Page 4 of 167 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ucci View Post
    Stupid or not; it is going to be the same for everyone; by the way, we are talking about BEST rally drivers in the world, so they must drive on each surface & in any weather and around each obstacle (tree, fence, building, barn, hay bale...).
    Exactly for being the BEST rally drivers of the world, they shouldn't be forced to fight for the world rally title on a event that cannot be considered as a proper rally.
    Rally addict since 1982

2. Likes: pantealex (26th October 2020),tommeke_B (25th October 2020)
    Liked 1,444 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    As you've recognized, the WRC got more events cancelled than the ERC and most of those occurred on a short notice after the lock-down; still the promoter managed to restart the series with a new top event and run two more without further delays.

On Ypres you're totally right; it was quite puzzling having the event date changed from October (after getting Turkey moved one week earlier) to late November, forcing Monza rally entry as a contingency plan (making possible to have the world titles decided on a racing circuit by stupid tires chicanes penalties).
    I will say this, it's harder when you have a world championship on your shoulders rather than, an all European one, especially since (in all it's irony) this year, the FIA went (truly) global with events in Japan,New-Zealand and Kenya whilst still running Mexico & Argentina (& Chile if you consider the proposed Sep. 2019 Calendar).
    However, the FIA & Promoter should've responded quicker to the situation once they saw events being dropped left & right, maybe even take an event from the ERC.... like Cyprus, might've been a good fix.

I know that as a fan it might seem that what I'm asking for is too much and I can't even possibly begin to realize the challenge both promoter, FIA and each rally organizer had this year and are still facing now (& next year). With all that said, the reason I'm asking this, is because I don't want to see this series die, I want it to prosper.
    I want to know that I can trust that the people up there are doing their bid so our sport will continue for another year and another and after that prosper (once possible). I want to know that I don't have to be in an uncertainty when it comes to the WRC, I want them to have a proper plan and for them to know when to be flexible and to not go crashing straight into the wall.

I truly hope we will see our series live on, because in my humble opinion, we do have one of the best sports in the world, and unlike F1 (yawn) the title fight we had for the past 3 (& a half) seasons was an actual title fight...
    Last edited by Eli; 25th October 2020 at 19:51.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

4. Likes: EstWRC (25th October 2020)
    Liked 414 Times in 101 Posts

6. Likes: pantealex (26th October 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Yes I remember the whole chaos before running Rally Estonia, and I'm saying kudos to their organizers, however, it's the FIA's & promoter's job to find a venue and make it happen so the championship isn't frozen for 6 whole months...
    Safari was cancelled in mid-May, Finland in early June. And Covid-situation was still pretty dire in June, only getting better in July. You don't really put up a rally in a month, nor can you ask multiple rallies to try arranging a rally for the same weekend and hope that one of them succeeds.

8. Likes: pantealex (26th October 2020)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Exactly for being the BEST rally drivers of the world, they shouldn't be forced to fight for the world rally title on a event that cannot be considered as a proper rally.
    Why not? It's just as much different from the usual rally as safari.

One such event would be an improvement of the championship. Rallying is all about being able to drive on everything everywhere. So why not an event on smooth clean asphalt.

It's something different, it will be just as much a challenge for the drivers.

10. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (26th October 2020)
    (making possible to have the world titles decided on a racing circuit by stupid tires chicanes penalties).
    The chicane penalties won't be used in WRC Monza Rally.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/monza...its-wrc-debut/

12. Likes: dimviii (26th October 2020),pantealex (26th October 2020),Rally Power (27th October 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Why not? It's just as much different from the usual rally as safari.
    The old Safari probably would have been different as a rally. The 2020 Safari wouldn't have been that different.

But doing a whole rally of 10 km super special stages on a circuit with with chicanes, cones etc., that would be completely unique to the whole WRC.

I'm still hoping and believing that Monza will be made into a proper rally and not like Monza Rally Show. I don't care if they do the Monza Rally show style stage as a "super special" on Friday and Sunday. Even if they do it twice both days, as long as Saturday is a long day of proper stages.

14. Likes: pantealex (26th October 2020),Rally Power (27th October 2020)
    Liked 479 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Liepaja was attempted to make into a WRC event but it didn’t work out, I guess it was their best shot. You don’t really put up a WRC event from nowhere in a couple of weeks.
    Problem for Liepaja was not to set event in a such short time. Everything was ready and Liepaja was in team plans already when all was stopped... Organizers don't tell on public the real reason because of "not to close any doors for the future".

Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
    We can speculate that the main reason was money The one thing the WRC Promoter told every candidate was not to forget about the "entry fee"

Liked 479 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    We can speculate that the main reason was money The one thing the WRC Promoter told every candidate was not to forget about the "entry fee"
    Money was not problem. Entry fee for Liepaja was more than reasonable - 450 000 EUR and government was ready to open wallet.
    Last edited by sindroms; 27th October 2020 at 09:20.

18. Likes: Tom K (26th October 2020)