting...

12. Likes: pantealex (23rd November 2020)
    Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
    Gronholm in Monza... but, yeah, Niclas Probably with Fabia R5 from MRC Sport.

14. Likes: AnttiL (23rd November 2020),Fast Eddie WRC (23rd November 2020),pantealex (23rd November 2020)