Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Congratulations to Russell for his first F1 point. He should buy Leclerc a pint because Leclerc passing Raikonen, sapped alot of time from the Fin, gifting Russell 10th place.
    Ehm, Russell didn't score a point, he finished in 11th. Also, Leclerc didn't pass Kimi on track, he only finished ahead of him due to Kimi's penalty.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

2. Likes: pantealex (13th September 2020)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    A normally happier after a victory Toto was shown in the crowd not smiling while the anthems were playing .
    And , a short while later he took it off .

I understand the message , but the podium has never been a place where any kind of political message has been allowed .

Lewis has done a lot to put this movement forward , and F1 responded with a moment for the cause before every race .

In my opinion , and , I believe , the rules , taking it onto the podium , a sacred place , is going too far .
    It would look horrible to sanction him , but it deserves some attention , as it could set a dangerous precedent for future podia .
    In F1, l understand political statements has rarely taken place on the podium. But this is not unusual in sport. It may be hard to see this happening but the impetus for him to do this is a real and difficult problem. Below is a sky news video of a young lad sitting peacefully in police costody being attacked for no reason. He was not resistant or abusive. The police officer just launched into him.

https://news.sky.com/video/black-liv...nager-12066151

You might find what Hamilton is doing problematic but the message that he is alerting us about is more problematic and real and happens regularly without sanction.

Besides, this is a peaceful call for action to clamp down on this problem. If we don't heed this peacefull call for action, then the next level may not be to anyones liking.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th September 2020 at 18:29.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: truefan72 (13th September 2020)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    In F1, l understand political statements has rarely taken place on the podium. But this is not unusual in sport. It may be hard to see this happening but the impetus for him to do this is a real and difficult problem. Below is a sky news video of a young lad sitting peacefully in police costody being attacked for no reason. He was not resistant or abusive. The police officer just launched into him.

You might find what Hamilton is doing problematic but the message that he is alerting us about is more problematic and real and happens regularly without sanction.

Besides, this is a peaceful call for action to clamp down on this problem. If we don't heed this peacefull call for action, then the next level may not be to anyones liking.
    More white people are killed by police in America every year than black people.
    The video here shows no context about what happened. Just like with scumbag Floyd, a man that once held a loaded gun to a pregnant woman’s stomach. The only reason this is gaining traction now is because the DNC is provoking it through their control of the media. These stories are always provided with the racist narrative to provoke emotional reactions from people and then when the real story is leaked the media ignores it, just like they ignored the leaked footage of George Floyd where the police officers clearly tried everything they could to peacefully put him in the car, or the autopsy results. Or more importantly the testimony that Bill Clinton visited Paedo island with Epstein and was there with two young girls from New York.

Nearly all the stories I’ve read like this turn out to be different to what is initially reported when provided the correct context, and when the truth finally does come out, I’ve never seen the media report on it to the extent that they correct the narrative. Don’t blindly believe what you read in the MSM, like Lewis does.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 13th September 2020 at 19:47.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts

There is a time and a place for protest .
    They made a time and place for this protest .

As I understand it , political statements are absolutely not allowed on the podium , at least according to the previous Concorde agreement , and teams and countries have been fined heavily for it .

I made no comment about the actual statement .

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    There is a time and a place for protest .
    They made a time and place for this protest .

As I understand it , political statements are absolutely not allowed on the podium , at least according to the previous Concorde agreement , and teams and countries have been fined heavily for it .

I made no comment about the actual statement .
    Protest by its very nature is meant to disrupt the status quo and provoke conversation.
    The problem with designating "a time and place" for it, is that folks tune out and don't get to consider the issue.
    ESPN used to show the moment of silence and campaign before the race, but lately they just cut to commercials and come back right as they are already in their cars, thus negating the impact.
    One can react 3 ways to the valid protest that Hamilton is trying to raise awareness of.
    1. Ask questions, try and understand why there is a need for this protest, and understand the real issue at hand
    2. Be annoyed, complain about the inconvenience of having to be subjected to a troubling reality for many people who look just like him who are murdered/shot.abused week after week with no justice in sight...which prompted the entire protest in the first place.
    3. Be triggered and completely misunderstand what is actually going on and actively try and be an antagonist or actually be heartless enough to consider themselves in line with that kind of oppression, systemic abuse and racism.

Everyone who cares and has a platform is doing their part to raise awareness and shake people out of the comfort of "it is not my problem, I just want to watch sports" mentality.
    Naomi Osaka showed true conviction in her peaceful protest at the US Open and life as we know it hasn't ended, we are now just a bit more aware of the systemic abuses whether we acknowledge it or not, even if it makes certain people uncomfortable and unable to continue denying that these issues exist.
    The NBA, NASCAR, IndyCar, NFL, EPL and many other leagues have significant accommodations to allow peaceful protest so seeing Hamilton wear a t-shirt that asks for a singular and particular action to be taken against a real travesty of justice should not be offensive.

I also think labeling it political is a mistake. This isn't a political issue for or against a particular political entity or system of government, it is a humanity issue and asking for justice in a particular incident. I honestly believe some folks would have an issue no matter what he did even if he had a t-shirt saying stop (or convict the perpetrators of) child-abuse, rape, slavery or murder.

I implore you not to be triggered but to actually use it as an opportunity to understand why there is a need to highlight that and confront why you feel that way about the situation. We are all mature enough to be able to watch a race and think about things as well. If you can get bombarded by commercials then you can deal with this too. At the very worst, just observe and be empathetic without the need to make it about your discomfort or protocols of decorum were broken (designed not to offend the commercial interests rather than any ethical reason)
    See that a peaceful and respectful protest on a huge platform is a good thing and should be commended.
    He still drives phenomenally and puts on a good show, displays ultimate professionalism and stays out of trouble. Is well paid and lives a good life but still feels compelled to help seek justice. So a few moments of dignified protest shouldn't bother you but be applauded. Its not political, it's humane.

And that is all I'll say about this.
    Last edited by truefan72; 13th September 2020 at 22:49.
    you can't argue with results.

8. Likes: Nitrodaze (14th September 2020)
    Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    Congratulations to Russell for his first F1 point. He should buy Leclerc a pint because Leclerc passing Raikonen, sapped alot of time from the Fin, gifting Russell 10th place.
    Russel finished 11th.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

10. Likes: pantealex (14th September 2020)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Protest by its very nature is meant to disrupt the status quo and provoke conversation.
    The problem with designating "a time and place" for it, is that folks tune out and don't get to consider the issue.
    ESPN used to show the moment of silence and campaign before the race, but lately they just cut to commercials to the point where they sometimes come back right as they are about to take off on the warm up lap, thus negating the impact.
    One can react 3 ways to the valid protest that Hamilton is trying to raise awareness of.
    1. Ask questions, try and understand why there is a need for this protest, and understand the real issue at hand
    2. Be annoyed, complain about the inconvenience of having to be subjected to a troubling reality for many people who look just like him who are murdered/shot.abused week after week with no justice in sight...which prompted the entire protest in the first place.
    3. Be triggered and completely misunderstand what is actually going on and actively try and be an antagonist or actually be heartless enough to consider themselves in line with that kind of oppression, systemic abuse and racism.

Everyone who cares and has a platform is doing their part to raise awareness and shake people out of the comfort of "it is not my problem, I just want to watch sports" mentality.
    Naomi Osaka showed true conviction in her peaceful protest at the US Open and life as we know it hasn't ended, we are now just a bit more aware of the systemic abuses whether we acknowledge it or not, even if it makes certain people uncomfortable and unable to continue denying that these issues exist.
    The NBA, NASCAR, IndyCar, NFL, EPL and many other leagues have significant accommodations to allow peaceful protest so seeing Hamilton wear a t-shirt that asks for a singular and particular action to be taken against a real travesty of justice should not be offensive.

I also think labeling it political is a mistake. This isn't a political issue for or against a particular political entity or system of government, it is a humanity issue and asking for justice in a particular incident. I honestly believe some folks would have an issue no matter what he did even if he had a t-shirt saying stop (or convict the perpetrators of) child-abuse, rape, slavery or murder.

I implore you not to be triggered but to actually use it as an opportunity to understand why there is a need to highlight that and confront why you feel that way about the situation. We are all mature enough to be able to watch a race and think about things as well. If you can get bombarded by commercials then you can deal with this too. At the very worst, just observe and be empathetic without the need to make it about your discomfort or protocols of decorum were broken (designed not to offend the commercial interests rather than any ethical reason)
    See that a peaceful and respectful protest on a huge platform is a good thing and should be commended.
    He still drives phenomenally and puts on a good show, displays ultimate professionalism and stays out of trouble. Is well paid and lives a good life but still feels compelled to help seek justice. So a few moments of dignified protest shouldn't bother you but be applauded. Its not political, it's humane.

And that is all I'll say about this.
    This is not whether the protest "bothered" anyone .
    It is wholly about whether it is allowed in the regulations .

I believe it is not .

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Ehm, Russell didn't score a point, he finished in 11th. Also, Leclerc didn't pass Kimi on track, he only finished ahead of him due to Kimi's penalty.
    I was disappointed to find out later but could not log back in to amend my post. I thought he would be able to make it within Kimi's 5 sec penalty but somehow did not. Maybe next time eh!
    William Shakespeare

13. Likes: N. Jones (14th September 2020)
    This is not whether the protest "bothered" anyone .
    It is wholly about whether it is allowed in the regulations .

I believe it is not .
    Bagwan, you are coming across as someone who is nonchalant to this pressing issue of resolving racial brutality to people of colour. The regulations is not that important in the face of these humanity deficiencies. It doesn't affect you or anyone you know hence l understand you cannot relate to it on a personal level. But you must make allowance for it on a humanitarian level and place you or your children in that position. And imagine how you would feel. If can feel that it is alright for you to personally be subjected to racial brutality, then ok, you have a point. Otherwise, please just bear the moment as it takes you out of your comfort zone for only a short while.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    More white people are killed by police in America every year than black people.
    The video here shows no context about what happened. Just like with scumbag Floyd, a man that once held a loaded gun to a pregnant woman’s stomach. The only reason this is gaining traction now is because the DNC is provoking it through their control of the media. These stories are always provided with the racist narrative to provoke emotional reactions from people and then when the real story is leaked the media ignores it, just like they ignored the leaked footage of George Floyd where the police officers clearly tried everything they could to peacefully put him in the car, or the autopsy results. Or more importantly the testimony that Bill Clinton visited Paedo island with Epstein and was there with two young girls from New York.

Nearly all the stories I’ve read like this turn out to be different to what is initially reported when provided the correct context, and when the truth finally does come out, I’ve never seen the media report on it to the extent that they correct the narrative. Don’t blindly believe what you read in the MSM, like Lewis does.
    I am not sure how to reply to your post. It is surprising to say the least. This is the sort of thing that Germans were saying to themselves while millions of Jews where being systematically gassed to death enmass. There were statements like "Rubbish, nothing of the sort is going on".

You demonstrate the very problem that people of colour are fighting against; politically correct racism. You would not called them Niggers to their face, you would just marginalize their issues and ignore their suffering. George Floyd did not have a knife in his hand as the Police officer kneeled on his windpipe, did he? WTF are talking about?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th September 2020 at 12:17.
    William Shakespeare

16. Likes: truefan72 (14th September 2020)