Page 138 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1542
    Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/w...-2022/6653325/

The World Rally Championship could welcome as many as 12 new Rally1 cars in 2022 as the series enters its hybrid era, according to FIA rally director Yves Matton.

Next year the WRC will launch its new Rally1 sporting regulations which will see Toyota, Hyundai and M-Sport Ford field all-new hybrid rally cars to contest rallying’s top tier.

The cars are expected to be faster and safer than the current WRC machines and crucially will be fitted with plug-in 100kW hybrid system and a much tougher safety cell to protect the driver and co-driver.

Under the current rules the championship features 10 regular entries, but Matton believes the field could expand to 12 and maybe more come the second half of the 2022 campaign.

Toyota is expected to continue to field four cars along with Hyundai, while M-Sport is working on a plan to expand from two to three entries for next season, as previously reported.

“I strongly believe that with the information I have, but not for Monte Carlo [Round 1], that during the year we could have 12 cars,” Matton told Autosport.

“The feedback I have from the different manufacturers and the interest I have received from some drivers and I don’t know when, but it would not be in Monte Carlo, maybe it will be more in the second half of the year.

“I believe we will start with approximately 10 cars but it could go to 12 and maybe even more on some of the last events of the year.”

Matton says an idea to allow manufacturers to field a fourth car to score points in the manufacturers’ championship, but reserved for young drivers, is a possibility for the future, while confirming there has also been interest in Rally1 machinery from privateer competitors.

“I’m still convinced the idea to promote a fourth car for the manufacturer championship could be something for the future, but not mandatory, but a kind of bonus if they enter one more car based on maybe rookies or drivers without a huge level of experience in this kind of car,” he added.

“For sure at the beginning of the year it will be only manufacturer entries that will enter the cars.

“But from the feedback I have there are some privateers that have interest in Rally1.”

Toyota, Hyundai and M-Sport Ford are currently ramping up the development of their 2022 machines ahead of the start of the new season at the time honored Monte Carlo Rally from 21-23 January.

Toyota has been testing its new Yaris this month while M-Sport conducted a gravel test in Finland with its all-new Ford Puma and is currently embarking on a tarmac test in France this week.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Who's supposed to be the fourth Hyundai?
    Loubet? How long is someone going to pay if he continues like this?

Shared car between Sordo and Solberg while Breen drives full season would be great though. ( and Adams could switch who is nominated for manu points). But I doubt that will happen.

Liked 490 Times in 244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Who's supposed to be the fourth Hyundai?
    Loubet? How long is someone going to pay if he continues like this?
    No problem. Équipe de France FFSA Rallye has a lot of money...

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    But at some point they might decide to use it for example on Rossel instead?

I think sometimes Loubet gets threated too harsh, but lately there just doesn't seem to be any improvement.

5. Likes: pantealex (26th August 2021),TWRC (27th August 2021)
    Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/w...-2022/6653325/

“But from the feedback I have there are some privateers that have interest in Rally1.
    Yeah, sure…

7. Likes: cali (26th August 2021),Eli (26th August 2021),EstWRC (26th August 2021)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Matton hopes for 12 Rally 1 cars - marvellous. Isn't he lucky - what a great job he's doing. In the meantime, yet another manufacturer has joined the long list in WEC/IMSA with Cadillac signing up.......

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2,129 Times in 924 Posts
    Just another blabla bs from him..
    Ofc there are privateers, who would like to drive the new cars.. it's logical even without talking to drivers..

Only thing is that it needs money.. a lot of it.

10. Likes: Eli (26th August 2021),pantealex (26th August 2021)
    Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
    It's normal. 2023 marks the centenary of the 24h of Le Mans, everyone wants to be there and have a chance of winning it. After that we will see how many Manus will remain in the WEC

Liked 309 Times in 149 Posts
    And Cadillac is not the newcomer to this type of racing. WEC and IMSA made clever move with convergence of rules. You can produce one car and be competitive both: in USA and "Europe" (WEC).

13. Likes: pantealex (26th August 2021)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    And Cadillac is not the newcomer to this type of racing. WEC and IMSA made clever move with convergence of rules. You can produce one car and be competitive both: in USA and "Europe" (WEC).
    Yes, and particularly if you chose the LMDh option rather than the Hypercar, the overall costs will be very low (relatively), and with the possibility to sell cars as well to private teams. It’s a a no brainier to get involved really.

15. Likes: AndyRAC (27th August 2021),seb_sh (31st August 2021)