Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Fastest drivers of all time!

F1, using a new algorithm, attempts to rank F1 drivers to determine the fastest F1 drivers of all time. While it appears foolhardy, it is interesting to say the least. To accomplish this feat, the algorithm would need to equalize the cars from different eras, the climatic conditions and the track conditions to ensure each of these drivers are operating under exactly the same competitive conditions. All of these, are to be based on existing data from the teams over the years.

The margin of error has not been published but one can guess that it could be as high as 20%, considering drivers from the pre-computing eras would not be adequately modelled in this study. Given these facts, F1 has published that Ayrton Senna is the fastest ever, followed by Michael Schumacher and then Lewis Hamilton. Considering the hybrid cars has broken most of the track records, it makes one wonder if the algorithm has got this one right.

I am usually very skeptical of these sort of studies, but l would love to see what the criteria of the data was and how they were able to bring the cars and the various conditions to the same level to be able to make this determination.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st August 2020 at 13:36.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    From the one article that I read, although it's called the fastest of all time, it only goes back as far as 1983. The data they are using is comparing qualy lap times against teammates. So Hamilton coming in at #3 is pretty amazing as he's always had very good teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    From the one article that I read, although it's called the fastest of all time, it only goes back as far as 1983. The data they are using is comparing qualy lap times against teammates. So Hamilton coming in at #3 is pretty amazing as he's always had very good teammates.
    Calling it "The fastest of all time" is the issue. They have to factor in all drivers through the ages to be able to say that. And it is not equivalent to base it on teamates either. Particularly since it is impossible to ensure the callibre of the teamates are the same across all the drivers listed in the top ten. Verstapenn ranks 4th with teammates struggling in the second poorly setup redbull car. How is that remotely equivalent to the calibre of competition that Senna or Hamilton has endured from their teammates. Think Senna versus Prost, Senna Vs Mansell, Prost versus Lauda, Hamilton versus Rosberg or Hamilton versus Alonso. Even Vettel versus Webber.

Unfortunately, it is not a very representative study. Where is Fangio or Stewart or Prost?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th August 2020 at 19:09.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    They can keep their algorithm, for me it was Jim Clark, simple as that.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    A pointless exercise. There are too many variable to possibly evaluate who was the quickest. The only way to really know is to put them all in the same car which can never happen now.

6. Likes: Jag_Warrior (27th August 2020),N. Jones (20th August 2020)
    Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    I agree - a pointless exercise just to stir up the fans. I don't really care about that.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    More grid girls. Fewer algorithms.

OK. OK. I'm going. I'm going. No need to shove me.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

9. Likes: pantealex (28th August 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    More grid girls. Fewer algorithms.

OK. OK. I'm going. I'm going. No need to shove me.
    Amen to that
    William Shakespeare

11. Likes: pantealex (28th August 2020)
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    Yes fastest from 83 onwards as data before that is sketchy ...
    silly list made by AI/Machine Learning nerds to make themselves feel good.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I agree - a pointless exercise just to stir up the fans. I don't really care about that.
    pretty much like those FIFA created best XI of the tournament/season teams...
    Tito Vilanova = :champion: