Page 14 of 167 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    Thinking realistically about Monte happening in January is I'm afraid more stupid than planning to go to Australia/NZ for 3 months...

Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What I mean is that you're complaining that FIA does nothing when they're doing the best job that's possible. The reason that WRC didn't react to the better COVID-situation in the summer was that rallies aren't organized quickly, you cannot just call up someone and ask to put up a WRC event next weekend.
    I don't agree that they did the best job possible, I think ERC/Eurosport did the best job possible. Organizing rallies isn't easy nor quick, but as you notice I pointed out at big empty gaps in the calendar, not 2 weeks pauses. I'm not suggesting some organizers create a new rally out of nowhere, I'm suggesting WRC could have used exisiting rallies and try to run as many rounds as possible while the infections were low. They could have used ERC rounds, Lausitz rally (that hosted ERT) or other national events, for example. And if that's too big of a burden to have the full WRC field, just send the RC1 cars, as PLuto said there were talks about, but they led to nothing.

You can however point fingers at Hyundai who didn't want to go to Liepaja, otherwise we would have now one more event in the season...having Liepaja take that early August slot probably then blocked off other plans for that time. You can't ask three rallies to host a WRC event for the same weekend hoping that one of them can run it.
    Is this actually a reliable info or just some Dirtfish speculations/rumors? In any case, between Roma Capitale and Estonia there was more than one month, enough time to fit two rallies. If Liepaja didn't work out (and it's not like it was cancelled few days before the start), I don't find impossible at all to find a round in whole August...

3. Likes: EstWRC (18th November 2020)
    Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    It has been said before; we know it's not easy to organise an event quickly - it's quite different to organising an event on a circuit. However, they've constantly been shown up as being reactive rather than proactive.
    And the most damning situation for them is how the ERC/Eurosport Events have handled it - and are handling next year. The WRC will have far more resources to organise events, yet they've fumbled around.

Far too many people are giving them a 'free pass' because of the Covid crisis. Their job - is to run and promote the WRC; they got it wrong during the lockdown, and they haven't got the return much better. Three events since March - three opportunities to sell the sport......all the while rival series have been running events regularly in the same period.

Questions should be asked - but probably won't.
    Very well said. They seem satisfied with the job they've done this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    There were some ERC cancellations also 2020
    ERC just had better luck with Covid19 than WRC
    Right events in right places/times.

2021 will also be easier for ERC because their season is not starting January-February, it has nothing do with good promoter.
    I don't see it as luck. Having huge empty gaps between rallies between July and October and having your calendar stretching until December is really not wise. If you really must have rallies this late, a remote place like Canarias is a good idea, for example.
    Having the calendar starting in January is what really saved WRC this year, considering they've managed to run only 3 rounds since the first virus wave + maybe 1 rally show. While ERC managed at least 5 rounds.

5. Likes: AndyRAC (17th November 2020),EstWRC (18th November 2020),Mirek (17th November 2020),pantealex (18th November 2020),Rally Power (18th November 2020),RS (17th November 2020),the sniper (17th November 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    Is this actually a reliable info or just some Dirtfish speculations/rumors?
    Well I already heard it from a reliable source back in the summer, but Dirtfish has later published the same information.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/wrc-h...ndar-millener/

It has not been confirmed what was the reason to postpone Ypres but it could well be another demand from the teams. If that would be true, we would have two less events due to the teams.

Remember when you criticize FIA, there's also the WRC Promoter and the teams at the negotiation table. It's not as simple as just "let's go to this event".

Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    Very well said. They seem satisfied with the job they've done this year.
    Have you noticed that the WRC Promoter doesn't like publishing bad news? Like the shortened itinerary due to bad weather in Sweden 2020, it was just ignored as much as possible.

Liked 108 Times in 52 Posts
    Well I already heard it from a reliable source back in the summer, but Dirtfish has later published the same information.
    Your source was, indeed, reliable.

8. Likes: AnttiL (18th November 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by br21 View Post
    Thinking realistically about Monte happening in January is I'm afraid more stupid than planning to go to Australia/NZ for 3 months...
    Yes, and with a bad situation in Sweden I don't see much hope for that either.

Sadly Northern Finland is also having a worse situation than Southern Finland (one of the best situations in whole EU), otherwise I would have thrown in Arctic Rally as a season opener candidate, while Southern Finland cannot secure a good amount of snow...

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Yes, and with a bad situation in Sweden I don't see much hope for that either.

Sadly Northern Finland is also having a worse situation than Southern Finland (one of the best situations in whole EU), otherwise I would have thrown in Arctic Rally as a season opener candidate, while Southern Finland cannot secure a good amount of snow...
    "Uusimaa" area is where? North? South?

But you are right, people in Rovaniemi don´t believe that Arctic Rally will be driven.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 9,309 Times in 4,937 Posts

Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    If it will be raining during Monza those gravel parts on circuit will be crazy... as it's mostly grass at the moment, you just literally drive through the field...

13. Likes: AnttiL (19th November 2020),pantealex (20th November 2020)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Didn't notice Sordo was confirmed. Entirely logical and safe pick...after the slightly less obvious last two (Ypres and Turkey).

Was talking with two people in the area just yesterday. I think Monza will be run in some form. The main concern is if they cancel all the normal stages and WRC gets decided on the circuit ones.
    Last edited by mknight; 20th November 2020 at 19:23.

15. Likes: AnttiL (19th November 2020)