Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 611
  1. #581
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,090
    Like
    5,231
    Liked 6,380 Times in 2,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Yep extra point for fastest lap.

    Changing your starting position so as not to sweep the road for rival teams drivers could be seen as slowing them...
    If sweeping was their main point, Tänak wouldn't have stopped on the stage but instead done the extra sweeping for his team mates. Dust was their main target this time.

  2. Likes: dimviii (22nd September 2020),pantealex (22nd September 2020)
  3. #582
    Senior Member EstWRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    9,006
    Like
    4,029
    Liked 7,883 Times in 3,293 Posts
    Who started these tactics hiding himself in forest before power stage and who was Tänak teammates with whom he learned this?

    Ogier himself.

    So don’t come crying here only about Ott and that comparison with F1 is just stupid.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

  4. Likes: dimviii (22nd September 2020),MarkT (23rd September 2020),steve.mandzij (22nd September 2020),TypeR (22nd September 2020)
  5. #583
    Senior Member Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    14,239
    Like
    2,765
    Liked 6,744 Times in 3,566 Posts
    You also have to question if Rally 2 is fair and what is it really for. I always thought it was so the fans could see more cars.

    And also for drivers to get more experience. But with the top teams/drivers this really isnt the case any more...

  6. #584
    Senior Member Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    14,239
    Like
    2,765
    Liked 6,744 Times in 3,566 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Who started these tactics hiding himself in forest before power stage and who was Tänak teammates with whom he learned this?

    Ogier himself.

    So don’t come crying here only about Ott and that comparison with F1 is just stupid.
    Calm down its just a discussion after Makinen's comments.

    And Ogier only used this tactic after being disadvantaged by snow-ploughing and sweeping, not when coming back in Rally 2.

  7. #585
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,090
    Like
    5,231
    Liked 6,380 Times in 2,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Calm down its just a discussion after Makinen's comments.

    And Ogier only used this tactic after being disadvantaged by snow-ploughing and sweeping, not when coming back in Rally 2.
    Go look at Sweden 2019 again

  8. Likes: EstWRC (22nd September 2020)
  9. #586
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    GB, Manchester
    Posts
    495
    Like
    238
    Liked 432 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Calm down its just a discussion after Makinen's comments.

    And Ogier only used this tactic after being disadvantaged by snow-ploughing and sweeping, not when coming back in Rally 2.
    what about 2019 Sweden and Sardegna?

    if M-Sport guys were in a position of possible title win, they would do the same.. it's a no-brainer that one wouldn't just give away points.

  10. #587
    Senior Member BigWorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,026
    Like
    266
    Liked 518 Times in 287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Re Tanak / Hyundai / WRC tactics.

    Can you imagine in F1 if a top team's car broke down early in a race. Then late on it got fixed and came back out and was just driven around to interfere with and slow other teams cars, and then they put new tyres on to steal the point for fastest lap ?

    There would be a furore and calls of unsporting behaviour.
    Sorry I have to nitpick but if a fastest lap of the race is scored from a driver outside the top 10 it doesn't give that point in F1. But I see what you're getting at.

    It's such a grey area this though. People want to see sportsmanlike actions but the drivers/teams will still want to make the best out of their situations as far as regulations allow them to.

  11. #588
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,090
    Like
    5,231
    Liked 6,380 Times in 2,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    You also have to question if Rally 2 is fair and what is it really for. I always thought it was so the fans could see more cars.

    And also for drivers to get more experience. But with the top teams/drivers this really isnt the case any more...
    There's two main reasons

    1. Driver power stage points (also in some cases the driver can still get to top 10 although under restart rules
    2. Manufacturer points. No matter how low the car is in the overall standings, if it's the second best car of the team, it will get manufacturer points.

    Rallying a WRC car is expensive, no one does it just to entertain fans. On some occasions they might use a restart day for testing to a subsequent event, not so much for "driver experience".

  12. Likes: pantealex (22nd September 2020)
  13. #589
    Senior Member Rallyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Östhammar, Sweden
    Posts
    6,212
    Like
    3,666
    Liked 1,881 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    Sorry I have to nitpick but if a fastest lap of the race is scored from a driver outside the top 10 it doesn't give that point in F1. But I see what you're getting at.

    It's such a grey area this though. People want to see sportsmanlike actions but the drivers/teams will still want to make the best out of their situations as far as regulations allow them to.
    A bit the same with Pontus driving "slower" than WRC3 guys. He wanted points in WRC2 and acted like he did bcs of that.
    It´s all about tactics.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

  14. #590
    Senior Member PLuto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Zlin
    Posts
    7,381
    Like
    280
    Liked 2,531 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    A bit the same with Pontus driving "slower" than WRC3 guys. He wanted points in WRC2 and acted like he did bcs of that.
    It´s all about tactics.
    But Pontus is driving "slower" also in times when he should fight with other competitors in WRC2

  15. Likes: AnttiL (22nd September 2020),dimviii (22nd September 2020),TypeR (22nd September 2020)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •