Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

2020 Belgian GP - Spa Francochamps

We come into Spa with the announcement of an extended calendar. As F1 revisits old historic tracks like the scary Nurburgring, Mugello, Imola, Algave International Circuit [Portugal] and the Instanbul track in Turkey.

The weekend shall commence with a revised rule on engine mapping that outlaws the use of the famous "Party Mode". Lewis Hamilton comes into this weekend with a 37 points lead over 2nd placed man Max Verstapenn. With Bottas a further 6 points adrift from Verstapenn. Verstapenn has established himself as the clear second placed driver and main challenger of Hamilton. Bottas who has been unlucky with strategy, shall be seeking to redress the loss of 2nd position at this race.

RAIN THIS WEEKEND

This is a track that would favour the mighty Mercedes as temperatures appear to be very moderate and dry. But rain is expected which means Verstapenn could be a real bother for Mercedes. Redbull must be clever with strategy to get in midst of the rapid Mercedes cars. Hence this weekend shall be a showcase of driving skills by Verstapenn as he sets about wrestling with Bottas and tries to ruffle the Meastro Hamilton.

The driver's championship has two clear battles raging; the fight for second place between Verstapenn and Bottas. And the very close fight for 4th spanning 4th placed driver Leclerc [45] through to 7th placed Norris. This group are within 6 points difference from Leclerc, with 5th and sixth placed drivers, Stroll and Albon having identical [40] points, and ahead of Norris by a solitary point [39]. Any of these guys could end up in fourth.

I expect Albon to level with or be within 3 points of 4th place at the end of this race.

In the constructors championship, things seem so much more clearer, with Mercedes almost doubling the points of second placed Redbull. The real interesting fight is the battle for the third spot. As 3rd through to 5th has one point each between each other. Racing Point's 15 points penalty brings them within reach of Mclaren and Ferrari.

With the extension to the 2020 calendar and only 37 points between Hamilton and Verstapenn, anything is now possible. Hamilton cannot afford any mistakes. And Verstapenn must be at the very top of his game to continue to apply pressure on Hamilton while keeping ahead of a very fast Bottas. We certainly are in for a great second half of this bizzare season.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 27th August 2020 at 13:38.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Well , you got in early with this thread , eh ?

You were probably worried that bagwan would start talking to himself again , weren't you ?
    Don't worry about him .
    He quarantined in the woods , eating some watermelon right now .

And , I didn't see you mention tires even once .
    They are going to be soft ones this weekend so Merc might struggle .
    It could be the Dutch doing deals with Pirelli .
    I saw a picture of an Italian guy wearing wooden shoes once , so .......

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Well , you got in early with this thread , eh ?

You were probably worried that bagwan would start talking to himself again , weren't you ?
    Don't worry about him .
    He quarantined in the woods , eating some watermelon right now .

And , I didn't see you mention tires even once .
    They are going to be soft ones this weekend so Merc might struggle .
    It could be the Dutch doing deals with Pirelli .
    I saw a picture of an Italian guy wearing wooden shoes once , so .......
    :-)
    Baggie, someone has to do it. Italians wearing clogs sounds very funny. Everyone seem to have got on top of the Pirellis.

Seen any bears lately :-) ?
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: pantealex (26th August 2020)
    Renault has pulled out of the Racing Point appeal. Leaving only Ferrari chasing this forward. The Pink Mercedes saga is turning hypocritical considering Ferari got away with their smokey engine without the ignomity of a public FIA decision.

I wonder if the appeal has any point to reveal under the circumstances. I wonder if Racing Point are proceeding with their appeal also.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th August 2020 at 18:38.
    William Shakespeare

Qualifying is GO!
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Though I'm not really a big Ferrari fan, to see them (and especially Vettel) wandering around at the back of the field is kind of painful. Yeah, they deserve it for that cheater engine/PU, but it's a shame that the other Ferrari powered cars have to suffer this humiliation too.

As for the sharp end... Lewis spanked all (as expected), but where was Bottas? He barely nipped Verstappen. I was rather amazed to see Ricciardo's Renault up there. Where did that come from?! And Albon, Albon, Albon... I like you kid, but I worry about you ending up on the horns of the bull if you don't start picking up the pace.

I'll have to watch this one on DVR (as usual), but I'm hoping for some mid race rain to spice up the show.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    As much as I like a wet rain, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain. These days I'm rooting for McLaren and they'll be nowhere with their low-downforce setup if it starts pouring.

Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    As much as I like a wet rain, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain. These days I'm rooting for McLaren and they'll be nowhere with their low-downforce setup if it starts pouring.
    I suppose you have heard that Sainz is out of the race due to exhaust failure which has damaged his engine.
    William Shakespeare

10. Likes: N4D13 (30th August 2020)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Unfortunately, you'll only have one McLaren to root for today, as Sainz won't be taking the start due to an exhaust problem.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

12. Likes: N4D13 (30th August 2020)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Good race from Gasly so far. The Ferrari's pace is painful to watch. Perez also going backwards in the early stages.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.