Page 71 of 155 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
    I think in some interviews - just after announcement hybrid era - he told, that FIA expects great interest from manufacturers. Now he is talking about one in 2023. I would read this as: Nobody is interested so far

2. Likes: AndyRAC (9th February 2021),Portimao (9th February 2021),T16 (9th February 2021),WRC1 (10th February 2021)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/new-m...ra-after-2022/

Matton thinks a new manufacturer could join the hybrid regulations but not in 2022

I would much rather he tell it as it is... the sport needs to come up with something different to the current proposals in order to attract new manufacturers. Plain as day that it's going to go backwards if it stays as it is, or if the new rules are brought in. Time now for a bit of honesty, not this bullshit.

4. Likes: AndyRAC (9th February 2021)
    Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts
    On the end of the day, we will loose one manufacter...

6. Likes: cali (9th February 2021),T16 (9th February 2021)
    Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Time now for a bit of honesty, not this bullshit.
    I think it is time to face the music and admit the sport as it is now is not very marketable, we can't have 3-5 day events, it's just not possible to gather the interest of a new audience in this format.

The problem is not the regulations, see how WEC, Dakar and even F1 is doing.

We need a 1 day full of special stages with good quality live coverage. F1 does so well exactly because of that, a simple race of 90 minutes and that's it, onto the next. The hardcore follow all the FP and Qualifying, but thats marginal compared to race viewership.

But anyway tell that to the fanatics of long stages and 1000km events.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis44 View Post
    I think it is time to face the music and admit the sport as it is now is not very marketable, we can't have 3-5 day events, it's just not possible to gather the interest of a new audience in this format.

We need a 1 day full of special stages with good quality live coverage. F1 does so well exactly because of that, a simple race of 90 minutes and that's it, onto the next. The hardcore follow all the FP and Qualifying, but thats marginal compared to race viewership.

The thing is though - the events have become shorter and it hasn't worked. I'm not saying this is the reason - there's probably a whole host of them, but I think they need to evaluate what will get people interested again and work to that. The more people watching, the more Manu's join.

Liked 810 Times in 426 Posts
    Noone will hop on this sinking ship.

Liked 810 Times in 426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis44 View Post

Its laughable how short and uneventful WRC events are nowadays. F1 cars race one and half hours to complete over 300 km. WRC takes three days!!! not literally but you get my point.
    I'm not in favour of 1000km or anywhere near that but something has to be done.
    300km over 3 days is a joke. Just imagine telling that to a friend who knows nothing about rallying. He/she sure as hell would not be interested.

I'd rather take a 200km rally in a single day. Start early and finish in the dark(prime time).

Liked 102 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauri_J View Post
    I'd rather take a 200km rally in a single day. Start early and finish in the dark(prime time).
    You mean like same stage whole day. They usually do more than 1000km of liaison for these crappy 300km rallies.

12. Likes: AnttiL (10th February 2021),pantealex (9th February 2021)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauri_J View Post
    Its laughable how short and uneventful WRC events are nowadays. F1 cars race one and half hours to complete over 300 km. WRC takes three days!!! not literally but you get my point.
    I'm not in favour of 1000km or anywhere near that but something has to be done.
    300km over 3 days is a joke. Just imagine telling that to a friend who knows nothing about rallying. He/she sure as hell would not be interested.

IMHO you see it too much from a purist rally fan point of view. For the general audience it doesn't matter at all how long the events are. There are much bigger issues with the sport than that.

Also another thing you consider purely from rally purist point of view is this full day of action. Who of the general public do you think has time and will to follow the whole day? The long days bring nothing in relation to the general public, that is a benefit purely for the small percentage of the hardcore fans.
    Last edited by Mirek; 9th February 2021 at 13:00.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

14. Likes: AnttiL (9th February 2021),cali (9th February 2021),dupanton (10th February 2021),EstWRC (9th February 2021),Francis44 (9th February 2021),pantealex (9th February 2021),Rallyper (9th February 2021),WRC1 (10th February 2021)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    No. F1 does their races in three days, training and qualifying included. Dakar is...? ten days or so. Why couldn´t WRC run Friday to Sunday. No problem.

Only problem i marketing and Liveaction from stages in this very moment doesn´t reach the big audience.

One more thing: yes, the legs are today more to suit drivers. I agree at least one day could be longer. But then we have organizers problem with using roads for stages, we have no remote services except from refuelling. Very much can be changed.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

16. Likes: Mirek (9th February 2021),pantealex (9th February 2021)