Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

2020 Russian GP - Sochi

We head to Sochi on the back of a recovery weekend for Mercedes at Mugello. A race that was a nightmare for Verstapenn as he saw himself slip back to 3rd, as Bottas recovered the 2nd spot in the driver's championship. The gap between Hamilton and his direct competition has stretched out to over fifty points, with Verstapenn looking increasingly out of contention for the driver's title.

This is a Mercedes track and is typically a Bottas track. This is the best chance for Bottas to recover lost points from Hamilton and possibly re-ignite his driver championship chances. This is a race that Verstapenn would dearly like to win and the track may suit this season's Redbull car. It may be a close race between Mercedes and Redbull. This race also presents Albon with a great chance to seize 4th place in the driver's championship.

The Renaults may go very well here as well. Hence it may present Mclaren an opportunity to consolidate 3rd in the constructors championship.

F1 CEO Chase Carey departs F1 from next season. Rumours suggest former Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicalli shall replace him. I think we should pay tribute to Mr Carey for the brilliant work he has done, especially in this very difficult season, navigating the sport through COVID-19 and somehow managing to stitch together a championship. I think he has made an important mark on the present and future of the sport.

This news raises the concern for future of F1. Concord agreement has been signed by all teams but the regime of the new regulations seem to not have the full support of the entire grid. Concern of "quick sand" effect occurring at the start of the new regulation with some teams departing or covertly withdrawing by selling out to new owners is looking highly likely.

We have seen this with Williams, Mercedes may possibly do the same.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th September 2020 at 09:56.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The most boring track on the calendar. Even more boring than Austria. At least there’ll be fans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    The most boring track on the calendar. Even more boring than Austria. At least there’ll be fans.
    That is worrying considering most countries are heading back into lockdown. Though Boris seem to have cold feet on the matter, technically we should be back in lockdown considering the spike in infections going on in the UK and some EU countries. The covert attempt at herding immunity is beginning to look scary and may backfire if the rate of deaths catches up to the rate of infections.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd September 2020 at 10:10.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    That is worrying considering most countries are heading back into lockdown. Though Boris seem to have cold feet on the matter, technically we should be back in lockdown considering the spike in infections going on in the UK and some EU countries. The covert attempt at herding immunity is beginning to look scary and may backfire if the rate of deaths catches up to the rate of infections.
    I’m not going to go into this, suffice to say the lockdown has been a failure, it hasn’t worked. We have immune systems that have protected us for eons without locking ourselves down, we should let ourselves build up immunity. Anyway I don’t live in the UK and am pretty isolated so chances of me catching it are pretty slim. The world needs to move on at some point, we cannot continue to stay locked up forever, life is too short.

Onto Stefano Domenicalli, I cannot see how his appointment is anything other than a massive conflict of interest. He has too much history with Ferrari to be running the sport - Ferrari gets enough special treatment as it is.

I’m not going to go into this, suffice to say the lockdown has been a failure, it hasn’t worked. We have immune systems that have protected us for eons without locking ourselves down, we should let ourselves build up immunity. Anyway I don’t live in the UK and am pretty isolated so chances of me catching it are pretty slim. The world needs to move on at some point, we cannot continue to stay locked up forever, life is too short.

Onto Stefano Domenicalli, I cannot see how his appointment is anything other than a massive conflict of interest. He has too much history with Ferrari to be running the sport - Ferrari gets enough special treatment as it is.
    LOL, you are still in lockdown so l don't understand your point buddy :-)

Yes Domenicalii's appointment would not be popular in some quarters, considering the FIA is run by another previous Ferrari team boss. That said, l wonder if there is any other candidate of Domenicali's stature and pedigree out there to do the job. I would probably say Ron Dennis would be a better alternative. At least, that would offer a fairer appearance to the F1 setup.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd September 2020 at 12:14.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    LOL, you are still in lockdown so l don't understand your point buddy :-)

Yes Domenicalii's appointment would not be popular in some quarters, considering the FIA is run by another previous Ferrari team boss. That said, l wonder if there is any other candidate of Domenicali's stature and pedigree out there to do the job. I would probably say Ron Dennis would be a better alternative.
    No I’m not in lockdown just that my house is remote and it is also my office so my life is no different now to what it was last year except that I’m not traveling as much.

Ron Dennis would be an ideal candidate imo. He is out of the game a while and I would say has very thin loyalties to a McLaren team that booted him out after so many years. Would be nice to see some Ron Speak back.

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Grr, I like Austria. Sochi is OK.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

8. Likes: gm99 (23rd September 2020)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Despite claims that the venue was designed with racing in mind, the race track has way too many 90 degree corners typical of mediocre street circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Grr, I like Austria. Sochi is OK.
    I have never been a lover of Austria. It’s too short, not intricate and I just find it dull.

Redbull is looking weak at the moment. They may have Renault, Mclaren and Racing Point in their hair during qualifying. The fight for 3rd in the constructors championship has heated up this weekend. It would seem Renault has found some mojo to take the fight to Mclaren. Racing Point is not quite on the top of their game this weekend it appears, They may be a different proposition during quali.
    William Shakespeare