Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    The mess was made by Germans. If I remember correctly, they announced cancellation just few days after the calendar was fixed with Ypres and new slots for both Sardinia and Turkey. And talks about axe of Deutschland started a way earlier, so I they could not have been surprised that cancellation of their rally is inevitable.
    Come on, it's cheap to blame any organizers while you know very well that they are dragged by measures issued by state authorities often without any warning.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020),pantealex (1st November 2020),tommeke_B (1st November 2020)
    Liked 833 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    But you cannot take the championship away afterwards. You can't tell the teams "sorry for your efforts, but we couldn't arrange a world championship this year". It's a different thing if we knew this in advance and they could have agreed that there's a risk of not earning a proper world title. They might do it for next year...
    Yes, I agree to give this title to someone, it's too late to just cancel the championship. That's why I'd like to see at least the RC1 cars sent somewhere to run an already existing rally and treat it as a championship round, to legitimaze this season more. If we count Monza as a valid round, then a national championship event should count too. Hopefully it's not too late for his, but I wish it had been done earlier, to get as many rounds as possible ran before the second wave... Big question now is, where.
    But nevertheless, even with the title assigned, I don't expect Evans or Neuville to be seen as "real" world champions by many. Just on paper.

4. Likes: EstWRC (31st October 2020)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

I still claim that it's equally tricky to win a short season. How would have the tactics changed had they known it will be a short season?.
    thats a very valid point.

Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    ...they are dragged by measures issued by state authorities often without any warning.
    This is in every industry, from airlines, to the corporate world to event organizations.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 108 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    But they do. They cannot stop a virus, but if Ypres Rally was scheduled last week, it would have happened. Even if it was scheduled right now, it would have probably happened.
    Are you ware that two rallies were cancelled in Belgium last weekend? And that Belgium is going into a national lockdown on Monday?

8. Likes: AnttiL (1st November 2020),pantealex (2nd November 2020)
    Liked 833 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancia Stratos View Post
    Are you ware that two rallies were cancelled in Belgium last weekend? And that Belgium is going into a national lockdown on Monday?
    The decision of cancelling Ypres was taken a couple of days ago. Cancelling national and regional rallies is not quite the same thing as cancelling a FIA world championship round. Sure, they could have taken that decision earlier in case Ypres was scheduled earlier, we will never know. The point is there was close to 0 chances to run Ypres that late.

10. Likes: AnttiL (1st November 2020),Rally Power (4th November 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    The Dirtfish podcast told that Rally Liepaja didn't become a WRC round because Hyundai wasn't ready to go there!

Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    The Dirtfish podcast told that Rally Liepaja didn't become a WRC round because Hyundai wasn't ready to go there!
    That was a while ago wasnt it ?

It said they thought Toyota would have an advantage with all their Finland-based testing on similar roads.

They (with Neuville) had no problem with Ypres though...

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Or the crash of duval on the very first corner.
    https://youtu.be/Lp-a6DOEW_M

Or neuville
    https://youtu.be/d7l8UjlfUZw

14. Likes: pantealex (3rd August 2021)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    The most exiting with this rally for me is how quick the new i20 Rally2 is on asfalt.