Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    F1 has always had periods of constructor and driver dominance. In 1988, McLaren won 15 of 16 races and Senna captured 13 of 16 pole positions with the dominant MP4/4. Williams had their day in the sun and so did Ferrari during the Schumacher years (complete with bespoke Bridgestone tires for the Ferrari). Look at what Vettel was able to do 4 years running with Newey's Red Bull cars, but hasn't been able to repeat since...
    IMO, the kids who study and work the hardest deserve the A grades that they get. If the other kids don't do their homework and fail, that's their fault. I just don't care for changing the rules midseason to get a desired result (or prevent an undesirable result), Balance of Performance rules or the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset that we have now days. I understand your point, but it's not how F1 works... or has ever worked.

Cheers.
    I like the burn that Ferrari and Schumacher still inflicts on some long suffering folks.

I remember every single one of those dominant years you list.

All of the periods of "dominance" had limits and Mercedes is now arguably at theirs. A minor/major change in spec coupled with aggressive and expensive development to wrest control from the dominant team has always been the way - 2021 and beyond does not have that and F1 has discouraged that for many years. How do the smart kids you refer to get on the paddock if the paddock is locked until next year or the year after?

In trying to win over those who would never cheer their efforts, F1 has painted itself into a corner with seemingly nowhere to go. Do they go to 4 cylinders with even less fuel and solar panel wings?

Mercedes have produced a staggeringly good vehicle but if they take to boasting then I am not surprised they have been called out.

Hamilton is one of only a handful talented enough to drive the beast without kicking up even a spec of dust. He has been superb. The only enforceable change to the rules that I see is for Mercedes be forced to hire grossly overweight slow drivers. That is realistically the only way that the field are going to bridge the gap in the foreseeable future.

Either that or start welding that anchor...

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    I like the burn that Ferrari and Schumacher still inflicts on some long suffering folks.

I remember every single one of those dominant years you list.

All of the periods of "dominance" had limits and Mercedes is now arguably at theirs. A minor/major change in spec coupled with aggressive and expensive development to wrest control from the dominant team has always been the way - 2021 and beyond does not have that and F1 has discouraged that for many years. How do the smart kids you refer to get on the paddock if the paddock is locked until next year or the year after?

In trying to win over those who would never cheer their efforts, F1 has painted itself into a corner with seemingly nowhere to go. Do they go to 4 cylinders with even less fuel and solar panel wings?

Mercedes have produced a staggeringly good vehicle but if they take to boasting then I am not surprised they have been called out.

Hamilton is one of only a handful talented enough to drive the beast without kicking up even a spec of dust. He has been superb. The only enforceable change to the rules that I see is for Mercedes be forced to hire grossly overweight slow drivers. That is realistically the only way that the field are going to bridge the gap in the foreseeable future.

Either that or start welding that anchor...
    The F1 anchor is on the Racing Point at the moment.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    How do the smart kids you refer to get on the paddock if the paddock is locked until next year or the year after?
    Seems like most of the the smartest kids are working at Brixworth and Brackley these days.

Jokes aside, with Racing Point/Aston, Williams and soon McLaren also sharing the dominant Merc PU, but without having the benefit of the dominant Merc chassis (RP aside ), I think that the FIA's piddling is going to affect the midfield more than the sharp end of the field. But we'll see. What to do about the smaller teams that are saddled with the now emasculated (cheater) Ferrari PU? Not sure. How to prop up the on again-off again, rudderless Renault team? Not sure. At best, this move *might* give some juice to Red Bull (I mean Team Verstappen ) to occasionally challenge Hamilton in the Merc.

I see your point. And I like good competition too. But if other teams can't bring the fire, I say that's on them. Sounds like you've been around for awhile too. So when has the FIA (whether under Balestre, Mosley or Todt) ever hit a bullseye? Like a broken clock, they've typically been right twice a day... on a good day. I feel your pain and frustration though. I've hated this sputtering, hybrid, "Greta Thunberg", PeeU formula since Day 1. Me, I wanted screaming, high pitched V8s (or like Vettel, V12s) that make your ears bleed when they whiz by. But I'm prepared to let this formula run its course... just as I feel people are going to have to do with the Merc team's dominance. As for Lewis, I look for him to retire if he gets #8. Short of a catastrophe, I think that #7 is pretty much a given right now.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I agree. surely it will make F1 less interesting? I think it will lead to fewer overtakes in the races but i hope im wrong... anyway i dont like attempts to hamper one team

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo44 View Post
    I agree. surely it will make F1 less interesting? I think it will lead to fewer overtakes in the races but i hope im wrong... anyway i dont like attempts to hamper one team
    Agreed. And certainly not mid-season.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Another step on the way of turning F1 into spec racing series. First time in a long time, we're being told that using a different engine tune between qualifying and race is almost evil or borderline cheating. Is there really ANY logic to this decision other than desperately trying to disrupt the Mercedes dominance by any means possible? The next step will be mandating an identical engine map for ALL engines for ALL weekends during the season, just because (they have no clue what else to do).

These folks at FIA are not very smart, aren't they? They are probably among the same people who came up with the incredibly dumb groupthink idea that engine development should be severely constrained and frozen from 2014 on, immediately locking the Mercedes engine advantage for years to come. Now they're frantically working to undo some of that damage. We're probably not far away from reverse grids and similar gimmicks.

7. Likes: Jag_Warrior (3rd September 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    We're probably not far away from reverse grids and similar gimmicks.

Last I heard, the reverse grid gimmick was still on the table for '22.

Another step on the way of turning F1 into spec racing series.
    Alonso once complained about having a GP2 engine in his McLaren. Who knows... he may get to drive an F1/GP2 car before his time is done.

10. Likes: truefan72 (6th September 2020)
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Whenever the FIA institutes a knee-jerk solution that's meant to squelch engineering innovations, I always cheer for it to backfire.

well just wait for the reverse grid sprint race instead of qually nonsense that is being talked about now...
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Regarding all the reverse grid qualifying stuff and so on, it's worth to mention that aside from the very slow Alfas dropping down the field, there were no overtakes at all among the top 6 drivers between the lap after the restart and the end of the race. So maybe it's not such a good idea after all?