Page 33 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    confirmed the snow tyres

At least... This would have been a proper shit show without them.

2. Likes: dimviii (2nd December 2020)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    My weather app shows temperatures rising after today and heavy rain not snow. Recce in the snow is far from ideal if it doesnt stay.

I still think Evans is favourite as whatever its like he doesnt need to push for the win like Ogier does (and the others will).

Liked 12,165 Times in 5,217 Posts
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

5. Likes: gorganl2000 (2nd December 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post

There is still a limit in wrc sporting regulations (15.1) for max 7 tire changes during the course of the rally. With 13? service/flexi service that would mean changing only every other service.
    Now that's interesting

Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
    Right now it looks more like 3 days of massive rain.

Trying to make sense of the tire limits. After reading both the Fia WRC sporting regulations, the Monza Supplementary regulations and Bulletin n4 I still don't get how the number is limited.

The first two documents only mention the total number. But in bulletin n4 (from here https://www.acirallymonza.com/notice-board/?lang=en ) it says:
    First choice 24
    Second choice 12
    Wet 12
    Snow 8
    Total 24.

If you pick Wet as first choice can you get more than 12? I guess they don't wear much in rain, but with all the handbrake turns on the circuit they might wear a bit?

Related question, how to find out which R5 is using what tires right now? (besides looking on stickers at SD/other pictures.)
    You don't "pick your first or second choice". It's the choices that the tyres manufactures make. For example, Michelin's first choice is the Pilot Sport H5. Crews can use a maximum of 24 tyres of this model.

So, there is no way that teams can choose the "wet" tyres as their first choice. Only a maximum of 12 tyres can be used throughout the whole rally.

Also problem of wet tyres is not down only to wear. They work better in a lower temperature, so if it's too dry temperature will build up too fast and "tyres will start to move a lot".

8. Likes: mknight (2nd December 2020),pantealex (2nd December 2020)
    Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
    There is still a limit in wrc sporting regulations (15.1) for max 7 tire changes during the course of the rally. With 13? service/flexi service that would mean changing only every other service.
    I think that this number of max tyre changes is mainly used to calculated maximum allocation per event, as it's written on that article in Sporting Regulations.

And if I am not mistaken, WRC cars can drive without spare tyres (Tanak drove Sunday in Turkey 2019 without them).

10. Likes: mknight (2nd December 2020)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-driven View Post

Also problem of wet tyres is not down only to wear. They work better in a lower temperature, so if it's too dry temperature will build up too fast and "tyres will start to move a lot".
    Temperature goes both ways. If it's too dry/too hot the tire is worn more and "unstable" (too soft).

But if it's too cold the tire is too stiff and doesn't work. Hence my point that for R5s either one of Michelin/Pirelli can work better in colder conditions than the other. Normally these tires are used on rallies like Germany with 15+ degrees and rain, not in 3-4 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Co-driven View Post
    And if I am not mistaken, WRC cars can drive without spare tyres (Tanak drove Sunday in Turkey 2019 without them).
    This is actually really interesting point, with service after each 13-16 km stage on circuit, will some drivers risk running without spare?
    If they then get a puncture the car will not actually be on a "public road" road section, so they can drive without rubber on rim? (I think Meeke in Portugal 2018 got penalty anyway?)
    Last edited by mknight; 2nd December 2020 at 15:23.

Liked 12,165 Times in 5,217 Posts
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

13. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (2nd December 2020),pantealex (2nd December 2020)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    So when predictions are even harder don´t forget Pickems!
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    This is actually really interesting point, with service after each 13-16 km stage on circuit, will some drivers risk running without spare?
    If they then get a puncture the car will not actually be on a "public road" road section, so they can drive without rubber on rim? (I think Meeke in Portugal 2018 got penalty anyway?)
    Meeke in Portugal 2018 had two of his five tyres broken. One of them was only a rim, the other was slowly delaminating. On the way to service he had to do a short street stage. He decided to switch the rim only for this stage to save the delaminating tyre for liaisons where it was necessary to remain intact. After this it was changed to the rules that you need to start a stage with four intact wheels. I don't think he got a penalty though, if not for touching chicanes.

But yeah, I don't think anyone will need spares on Friday and Sunday. No public road driving on the way.