Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
F1 has always had periods of constructor and driver dominance. In 1988, McLaren won 15 of 16 races and Senna captured 13 of 16 pole positions with the dominant MP4/4. Williams had their day in the sun and so did Ferrari during the Schumacher years (complete with bespoke Bridgestone tires for the Ferrari). Look at what Vettel was able to do 4 years running with Newey's Red Bull cars, but hasn't been able to repeat since...
IMO, the kids who study and work the hardest deserve the A grades that they get. If the other kids don't do their homework and fail, that's their fault. I just don't care for changing the rules midseason to get a desired result (or prevent an undesirable result), Balance of Performance rules or the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset that we have now days. I understand your point, but it's not how F1 works... or has ever worked.

Cheers.
I like the burn that Ferrari and Schumacher still inflicts on some long suffering folks.

I remember every single one of those dominant years you list.

All of the periods of "dominance" had limits and Mercedes is now arguably at theirs. A minor/major change in spec coupled with aggressive and expensive development to wrest control from the dominant team has always been the way - 2021 and beyond does not have that and F1 has discouraged that for many years. How do the smart kids you refer to get on the paddock if the paddock is locked until next year or the year after?

In trying to win over those who would never cheer their efforts, F1 has painted itself into a corner with seemingly nowhere to go. Do they go to 4 cylinders with even less fuel and solar panel wings?

Mercedes have produced a staggeringly good vehicle but if they take to boasting then I am not surprised they have been called out.

Hamilton is one of only a handful talented enough to drive the beast without kicking up even a spec of dust. He has been superb. The only enforceable change to the rules that I see is for Mercedes be forced to hire grossly overweight slow drivers. That is realistically the only way that the field are going to bridge the gap in the foreseeable future.

Either that or start welding that anchor...