Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    How do you interpret the competitive situation between Hamilton and Bottas if the bolded is the case?
    What competitive situation?
    Have you seen them race each other at some point this season?

Without problems they just use their standard scenario. Push a few laps till the lead is big enough. Then slow both cars down till slightly above the speed of the 3th in the race, and maintain that speed untill the end.
    If a safety car happens, just repeat till the gap is once more 10+ seconds.
    They can both go a lot faster if needed, but they don't seem to use that speed to race each other. That can only mean they have orders not to.

But:
    We know that Bottas does not race hamilton, but i'm not sure whether hamilton will not race bottas if needed.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

Without problems they just use their standard scenario. Push a few laps till the lead is big enough. Then slow both cars down till slightly above the speed of the 3th in the race, and maintain that speed untill the end.
    They can both go a lot faster if needed, but they don't seem to use that speed to race each other. That can only mean they have orders not to.

But:
    We know that Bottas does not race hamilton, but i'm not sure whether hamilton will not race bottas if needed
    This is what I was meaning.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

But:
    We know that Bottas does not race hamilton, but i'm not sure whether hamilton will not race bottas if needed.
    I think Bottas was pushing Hamilton hard at this race which resulted in the drop of the tyre life that resulted in the puncture. They were racing each other allright.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    That's the point, isn't it?
    Well , I asked a question .
    The point was to get an answer .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Well , I asked a question .
    The point was to get an answer .
    William Shakespeare

So , I guess you don't have an answer then .

Just watching the second practice , and they mentioned that the softs for this weekend were too gooey , but that the sun just went behind the clouds , the temperature has dropped , and the teams might just change their minds about them as a result .

It's something that I forgot to mention when I was trying to explain how difficult it would be to predict the longevity of the skins .

So as I see it , you and I are 4 laps of missed prediction away from both seeing Pirelli as doing the job .
    You'd be happy if they had predicted 36 , and I can't imagine even having to try and figure it all out , let alone getting within 4 laps , with so many variables .

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    I think Bottas was pushing Hamilton hard at this race which resulted in the drop of the tyre life that resulted in the puncture. They were racing each other allright.
    No he didn't.

In less than 10 laps they had about a 10 seconds advantage over Verstappen
    40 laps later, they still had that same 10 seconds advantage.
    That means they both pushed a few laps till they had a good lead, and then slowed down to match Verstappen's pace.

If bottas had pushed Hamilton, they would have had a 50 seconds advantage over Verstappen.

Just watching the second practice , and they mentioned that the softs for this weekend were too gooey , but that the sun just went behind the clouds , the temperature has dropped , and the teams might just change their minds about them as a result .

It's something that I forgot to mention when I was trying to explain how difficult it would be to predict the longevity of the skins .

So as I see it , you and I are 4 laps of missed prediction away from both seeing Pirelli as doing the job .
    You'd be happy if they had predicted 36 , and I can't imagine even having to try and figure it all out , let alone getting within 4 laps , with so many variables .
    Agreed, and the decision to use softer tyres this weekend just highlight the fact that Pirelli are all of the place with their operation at the moment. After the punctures last weekend, l would have thought they would have taken a cautious path this weekend and stick with the harder tyres but with lower maximum laps threshold.
    William Shakespeare

Agreed, and the decision to use softer tyres this weekend just highlight the fact that Pirelli are all of the place with their operation at the moment. After the punctures last weekend, l would have thought they would have taken a cautious path this weekend and stick with the harder tyres but with lower maximum laps threshold.

[TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE ]
    William Shakespeare

It takes time to produce these tires , and they are bespoke to this series alone .
    It is not possible to make new ones in a week .
    So they produced , again . what they were asked for .

Perhaps the tarmac is acting slightly different to what they expected , but the point of going one step softer was always to make the two races different , which it will certainly do .

They are not "all over the place" at all .
    Not in the slightest .