Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts

No more party mode in qualifying

The FIA have announced their intention to ban engines' party modes in qualifying starting at the Spa race:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/...om-belgian-gp/

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    The FIA have announced their intention to ban engines' party modes in qualifying starting at the Spa race:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/...om-belgian-gp/
    I just heard that on Sky. I think it is another poor reaction by the FIA. I think equalizing it is a better way to go about it than banning it. If everybody has the same party mode for their engine then what is the problem. Of course, faster engines like the Mercedes, would have an additional edge which they would have anyway. So how are they going to police this one. Are they heading towards capping max speed to what was shown in free practice?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th August 2020 at 18:10.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

3. Likes: pantealex (14th August 2020),truefan72 (14th August 2020)
    Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    It seems to only be in place to slow Mercedes. This is not a great idea.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

5. Likes: pantealex (14th August 2020),truefan72 (14th August 2020)
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Quite frankly anything that slows the Mercs down is a good idea in my book. I suggested they welded a three ton anchor to the back of the cars but the FIA didn't agree

of course there's no guarantee it will work or not backfired.
    Last edited by SteveF1; 14th August 2020 at 22:01. Reason: typo

7. Likes: truefan72 (15th August 2020)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Whenever the FIA institutes a knee-jerk solution that's meant to squelch engineering innovations, I always cheer for it to backfire.

I believe that it was Martin Brundle who reported that Mercedes didn't use the party mode in Spain. If that's true, I'm looking for the Mercs to be that much stronger on race pace going forward.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Whenever the FIA institutes a knee-jerk solution that's meant to squelch engineering innovations, I always cheer for it to backfire.

I believe that it was Martin Brundle who reported that Mercedes didn't use the party mode in Spain. If that's true, I'm looking for the Mercs to be that much stronger on race pace going forward.
    The heads running F1 might know that F1 is supposed to be full party mode for the entire bloody race. Maybe there is a message to Mercedes that their "party mode" talk is making a mockery of F1 and that their "dominance" is becoming uncomfortable.

Ferrari and Red Bull only hope of regularly seeing the top of the podium is for them to run Mercedes kit and fly a white flag. In todays field, simply finishing on the lead lap is an accomplishment.

Records are falling like leaves in Autumn but are they earned in a field of two?.

Texted my brother to let him know F1 qualifying was on - his reply - "Why bother?".

No more party mode is progress, welding a three ton anchor on the back of the cars has merit...

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts

In spain they were just as fast in the race as in qualifying. Except for Verstappen, they are a second and more faster per lap than everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    The heads running F1 might know that F1 is supposed to be full party mode for the entire bloody race. Maybe there is a message to Mercedes that their "party mode" talk is making a mockery of F1 and that their "dominance" is becoming uncomfortable.

Ferrari and Red Bull only hope of regularly seeing the top of the podium is for them to run Mercedes kit and fly a white flag. In todays field, simply finishing on the lead lap is an accomplishment.

Records are falling like leaves in Autumn but are they earned in a field of two?.

Texted my brother to let him know F1 qualifying was on - his reply - "Why bother?".

No more party mode is progress, welding a three ton anchor on the back of the cars has merit...
    F1 has always had periods of constructor and driver dominance. In 1988, McLaren won 15 of 16 races and Senna captured 13 of 16 pole positions with the dominant MP4/4. Williams had their day in the sun and so did Ferrari during the Schumacher years (complete with bespoke Bridgestone tires for the Ferrari). Look at what Vettel was able to do 4 years running with Newey's Red Bull cars, but hasn't been able to repeat since. Because that's how it's always been in F1, I guess it just doesn't bother me like it does some people. CART was a series where there tended to be tighter competition up front, but even then and there, certain teams would sometimes dominate a season or two. If I wanted to watch constant toss-ups for wins and podiums (while I admit that would be desirable), I'd watch the current Indycar series, F2, F3 or Japanese Super Formula - which are all good and exciting series. But they're spec series and not F1 - and that's just my thing (warts and all).

Like Le Mans (which Audi and other VAG brands dominated for years on end), part of my fascination with F1 is because of the competition in seeing who can build a better mouse trap. Had Ferrari done it honest, and not cheated, they could probably have at least one of their cars up front now. And if Honda hadn't missed a BIG step while they were developing their first hybrid PU iteration, they'd probably have been up front before now too. Renault? I don't know what to say about them. Even with that cheater Ferrari engine in the back of their cars, they'd probably still find a way to foul themselves up.

IMO, the kids who study and work the hardest deserve the A grades that they get. If the other kids don't do their homework and fail, that's their fault. I just don't care for changing the rules midseason to get a desired result (or prevent an undesirable result), Balance of Performance rules or the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset that we have now days. I understand your point, but it's not how F1 works... or has ever worked.

Cheers.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

12. Likes: Bagwan (22nd August 2020),Whyzars (24th August 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    So how are they going to police this one. Are they heading towards capping max speed to what was shown in free practice?
    I realize your post was made before many details came out. But from what I've read so far, it seems that it's going to be reliant on policing the engine maps. All the engine manufacturers are having to submit engine maps to the FIA. If they wanted to, Mercedes could run party mode throughout the weekend. But then they'd destroy their engines in short order.

Toto and the braintrust in Brixworth seem to be looking at ways to find an engine mode that works for qualifying and the races. Less in qualifying (which stresses the engine less) and more in the race. Because Merc was so focused on matching/beating the Ferrari cheater PU, I figure they have more than enough in their pocket to deal with this, and possibly put the spank on in races even more than they do now. Even if I wasn't cheering for Hamilton in the Merc, I'd find that ironic and amusing.

The FIA = putting the Fix In Again.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I realize your post was made before many details came out. But from what I've read so far, it seems that it's going to be reliant on policing the engine maps. All the engine manufacturers are having to submit engine maps to the FIA. If they wanted to, Mercedes could run party mode throughout the weekend. But then they'd destroy their engines in short order.

Toto and the braintrust in Brixworth seem to be looking at ways to find an engine mode that works for qualifying and the races. Less in qualifying (which stresses the engine less) and more in the race. Because Merc was so focused on matching/beating the Ferrari cheater PU, I figure they have more than enough in their pocket to deal with this, and possibly put the spank on in races even more than they do now. Even if I wasn't cheering for Hamilton in the Merc, I'd find that ironic and amusing.

The FIA = putting the Fix In Again.
    Thanks for clarifying that one. Under normal circumstances, l can imagine that all engines on the grid use a variety of engine mapping for different state of the racing occassion. From rain mapping, slow running mapping, normal racing mapping etc. I am thinking that there is a number of mappings in use under normal racing conditions and quali 3 mappings are just other additional mappings. If my guess is right, then it would be tricky to police this.

However, if thde move is to have only one mapping, then it could be tricky also for the Ferrari and Honda. Hence, the gap might increase or remain the same in the process.

The FIA = F*ck It Always
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

15. Likes: Jag_Warrior (26th August 2020)