Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dakar 2021

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

2. Likes: Mirek (8th January 2021),pantealex (8th January 2021)
    Liked 233 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    They can choose to have the roadbook in several formats, analogue and digital. Top notch, and dig roadbook is cool.
    priority drivers have to use only digital roadbook, rest using old paper ones. Priority drivers has paper roadbook sealed in the envelope, just in case if tablet version fails - otherwise they cannot use it. Everybody gets roadbooks only 20min before the stage start - to prevent 'big boys' using mapmans services as been years before when roadboks were given in the evening (mapmans overnight used to go step by step searching for shortcuts and difficult navigation parts) - that made even playing field for everybody, and now not only 'the rest' sometimes makes navigational errors as used to be every year, but leaders get navigation wrong sometimes also. And some of them are not happy

its a bit of Lottery now as co-drivers could easy make a mistake, but that is part of the game called Dakar ....
    Last edited by drive; 8th January 2021 at 15:10.

4. Likes: dimviii (8th January 2021),Jeppe (8th January 2021),Mirek (8th January 2021),pantealex (8th January 2021),Rally Hokkaido (9th January 2021)
    Nasser after today stage,about tyres

The three times winner of the rally has reached the rest day in second position in the general standings, almost 6 minutes behind Stéphane Peterhansel.

“It was not easy. We had two punctures. The tyres still aren’t helping us, like last year. I am really disappointed with the BFGoodrich tyres. Normally we have good tyres for this year and this Dakar. Compared to the buggy, it's completely, totally different. Still, we are second overall and next week we will try to do our best. It’s not been an easy week for everybody. A lot of people made mistakes and we are lucky that we didn’t make any big mistakes. Now I’m in a good position, in second place overall and next week will be very important. We’ll try to do our best”.

Sainz about this year navigation after ss 6

“Today the stage was more in the sand and on sandy tracks, so it was not so difficult for navigation, really. There were not many places where you could get it wrong, so everything was good. On one day I lost thirty minutes, on another thirty minutes too and on another day six minutes, so more than an hour in all. I’m not so happy with Lucas and myself, I’m not so happy with how we’ve been doing. I think we could have done a better job. Not with the navigation like it is here, but when there is a lot of tension and plateaux with many tracks and secret way points and all that, we didn’t understand it very well. We need to analyse really carefully because now there is a different philosophy for the road-book. My best moment is maybe today and the worst is all the rest of the days – I have been losing a lot of time, so it’s not easy”.

Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drive View Post
    priority drivers have to use only digital roadbook, rest using old paper ones. Priority drivers has paper roadbook sealed in the envelope, just in case if tablet version fails - otherwise they cannot use it. Everybody gets roadbooks only 20min before the stage start - to prevent 'big boys' using mapmans services as been years before when roadboks were given in the evening (mapmans overnight used to go step by step searching for shortcuts and difficult navigation parts) - that made even playing field for everybody, and now not only 'the rest' sometimes makes navigational errors as used to be every year, but leaders get navigation wrong sometimes also. And some of them are not happy

its a bit of Lottery now as co-drivers could easy make a mistake, but that is part of the game called Dakar ....
    Besides that, not mobile devices allowed, crews must put it in a box before start of the stage and it's sealed by a marshal. At the end of the stage, in front of the marshal, they can open it. They are also subjected to random scrutiny, even with metal detectors, to check if any one of the crew is carrying one secret device.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.8 KB, 12 views)

puncture at almost full speed for Yazeed Al Rajhi
    https://twitter.com/fernischumi/stat...84847766835200

9. Likes: Mirek (8th January 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Loeb still in the dunes...

Prokop today 2 punctures and 3 broken driveshafts (third some half kilometers before finish).
    Last edited by Mirek; 8th January 2021 at 17:40.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Loeb still in the dunes...

12. Likes: EstWRC (8th January 2021),pantealex (8th January 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I know it's just a regulatrity event but still today was the first ever (sort of) Dakar stage victory for Škoda by Ondřej Klymčiw The rally B-class 130LR which was never designed for off road events is the far lowest car of the whole entry field but on the other hand it proves that it was an extremely reliable and tough car.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

14. Likes: dimviii (8th January 2021),Jeppe (9th January 2021),pantealex (9th January 2021),Sulland (14th January 2021)

16. Likes: pantealex (13th January 2021)