Hybrid View

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How F1 used to be more exciting

Hey guys. I've been recently thinking about the older times and I'm just wondering about one thing- hasn't F1 used to be better, more thrilling and exciting?

Maybe these current cars are as fast as they used to be, but they've been missing one key factor throughout all these years- proper sound engines. I don't know if you've noticed, but when there are commercials where F1 is used, weirdly the older engine sounds are used. It was one of a kind type of sound.

Now when I watch these races once in a while I can't really get into it- it seems boring for me. When you buy an old Porsche, you've got the proper sound. Now when you get one, it sounds no better than a VW Golf GTI... What happened?

There were years where Schumacher was completely dominating, but after this was over the races were very exciting and fun to watch. We had few drivers actually fighting for championship. Now with Mercedes and DRS, Kers and other things- not fun at all and not even fair.

It's supposed to be a competition between manufacturers and drivers, but now we have few advantage giving tools that shouldn't be in F1 in the first place.

I'm afraid It's just not what it used to be. Does anyone share my thoughts?

2. Likes: Fortitude (24th January 2022)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen60 View Post
    Hey guys. I've been recently thinking about the older times and I'm just wondering about one thing- hasn't F1 used to be better, more thrilling and exciting?

Maybe these current cars are as fast as they used to be, but they've been missing one key factor throughout all these years- proper sound engines. I don't know if you've noticed, but when there are commercials where F1 is used, weirdly the older engine sounds are used. It was one of a kind type of sound.

Now when I watch these races once in a while I can't really get into it- it seems boring for me. When you buy an old Porsche, you've got the proper sound. Now when you get one, it sounds no better than a VW Golf GTI... What happened?

There were years where Schumacher was completely dominating, but after this was over the races were very exciting and fun to watch. We had few drivers actually fighting for championship. Now with Mercedes and DRS, Kers and other things- not fun at all and not even fair.

It's supposed to be a competition between manufacturers and drivers, but now we have few advantage giving tools that shouldn't be in F1 in the first place.

I'm afraid It's just not what it used to be. Does anyone share my thoughts?
    F1 is about technology, and an important area of research in the automobile industry was targeting noise polution. Now we sleep better as cars zoom by under our windows due the progress made in reducing noise polution. Racing in recent time has been as exciting; if not better than racing of old. Noisy exhausts do not increase the enjoyment. Nowadays, the quality of drivers are so high, such that the performance difference between the drivers is so small. The car may have 1.6 liter engines but the go just as fast as the big 3.0 liter engines. Now that is extraordinary progress.

We always hear the old days were better, l always hear things like bring back the the 3.0 liter engines, bring back the sound etc. But the action remains the same if not more exciting. The challenge of excelling above the competition is even higher today as in any time in F1 history. Looking back most of us fail to see the brilliance of the now.

On merit, the old times were not much better than the now really.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st September 2020 at 10:43.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Let's face it. If you took Nuvolari or Fangio and put them in a modern car, they would soon be competitive. Likewise, if you took Lewis Hamilton and put him in a Delage, Bugatti Type 35 or a Maserati 250F he would be competitive.
    Racers are racers.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

5. Likes: Jag_Warrior (6th October 2020),Tazio (27th October 2020)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In my opinion, nowadays F1 is more exciting as it is more modern. The new sound of the engine is a new sound of the engine. Everything changes and F1 does this in the right way.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianbay View Post
    In my opinion, nowadays F1 is more exciting as it is more modern. The new sound of the engine is a new sound of the engine. Everything changes and F1 does this in the right way.
    I have to respectfully disagree. While I admit that part of my preference for past engine formulas is because we all tend to think that what things were like in our younger days was the best of times, it's not JUST that (in my case).

At vintage racing events, when I hear a V12, V10 or V8 F1 engine screaming at full song, I get an almost sexual feeling from it. Not trying to be vulgar here, just telling it like it is. But when I went to the U.S. GP in 2019, the sound of those "power units" did absolutely nothing for me at all. Just speaking about the aural pleasure, I'd rank the sounds I heard from those units behind the old F1 engine formulas, the old CART 2.65 turbo formula, the current IMSA prototypes and even the NASCAR Cup series engines. To get a little risque, those range from high fashion runway models to pretty grid girls to barefoot country girls wearing Daisy Dukes. The F1 sounds were more like a plain girl with glasses sitting in a stuffy library. Yep, smart and advanced, but nothing that makes you want to ask her out.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

8. Likes: Fortitude (8th January 2022)
    Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Best most excited ng period was the 3 litre “Cosworth” era.
    1. Engine rules were stable for a long period
    2. All engines didn’t have to be the same, there were the Cosworths and other V8 entries and the Ferrari and other V12 entries. Each. Engine configuration had different strengths and weaknesses, meaning different performance at different tracks
    3. Aero rules were more open, meaning smaller teams could come up with clever innovations to allow them to compete with the bigger teams.
    Eg
    1. Lotus 49, 72, 78/79
    2. Tyrrell 003, 005
    3. McLaren M23
    4. Williams FW07
    Etc.

In the modern era where the rules are too restrictive, none of these teams would have been able to develope or compete with the top teams because there is no room to innovate

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hi, taking into consideration the dominance of certain teams or drivers, it's not a new phenomenon in F1. In the past, teams like Ferrari and drivers like Michael Schumacher have also had long periods of domination.

Finally, it's important to acknowledge that the introduction of tools like DRS and KERS is aimed at making the racing more exciting and competitive. While opinions may vary, these tools have been implemented to level the playing field and create more overtaking opportunities.

Ultimately, the subjective experience of whether or not F1 is as exciting as it used to be will vary from person to person. Some fans may prefer the old-school feel of the sport, while others may appreciate the modern advancements and changes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's interesting that you've been reflecting on the past and have some concerns about the current state of Formula 1. Many people share similar sentiments about the changes that have occurred over the years. The sound of the engines is indeed one aspect that has been subject to criticism. The older engines had a unique and captivating sound that added to the overall experience of watching the races.

You also mentioned the dominance of certain drivers like Schumacher and how that affected the level of excitement. It's true that during those years, there were periods of less competition for the championship, but the racing itself was often thrilling, with intense battles between drivers.

Nowadays, with technologies like DRS and KERS, some argue that it has affected the fairness and the pure essence of competition. These tools provide certain advantages that can detract from the driver's skill and the manufacturer's capabilities.
    Last edited by jackyyy; 21st May 2023 at 06:45.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    I think it is still exciting. We have a great race at COTA this past Sunday and I am expecting a much competitive season in 2024 as teams like McLaren and Mercedes are seem to be making a steady improvement.